    Best regards,

    --
    Torbjörn Svensson Diaz

    Torbjörn Svensson Diaz, Nov 10, 2010

  2. Torbjörn Svensson Diaz wrote:
    > Hi!
    >
    > Plain text is elegant but lacks hyperlinks. HTML has hyperlinks but is
    > bloated. Is there a middle-ground? Is there some kind of protocol that
    > allows you to write documents that are essentially that way plain text
    > is except that they have hyperlinks?
    >
    > Is implementing html-documents in a minimalist fashion the closest one
    > gets to what I describing or has there been some obscure historical
    > protocol that implements what I describe but which is now no longer in use?
    >
    > Best regards,

    If you just want basic document will no special styling HTML can be very
    minimal:

    <title>Should have a Title</title>
    Just write your paragraphs you can leave off the optional closing tags.
    You don't even need the HTML or BODY elements, but I think at least
    having the opening tags to organize the document is not too burdensome.
    Just use an open paragraph tag to start a new one. Just type plain text
    and the only other mark-up you may need is will your hyperlink which
    minimally is for example to link to <a href="http://example.com">example
    ..com</a>. Doesn't took too bloated to me.

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

    Jonathan N. Little, Nov 10, 2010

  3. Jonathan N. Little wrote:

    > Torbjörn Svensson Diaz wrote:
    >> Hi!
    >>
    >> Plain text is elegant but lacks hyperlinks.

    What is elegant in plain text? I can see several possible technical reasons
    for using plain text, but that's not about elegance. Plain text is rude,
    primitive, and inflexible. Think about an old-fashioned mechanical
    typewriter or line printer: they are the technical devices that were
    designed to render plain text, due to lack of better technologies.

    But most of us use "plain text with hyperlinks" in a sense. When you write
    an e-mail message or a Usenet posting in plain text, the recipients software
    quite often interprets URLs as hyperlinks. Maybe your newsreader does that;
    test: https://addons.mozilla.org/fi/firefox/addon/78/ . This is a primitive
    form of linking, suitable for plain text.

    > If you just want basic document will no special styling HTML can be
    > very minimal:

    > <title>Should have a Title</title>

    That's not minimal at all. You can reduce it to
    <title></title>
    and in practice you can omit the title element, too.

    > You don't even need the HTML or BODY elements,

    It's nitpicking time! An HTML document always has those elements, but their
    start and end _tags_ are optional (except in XHTML).

    If you want the "elegance" of plain text in the sense of having fixed
    division into lines (i.e. text is not reflown according to available width
    and style settings), then you can slap <pre> and </pre> around the text.
    They will even make the font monospace by default. And links are still
    allowed.

    There are many protocols that let you include more or less link-like stuff
    into more or less plain text. For example, if you start editing a Wikipedia
    page, you will see an editing environment where [[foo]] is a link to
    Wikipedia page about foo and [http://www.example.com An example] is a link
    to an external URL.

    --
    Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/