Platform Problems

charles

Friends, Romans, Countrymen!

I'm spoiled. I have a Mac. And it's easy as heck to write a web page.
I use HTML 3.2 using a couple of manuals that explain the various tags.
I mainly like to put up my photographs for family and friends, and make
simple presentations.

So this friend of mine who has a windows machine says she wants to do
the same thing. She took a class in Powerpoint and still can't do it.
She hasn't been able to make any improvements to her home page, which
also happened to be her class project.

I took her page, which was approximately hundreds of lines long, and
did the same thing with about three dozen lines. Okay, she says, how
do I do that?

That's when the problems began. In my case, I open a BBEdit page and
start writing. When I have something I think I should look at, I save
the page then drag and drop the document's icon onto the browser icon.
Presto, I'm looking at a page, or at least something I can get busy
debugging. After that, I open Fetch and upload it to my directory.

Can I do the same thing on the windows machine? I'm not there because
this person lives over 200 miles away, so I don't know what she's
really doing. But she can't find any way to take the code I send to
her via email, or have her download off the web, and modify it, save
it, look at it in her browser. She can't do it in Word or with
anything else she has.

Can someone explain as I did above how to write pages on a windows
machine with the windows equivalents of BBEdit, the browser (I.E.),
and Fetch? Shouldn't the process be pretty much the same?

Perhaps there is a web page someone can suggest that has detailed
instructions we can use as well as some edit/FTP utilities that are
simple, free, and can be downloaded to her computer.

I just want her to be able to do this HTML thing same as me. She's
discouraged right now because she can't do the same thing as I do.

Thank you.

Paul Goodwin

charles said:
She can't do it in Word or with
anything else she has.

Notepad. Save with .htm extension (but don't close it) & open it in a
browser. Modify the code, hit save, refresh the browser, repeat as needed.
Can't get any simpler.

Daniel R. Tobias

Paul said:
Notepad. Save with .htm extension (but don't close it) & open it in a
browser. Modify the code, hit save, refresh the browser, repeat as needed.
Can't get any simpler.

Notepad is rather limiting as a text editor; I prefer UltraEdit, though
this costs money beyond an evaluation period.
http://www.ultraedit.com/

And I prefer saving HTML files with the .html extension instead of the
dumbed-down Microsoftism ".htm" (left over from ancient days when
DOS/Windows didn't support long filenames). The file format is HTML,
after all, not HTM.

Paul Goodwin

Daniel R. Tobias said:
Notepad is rather limiting as a text editor; I prefer UltraEdit, though
this costs money beyond an evaluation period.
http://www.ultraedit.com/

Agreed. I prefer HTMLKit myself, but the OP's friend would appear to need
something extremely simple, at least until she has a grip on what she's
doing & wants to do. Notepad is a good starting point for that IMO since she
already has it.

Liz

In message <[email protected]>
Paul Goodwin said:
Agreed. I prefer HTMLKit myself, but the OP's friend would appear to need
something extremely simple, at least until she has a grip on what she's
doing & wants to do. Notepad is a good starting point for that IMO since she
already has it.
But having your tags colour-coded is *very* useful IME.

Liz

charles

Paul Goodwin said:
Notepad. Save with .htm extension (but don't close it) & open it in a
browser. Modify the code, hit save, refresh the browser, repeat as needed.
Can't get any simpler.

Okay, here's the latest.

She writes:

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

I tried exactly what you told me:

Pasted the following into a Notepad document.

<head>
<title>hello.htm</title>
</head>
Hello

Saved as TEXT

Then opened it with my
browser (either by drag/drop or by using the
"open" command in your browser).

It looks like a little pad with text on it.
Nothing else.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Where do we go from here?

charles

Disco

charles wrote:
Okay, here's the latest.

She writes:

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

I tried exactly what you told me:

Pasted the following into a Notepad document.

<head>
<title>hello.htm</title>
</head>
Hello

Saved as TEXT

Save as "hello.htm" and make sure the file type in "All Files"... that
should help

Paul Goodwin

charles said:
Okay, here's the latest.

She writes:

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

I tried exactly what you told me:

Pasted the following into a Notepad document.

<head>
<title>hello.htm</title>
</head>
Hello

Saved as TEXT

She's saved it as text so that's what it will display as. She needs to save
it as "hello.htm" or "hello.html"

charles

Paul Goodwin said:
She's saved it as text so that's what it will display as. She needs to save
it as "hello.htm" or "hello.html"

Disco and Paul (and others):
Oh my, my, my!
It did work.

So, thanks for the help and we will take it from here.

Best wishes,

charles