Placing an invisible link on my website

Discussion in 'HTML' started by David Dorward, Jul 28, 2003.

  1. Lior Bobrov wrote:

    > I want to place a non-visible link on my website , eg :
    >
    > there will be a page , which includes only "Click here to download" link
    > and no one can see the actual file I am linking to (people won't see the
    > actual file when they move with the mouse on the link (onmouseover) , not
    > see the file when moving out of the link (onmouseout) and even not see the
    > file when clicking on the link and release the mouse , nor when clicking
    > and holding the mouse without releasing) .

    So you want to obscurificate the status message?

    Forget it, you can not do it reliably, it will annoy people, and there is no
    advantage to it. You have to give the URL to the browser so the browser can
    visit the resource, and anything you give to the browser you can not not
    give to the visitor.

    http://david.us-lot.org/www/hide/

    > For summary : people won't see the actual file in any way .

    That would be "Not putting the file online".

    --
    David Dorward http://david.us-lot.org/
    David Dorward, Jul 28, 2003

  2. David Dorward

    Lior Bobrov Guest

    Hello .

    I want to place a non-visible link on my website , eg :

    there will be a page , which includes only "Click here to download" link
    and no one can see the actual file I am linking to (people won't see the
    actual
    file when they move with the mouse on the link (onmouseover) , not see the
    file
    when moving out of the link (onmouseout) and even not see the file when
    clicking
    on the link and release the mouse , nor when clicking and holding the mouse
    without
    releasing) .

    For summary : people won't see the actual file in any way .

    How to do it , without using frames ?

    Thanks in advance ,
    Lior .
    Lior Bobrov, Jul 28, 2003

  3. David Dorward

    Steve Pugh Guest

    "Pete" <> wrote:

    A: So people know to ignore your advice.

    Q: Why should you keep on top posting?

    >"Lior Bobrov" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> I want to place a non-visible link on my website , eg :
    >>
    >> there will be a page , which includes only "Click here to download" link
    >> and no one can see the actual file I am linking to (people won't see the
    >> actual file when they move with the mouse on the link (onmouseover) ,
    >> not see the file when moving out of the link (onmouseout) and even not
    >> see the file when clicking on the link and release the mouse , nor when
    >> clicking and holding the mouse without releasing) .
    >>
    >> For summary : people won't see the actual file in any way .

    ><A HREF="---your file---" onmouseover="window.status='Download this
    >file';return true" onmouseout="window.status='---your website name---';
    >return true;">Download this file</A>

    Won't work -
    * If JavaScript is disabled.
    * In a browser where JavaScript can't affect the status bar.
    * In a browser where the user can configure JS to not affect the
    status bar. (e.g Mozilla)
    * In a browser where the URL of a link is displayed in a tooltip when
    the mouse hovers over the link. (e.g. Opera)
    * In a browser where the user can right click on a link and select
    Properties to see the URL. (e.g. Internet Explorer)
    * In a browser where the user can right click on a link and select
    Copy Shortcut/Copy Link Address.
    * When the user views the source of the web page.
    * When the user follows the link and sees the URL in the browser's
    location bar.

    Of course the reason it won't work is because what the OP asks for is
    impossible. Maybe if he could tell us why he wants to do such a
    strange thing then we may be able to offer a useful alternative.

    Steve

    Steve Pugh <> <http://steve.pugh.net/>
    Steve Pugh, Jul 28, 2003
  4. "Lior Bobrov" <> wrote in message
    > Hello .
    >
    > I want to place a non-visible link on my website , eg :
    >
    > there will be a page , which includes only "Click here to download" link
    > and no one can see the actual file I am linking to (people won't see the
    > actual
    > file when they move with the mouse on the link (onmouseover) , not see the
    > file
    > when moving out of the link (onmouseout) and even not see the file when
    > clicking
    > on the link and release the mouse , nor when clicking and holding the

    mouse
    > without
    > releasing) .
    >
    > For summary : people won't see the actual file in any way .
    >
    > How to do it , without using frames ?
    >
    > Thanks in advance ,
    > Lior .

    What you could do is use a download script:

    <A HREF="download.php?file=5234">
    and then the script will open the file that belongs to that number and send
    that to the browser. This way, the user won't know the file name or the path
    to it.

    Bart
    Bart van den Burg, Jul 28, 2003
  5. David Dorward

    Nico Schuyt Guest

    Bart van den Burg wrote:
    > What you could do is use a download script:
    > <A HREF="download.php?file=5234">

    Just curious: what is the code of such a script?
    Regards, Nico
    Nico Schuyt, Jul 28, 2003