plain english article on how asp.net works with http?

Guest

hi folks
does anyone know of any articles on the web that explain clearly what is
happening (in detail) when you post an .aspx page to the web server and when
it returns a new page to your browser?

I'd just like to know this sort of thing as I think it will make me a better
ASP.net programmer

Regards and many thanks in advance
CharlesA

Guest

Clarify, please. Are you looking for an extremely detailed breakdown of the
ASP.NET page lifecycle?

-KF

Guest

sorry ken, I could have sworn that I sent a reply to your helpful question.

I suppose I'm looking for something that goes into HTTP more than usual, I'm
aware of the page lifecycle, but I'm intrigued at how the magic is all done
with regards to http

thx John I'll read the stuff at that link
Regards, and thanks again
CharlesA

John Timney \(MVP\)

All asp.net really does is implement the HTTP protocol, and provide a set of
objects that make interaction with that protocol easier. If you want ot
learn about http, you can detract yourself from asp.net and learn that as a
seperate thing. Once a webserver recieves a GET or POST request for
example, it has a certain way of handling it - thats the pipeline. In
ASP.NET the pipeline exposes a set of enhanced objects which can provides
access to the runtime - that is asp.net. The pipeline cannot be removed
from the http protocol, so learn about both if you really want to understand
how IIS and asp.net interact with http.

http://www.w3.org/Protocols/

Regards

John Timney (MVP)