    Finally... I am not the only one,, who could not get any Ruby Scripts to
    study and extend except the Blogs Tutorials floating here and there.

    Just my 2 cents for your information.

    Softmind Technology, Feb 17, 2008

  2. Softmind Technology wrote:
    > Finally... I am not the only one,, who could not get any Ruby Scripts to
    > study and extend except the Blogs Tutorials floating here and there.
    >
    > Just my 2 cents for your information.

    What kind of scripts did you look for which you could not find?
    - Blog tutorials are actually a great source for focused learning
    - If blogs fail you, there are now a number of commercial books about
    Ruby and Rails.
    - If commercial books don't suit you, there are a few free books about
    Ruby and Rails
    - There are the Ruby quizzes that handle a lot of current stuff
    - and if you're willing to search a mailing list, this one and the Rails
    one gets enough and more traffic of actual working scripts.

    I'm not sure what you couldn't find to study? There are a number of
    Rails & Ruby plugins, gems, etc. that are (naturally) available as
    source and could serve as a very good guide to self-study. What did you
    not find?

    Anyway, I'm sure there are people making money off Ruby. I've done
    implementations in days that would take me much much longer. I've been
    able to leverage on my Ruby skills for desktop, server scripts and Rails
    websites - it works for me. I have found a warm, embracing community
    that has helped me grow.

    I don't feel the need to push Ruby. I think programming is all about
    finding what works for you. If it doesn't work for you, you shouldn't
    invest time in it. There's no need to push Ruby. Ruby is not a
    monopoly - so, you don't have to worry about not being able to feed your
    kids if you don't know Ruby.

    On the other hand, if Ruby was insignificant, Sun (with JRuby) and
    Microsoft (with IronRuby) would not waste their time and money. There
    must be something right about Ruby for them to bother.

    I don't feel the need to say 'Ruby rocks!' or something like that. My
    productivity at work speaks for itself. If you're not getting
    productivity, it's fine - perhaps, you're better programming in another
    language. Part of being a good programmer is being able to identify the
    shortcomings and benefits of different languages.

    Go forth and learn something that helps you! It doesn't have to be
    Ruby. We're not here trying to count up numbers to say that we have a
    large following. We're mostly happy to say that we got *our* work done
    - on time, on budget and without losing our happiness over it! If it
    works for you, joy! If it doesn't, sorry!

    Cheers,
    Mohit.
    2/18/2008 | 4:02 AM.

    Mohit Sindhwani, Feb 17, 2008

  3. Softmind Technology

    James Britt Guest

    Softmind Technology wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I just read a very good real life blog based on ruby here..
    >
    > It warns a Ruby student undertaking a web based project or assignment
    >
    > Planning for a ruby project as a Student... Read here
    > http://ironruby.blogspot.com/2008/02/are-we-pampering-or-killing-ruby.html

    > Do read the comments as well.
    >
    > Finally... I am not the only one,, who could not get any Ruby Scripts to
    > study and extend except the Blogs Tutorials floating here and there.
    >
    > Just my 2 cents for your information.

    Is this Troll Week or something?

    Please do not reply to me.

    :)

    --
    James Britt

    www.risingtidesoftware.com - Wicked Cool Coding

    James Britt, Feb 17, 2008
  4. If I Google "ruby example" or "rails example" I get plenty of good
    information. I've put out a free Ruby book, there are others, there
    are free tutorials, tons of open source stuff to poke at on Rubyforge,
    IRC channels, forums, the ML (which you've obviously found), books you
    can get for cheap off ABE/Amazon/eBay, pay $40 for O'Reilly Safari and
    get access to all the books you want, go to a local Ruby users
    group...

    Are you telling me you've done all this? (Mostly directed at the blog
    author I guess)

    Don't blame the Ruby community for laziness, please.

    --Jeremy

    On Feb 17, 2008 8:11 AM, Softmind Technology
    <> wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I just read a very good real life blog based on ruby here..
    >
    > It warns a Ruby student undertaking a web based project or assignment
    >
    > Planning for a ruby project as a Student... Read here
    > http://ironruby.blogspot.com/2008/02/are-we-pampering-or-killing-ruby.html
    >
    > Do read the comments as well.
    >
    > Finally... I am not the only one,, who could not get any Ruby Scripts to
    > study and extend except the Blogs Tutorials floating here and there.
    >
    > Just my 2 cents for your information.

    http://jeremymcanally.com/
    http://entp.com

    Read my books: