Platform independent distribution of Ruby apps

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Pito Salas, Aug 26, 2009.

  1. Pito Salas

    Pito Salas Guest

    I would like to take a Ruby app that I've written (that includes a bunch
    of .rb files and other resources) and to other platforms (I am using Mac
    OS X).

    More particulary, I'd like to write as simple as possible instructions
    for ech of someone on Mac, Windows and Linux, to install and run my app.

    My opening guess (which is probably wrong) is to have them:

    - install ruby from the web site
    - install ruby gems from the web site
    - package my application as a ruby gem, including (somehow)
    specification of other dependent gems
    - have them 'gem install' my app

    First off, that's already a bit geeky. And second of all, I am not sure
    it would be robust.

    Can anyone point me to the latest best practices?

    Thanks!!

    Pito Salas

    Pito Salas, Aug 26, 2009

  2. Pito Salas

    Guest

    On Wed, Aug 26, 2009 at 12:07 PM, Pito Salas<> wrote:
    > I would like to take a Ruby app that I've written (that includes a bunch
    > of .rb files and other resources) and to other platforms (I am using Mac
    > OS X).

    A couple of resources to look at:

    http://rawr.rubyforge.org/
    http://copiousfreetime.rubyforge.org/crate/
    http://www.erikveen.dds.nl/rubyscript2exe/index.html

    Of those, I have only ever used rubyscript2exe and that was quite
    awhile ago for a very simple app. I've looked at rawr since we use
    JRuby quite a lot these days, but haven't actually had a use case yet.
    We only really distribute apps internally, and for that we build gems
    and serve them from an internal web server.

    , Aug 26, 2009

    exerb is also an other option, but windows only I believe...
    http://exerb.sourceforge.jp/index.en.html

    Louis-Philippe, Aug 26, 2009
  4. Pito Salas

    James Britt Guest

    Pito Salas wrote:
    > I would like to take a Ruby app that I've written (that includes a bunch
    > of .rb files and other resources) and to other platforms (I am using Mac
    > OS X).
    >
    > More particulary, I'd like to write as simple as possible instructions
    > for ech of someone on Mac, Windows and Linux, to install and run my app.
    >
    > My opening guess (which is probably wrong) is to have them:
    >
    > - install ruby from the web site
    > - install ruby gems from the web site
    > - package my application as a ruby gem, including (somehow)
    > specification of other dependent gems
    > - have them 'gem install' my app
    >
    > First off, that's already a bit geeky. And second of all, I am not sure
    > it would be robust.
    >
    > Can anyone point me to the latest best practices?

    Use JRuby + Monkeybars + Rawr.

    Rawr handles the cross-platform packaging, and Monkeybars makes it a
    snap to build robust, crossplatform GUI applications.

    The .exe and .app files created with Rawr include everything but a JVM,
    which is pretty ubiquitous anyway. End users never need to bother with
    what language was used or gems or anything of the sort.

    --
    James Britt

    www.neurogami.com - Smart application development

    James Britt, Aug 26, 2009