Platform independent types

joseph cook

The recent discussion on PIMPL and opaque pointers made me think about
a construct I have seen commonly with respect to defining types on a
platform by platform basis. Unlike structs, obviously types needs to
be 'complete' in header files for ease of use.

What I mean is something like the following...
#ifdef PLATFORM1
typedef unsigned long unsigned64;
#elseif PLATFORM2
typedef unsigned long long unsigned64;
#endif

That way you can ensure that a given type is the same size,
independent of platform.

With all the vitriol against "#if", etc, does anyone have any other
methods for achieving the same sort of effect?

Thanks

Greg Herlihy

Most compilers already provide it.  And it's part of C++0x specification.

Technically, the C++ version of this header file will be named
<cinttypes>. However, the <cinttypes> header is probably not the best
choice to look for platform-independent type names - because it
defines macros with names like "SCNiFAST64" and "SCNo32" - names which
some may find a little cryptic.

Fortunately, C++09x will also include the header <cstdint> which -
instead of macros - declares various typedefs with names like
"int32_t" and "uint_fast64_t" which, as types names, are probably a
little clearer than the names #defined in <cinttypes>.

Greg

joseph cook

Fortunately, C++09x will also include the header <cstdint> which -
instead of macros - declares various typedefs with names like
"int32_t" and "uint_fast64_t" which, as types names, are probably a
little clearer than the names #defined in <cinttypes>.

Greg

Thanks! It's good to see that getting added to the standard. I guess
this is, as I expected, a valid use of #if's in C++ circa 2008, which
will soon be eliminated.

Chris Forone

Greg said:
Technically, the C++ version of this header file will be named
<cinttypes>. However, the <cinttypes> header is probably not the best
choice to look for platform-independent type names - because it
defines macros with names like "SCNiFAST64" and "SCNo32" - names which
some may find a little cryptic.

Fortunately, C++09x will also include the header <cstdint> which -
instead of macros - declares various typedefs with names like
"int32_t" and "uint_fast64_t" which, as types names, are probably a
little clearer than the names #defined in <cinttypes>.

Greg

cant include with #include <cstdint>, #include <stdint.h> works. is this
compiler-dependent?

cheers, chris

James Kanze

The recent discussion on PIMPL and opaque pointers made me
think about a construct I have seen commonly with respect to
defining types on a platform by platform basis. Unlike
structs, obviously types needs to be 'complete' in header
files for ease of use.
What I mean is something like the following...
#ifdef PLATFORM1
typedef unsigned long unsigned64;
#elseif PLATFORM2
typedef unsigned long long unsigned64;
#endif
That way you can ensure that a given type is the same size,
independent of platform.
With all the vitriol against "#if", etc, does anyone have any
other methods for achieving the same sort of effect?

As Victor said, you include <stdint.h>. Or if portability is a
concern, <stdint.hh>, or <stdint.hpp>, or <mystdint.hh> or
whatever. A header file in a platform dependent directory,
selected by the -I (or /I) option when you compile.

In this case, the implementation of this header for most systems
is to just include <stdint.h>. If you do stumble on an
implementation which doesn't support it, however, you provide
the necessary code by hand.

James Kanze

Thanks! It's good to see that getting added to the standard.
I guess this is, as I expected, a valid use of #if's in C++
circa 2008, which will soon be eliminated.

No, it's not a valid use of #if's. I've used my own stdint.hh
for years now, with no #if's.

In any reasonable project, there's a directory per target
platform, for the platform specific stuff. You don't mix stuff
for different platforms in the same file; you choose which file
you include by means of a -I (or /I) option to the compiler.

There is one valid use of #if's: include guards, but that's the
only one I've ever really found.

Erik Wikström

cant include with #include <cstdint>, #include <stdint.h> works. is this
compiler-dependent?

As others have pointed out, currently there is no stdint in C++ (but it
will be in C++09, where it will be called <cstdint>), but you can use
the C version of the file <stdint.h>.

Chris Forone

Erik said:
As others have pointed out, currently there is no stdint in C++ (but it
will be in C++09, where it will be called <cstdint>), but you can use
the C version of the file <stdint.h>.

thanks! cheers, chris