Placing an "icon" in the address field for the browser

Ray Stevens

Is it possible to place a company icon (logo) in the browser address field
so that if a user copies it as a shortcut to his desktop the icon will be
there.

For example, like this: http://espn.go.com/

vMike

Ray Stevens said:
Is it possible to place a company icon (logo) in the browser address field
so that if a user copies it as a shortcut to his desktop the icon will be
there.

For example, like this: http://espn.go.com/
<link REL="SHORTCUT ICON" HREF="filewithrightsizedicon.ico">

You will need an icon program to generate the right size. I think it is
16x16 but can't remember.

Ray Stevens

Generating the icon is not difficult, it's how to get it to display in the
address field of the browser that I am unfamilier. For example, if you drag
the address icon in the link below to your desktop, the shortcut icon
displays on the desktop rather than the default IE icon.

Mark Fitzpatrick

Other than making the link, it's out of your hands. IE only saves the icon
when a link is bookmarked in your favorites. Then it cleans it out later
when the internet files are wiped out and the history is cleared. Firefox
will display it before bookmarking.

Hope this helps,
Mark FItzpatrick
Microsoft MVP - FrontPage

Ray Stevens

I did not have that site bookmarked and was able to drag the link, which
included the icon, to my desktop using IE.