Plain Text With Hyperlinks

Torbjörn Svensson Diaz

Hi!

Plain text is elegant but lacks hyperlinks. HTML has hyperlinks but is
bloated. Is there a middle-ground? Is there some kind of protocol that
allows you to write documents that are essentially that way plain text
is except that they have hyperlinks?

Is implementing html-documents in a minimalist fashion the closest one
gets to what I describing or has there been some obscure historical
protocol that implements what I describe but which is now no longer in use?

Best regards,

Jonathan N. Little

Torbjörn Svensson Diaz said:
Hi!

Plain text is elegant but lacks hyperlinks. HTML has hyperlinks but is
bloated. Is there a middle-ground? Is there some kind of protocol that
allows you to write documents that are essentially that way plain text
is except that they have hyperlinks?

Is implementing html-documents in a minimalist fashion the closest one
gets to what I describing or has there been some obscure historical
protocol that implements what I describe but which is now no longer in use?

Best regards,

If you just want basic document will no special styling HTML can be very
minimal:

<title>Should have a Title</title>
Just write your paragraphs you can leave off the optional closing tags.
You don't even need the HTML or BODY elements, but I think at least
having the opening tags to organize the document is not too burdensome.
Just use an open paragraph tag to start a new one. Just type plain text
and the only other mark-up you may need is will your hyperlink which
minimally is for example to link to <a href="http://example.com">example
..com</a>. Doesn't took too bloated to me.

Jukka K. Korpela

What is elegant in plain text? I can see several possible technical reasons
for using plain text, but that's not about elegance. Plain text is rude,
primitive, and inflexible. Think about an old-fashioned mechanical
typewriter or line printer: they are the technical devices that were
designed to render plain text, due to lack of better technologies.

But most of us use "plain text with hyperlinks" in a sense. When you write
an e-mail message or a Usenet posting in plain text, the recipients software
quite often interprets URLs as hyperlinks. Maybe your newsreader does that;
test: https://addons.mozilla.org/fi/firefox/addon/78/ . This is a primitive
form of linking, suitable for plain text.
If you just want basic document will no special styling HTML can be
very minimal:

<title>Should have a Title</title>

That's not minimal at all. You can reduce it to
You don't even need the HTML or BODY elements,

It's nitpicking time! An HTML document always has those elements, but their
start and end _tags_ are optional (except in XHTML).

If you want the "elegance" of plain text in the sense of having fixed
division into lines (i.e. text is not reflown according to available width
and style settings), then you can slap <pre> and </pre> around the text.
They will even make the font monospace by default. And links are still
allowed.

There are many protocols that let you include more or less link-like stuff
into more or less plain text. For example, if you start editing a Wikipedia
page, you will see an editing environment where [[foo]] is a link to
Wikipedia page about foo and [http://www.example.com An example] is a link
to an external URL.

Joy Beeson

--