Planning for a ruby project as a Student... Read here

Softmind Technology

Hi,

I just read a very good real life blog based on ruby here..

It warns a Ruby student undertaking a web based project or assignment

Planning for a ruby project as a Student... Read here
http://ironruby.blogspot.com/2008/02/are-we-pampering-or-killing-ruby.html

Do read the comments as well.

Finally... I am not the only one,, who could not get any Ruby Scripts to
study and extend except the Blogs Tutorials floating here and there.

Just my 2 cents for your information.

Mohit Sindhwani

Softmind said:
Finally... I am not the only one,, who could not get any Ruby Scripts to
study and extend except the Blogs Tutorials floating here and there.

Just my 2 cents for your information.

What kind of scripts did you look for which you could not find?
- Blog tutorials are actually a great source for focused learning
- If blogs fail you, there are now a number of commercial books about
Ruby and Rails.
- If commercial books don't suit you, there are a few free books about
Ruby and Rails
- There are the Ruby quizzes that handle a lot of current stuff
- and if you're willing to search a mailing list, this one and the Rails
one gets enough and more traffic of actual working scripts.

I'm not sure what you couldn't find to study? There are a number of
Rails & Ruby plugins, gems, etc. that are (naturally) available as
source and could serve as a very good guide to self-study. What did you
not find?

Anyway, I'm sure there are people making money off Ruby. I've done
implementations in days that would take me much much longer. I've been
able to leverage on my Ruby skills for desktop, server scripts and Rails
websites - it works for me. I have found a warm, embracing community
that has helped me grow.

I don't feel the need to push Ruby. I think programming is all about
finding what works for you. If it doesn't work for you, you shouldn't
invest time in it. There's no need to push Ruby. Ruby is not a
monopoly - so, you don't have to worry about not being able to feed your
kids if you don't know Ruby.

On the other hand, if Ruby was insignificant, Sun (with JRuby) and
Microsoft (with IronRuby) would not waste their time and money. There
must be something right about Ruby for them to bother.

I don't feel the need to say 'Ruby rocks!' or something like that. My
productivity at work speaks for itself. If you're not getting
productivity, it's fine - perhaps, you're better programming in another
language. Part of being a good programmer is being able to identify the
shortcomings and benefits of different languages.

Go forth and learn something that helps you! It doesn't have to be
Ruby. We're not here trying to count up numbers to say that we have a
large following. We're mostly happy to say that we got *our* work done
- on time, on budget and without losing our happiness over it! If it
works for you, joy! If it doesn't, sorry!

Cheers,
Mohit.
2/18/2008 | 4:02 AM.

James Britt

Softmind said:
Hi,

I just read a very good real life blog based on ruby here..

It warns a Ruby student undertaking a web based project or assignment

Planning for a ruby project as a Student... Read here
http://ironruby.blogspot.com/2008/02/are-we-pampering-or-killing-ruby.html
Do read the comments as well.

Finally... I am not the only one,, who could not get any Ruby Scripts to
study and extend except the Blogs Tutorials floating here and there.

Just my 2 cents for your information.

Is this Troll Week or something?

Please do not reply to me.

:)

--
James Britt

www.risingtidesoftware.com - Wicked Cool Coding

Jeremy McAnally

If I Google "ruby example" or "rails example" I get plenty of good
information. I've put out a free Ruby book, there are others, there
are free tutorials, tons of open source stuff to poke at on Rubyforge,
IRC channels, forums, the ML (which you've obviously found), books you
can get for cheap off ABE/Amazon/eBay, pay $40 for O'Reilly Safari and
get access to all the books you want, go to a local Ruby users
group...

Are you telling me you've done all this? (Mostly directed at the blog
author I guess)

Don't blame the Ruby community for laziness, please.

--Jeremy

Hi,

I just read a very good real life blog based on ruby here..

It warns a Ruby student undertaking a web based project or assignment

Planning for a ruby project as a Student... Read here
http://ironruby.blogspot.com/2008/02/are-we-pampering-or-killing-ruby.html

Do read the comments as well.

Finally... I am not the only one,, who could not get any Ruby Scripts to
study and extend except the Blogs Tutorials floating here and there.

Just my 2 cents for your information.

--
http://jeremymcanally.com/
http://entp.com