Platform Problems

Discussion in 'HTML' started by charles, Oct 5, 2003.

  1. charles

    charles Guest

    Friends, Romans, Countrymen!

    I'm spoiled. I have a Mac. And it's easy as heck to write a web page.
    I use HTML 3.2 using a couple of manuals that explain the various tags.
    I mainly like to put up my photographs for family and friends, and make
    simple presentations.

    So this friend of mine who has a windows machine says she wants to do
    the same thing. She took a class in Powerpoint and still can't do it.
    She hasn't been able to make any improvements to her home page, which
    also happened to be her class project.

    I took her page, which was approximately hundreds of lines long, and
    did the same thing with about three dozen lines. Okay, she says, how
    do I do that?

    That's when the problems began. In my case, I open a BBEdit page and
    start writing. When I have something I think I should look at, I save
    the page then drag and drop the document's icon onto the browser icon.
    Presto, I'm looking at a page, or at least something I can get busy
    debugging. After that, I open Fetch and upload it to my directory.

    Can I do the same thing on the windows machine? I'm not there because
    this person lives over 200 miles away, so I don't know what she's
    really doing. But she can't find any way to take the code I send to
    her via email, or have her download off the web, and modify it, save
    it, look at it in her browser. She can't do it in Word or with
    anything else she has.

    Can someone explain as I did above how to write pages on a windows
    machine with the windows equivalents of BBEdit, the browser (I.E.),
    and Fetch? Shouldn't the process be pretty much the same?

    Perhaps there is a web page someone can suggest that has detailed
    instructions we can use as well as some edit/FTP utilities that are
    simple, free, and can be downloaded to her computer.

    I just want her to be able to do this HTML thing same as me. She's
    discouraged right now because she can't do the same thing as I do.

    Thank you.

    charles, Oct 5, 2003

  2. charles

    Paul Goodwin Guest

    "charles" <> wrote in message

    > She can't do it in Word or with
    > anything else she has.

    Notepad. Save with .htm extension (but don't close it) & open it in a
    browser. Modify the code, hit save, refresh the browser, repeat as needed.
    Can't get any simpler.

    --

    Paul

    Paul Goodwin, Oct 5, 2003

  3. Paul Goodwin wrote:

    > Notepad. Save with .htm extension (but don't close it) & open it in a
    > browser. Modify the code, hit save, refresh the browser, repeat as needed.
    > Can't get any simpler.

    Notepad is rather limiting as a text editor; I prefer UltraEdit, though
    this costs money beyond an evaluation period.
    http://www.ultraedit.com/

    And I prefer saving HTML files with the .html extension instead of the
    dumbed-down Microsoftism ".htm" (left over from ancient days when
    DOS/Windows didn't support long filenames). The file format is HTML,
    after all, not HTM.

    --
    == Dan ==

    Daniel R. Tobias, Oct 5, 2003
  4. charles

    Paul Goodwin Guest

    "Daniel R. Tobias" <> wrote in message
    > Paul Goodwin wrote:
    >
    > > Notepad. Save with .htm extension (but don't close it) & open it in a
    > > browser. Modify the code, hit save, refresh the browser, repeat as

    needed.
    > > Can't get any simpler.

    > Notepad is rather limiting as a text editor; I prefer UltraEdit, though
    > this costs money beyond an evaluation period.
    > http://www.ultraedit.com/

    Agreed. I prefer HTMLKit myself, but the OP's friend would appear to need
    something extremely simple, at least until she has a grip on what she's
    doing & wants to do. Notepad is a good starting point for that IMO since she
    already has it.

    ---

    Paul

    Paul Goodwin, Oct 5, 2003
  5. charles

    Liz Guest

    In message <blpdb5$eh7tj$-berlin.de>
    "Paul Goodwin" <> wrote:

    > "Daniel R. Tobias" <> wrote in message
    > > Paul Goodwin wrote:
    > >
    > > > Notepad. Save with .htm extension (but don't close it) & open it in a
    > > > browser. Modify the code, hit save, refresh the browser, repeat as

    > needed.
    > > > Can't get any simpler.

    > > Notepad is rather limiting as a text editor; I prefer UltraEdit, though
    > > this costs money beyond an evaluation period.
    > > http://www.ultraedit.com/
    > >

    > Agreed. I prefer HTMLKit myself, but the OP's friend would appear to need
    > something extremely simple, at least until she has a grip on what she's
    > doing & wants to do. Notepad is a good starting point for that IMO since she
    > already has it.

    But having your tags colour-coded is *very* useful IME.

    Liz

    --
    Virtual Liz at http://www.v-liz.co.uk
    Kenya; Tanzania; India; Seychelles

    Liz, Oct 5, 2003
  6. charles

    charles Guest

    In article <blo52p$e8n5k$-berlin.de>, Paul Goodwin
    <> wrote:

    > "charles" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > She can't do it in Word or with
    > > anything else she has.

    > Notepad. Save with .htm extension (but don't close it) & open it in a
    > browser. Modify the code, hit save, refresh the browser, repeat as needed.
    > Can't get any simpler.
    >
    > --
    >
    > Paul

    Okay, here's the latest.

    She writes:

    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

    I tried exactly what you told me:

    Pasted the following into a Notepad document.

    <head>
    <title>hello.htm</title>
    </head>
    Hello

    Saved as TEXT

    Then opened it with my
    browser (either by drag/drop or by using the
    "open" command in your browser).

    It looks like a little pad with text on it.
    Nothing else.

    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

    Where do we go from here?

    charles

    charles, Oct 10, 2003
  7. charles

    Disco Guest

    charles wrote:
    > Okay, here's the latest.
    >
    > She writes:
    >
    > =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    >
    > I tried exactly what you told me:
    >
    > Pasted the following into a Notepad document.

    > <head>
    > <title>hello.htm</title>
    > </head>
    > Hello
    >
    > Saved as TEXT

    Save as "hello.htm" and make sure the file type in "All Files"... that
    should help

    Disco, Oct 10, 2003
  8. charles

    Paul Goodwin Guest

    "charles" <> wrote in message

    > Okay, here's the latest.
    >
    > She writes:
    >
    > =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    >
    > I tried exactly what you told me:
    >
    > Pasted the following into a Notepad document.

    > <head>
    > <title>hello.htm</title>
    > </head>
    > Hello
    >
    > Saved as TEXT

    She's saved it as text so that's what it will display as. She needs to save
    it as "hello.htm" or "hello.html"

    --

    Paul

    Paul Goodwin, Oct 10, 2003
  9. charles

    charles Guest

    In article <Utqhb.130$>, Disco
    <> wrote:

    > Save as "hello.htm" and make sure the file type in "All Files"... that
    > should help

    ------and-----

    In article <bm5l1s$ilh6a$-berlin.de>, Paul Goodwin
    <> wrote:

    > She's saved it as text so that's what it will display as. She needs to save
    > it as "hello.htm" or "hello.html"

    Disco and Paul (and others):

    She wrote:

    > Oh my, my, my!
    > It did work.

    So, thanks for the help and we will take it from here.

    Best wishes,

    charles

    charles, Oct 11, 2003