Platforms for Java robotics.

RoboHobby

Hi,

We create small robot, using J2ME-enable cell phone as robot's brain.

(If you want, you can see some details on
http://www.RoboHobby.com
Robot can see, using cell phone camera and it can be driven via
Internet, etc.)

Now we are going to change hardware platform and use not only J2ME,
but also another type of embedded Java or embedded Linux+JVM.

I found some possible platforms :

www.gumstix.com
www.acmesystems.it
www.compulab.co.il
www.calao-systems.com

QUESTION: What is your suggestion - which Java-friendly platform is
the best for small size mobile Java-based robot?

Sincerely, Oleg

Andrew Thompson

RoboHobby wrote:

(Robotics)
I found some possible platforms :

www.gumstix.com
www.acmesystems.it
www.compulab.co.il
www.calao-systems.com

QUESTION: What is your suggestion - which Java-friendly platform is
the best for small size mobile Java-based robot?

Is Java Card mentioned anywhere amongst the links above?
<http://java.sun.com/products/javacard/>
<http://java.sun.com/products/javacard/specs.html>

Though it seems Java Card might be overkill, judging
by the blurb comes up on the first of your links "go
beyond embedded systems with full- function gum
stick size gumstix motherboards and computers"!

Note: I have no experience with any of these
technologies for embedded computing, just a
passing interest.

RoboHobby

Hello, Andrew,

Yes, Java Card will be interesting for Java robotix, but right now it
is rather specification, then real devices on the market.
I am not sure that it is easy to get cheap devices, which implemented
this spec.

Also I found one more thing 'NanoVM' - Java for AVR microprocessors.

See:
http://www.harbaum.org/till/nanovm/index.shtml

QUESTION: Is there anybody with real hand-on experience with NanoVM?
Can you say some words - is it good or not?

Sincerely, Oleg

(http://www.RoboHobby.com - small mobile hobby robot with J2ME brain,
driven via Internet.)

Martin Gregorie

RoboHobby said:
Hi,

We create small robot, using J2ME-enable cell phone as robot's brain.

(If you want, you can see some details on
http://www.RoboHobby.com
Robot can see, using cell phone camera and it can be driven via
Internet, etc.)

Now we are going to change hardware platform and use not only J2ME,
but also another type of embedded Java or embedded Linux+JVM.
Another possibility is the Parallax Javelin STAMP:
http://www.parallax.com/javelin/index.asp

I haven't used this device, but I have used the BS2 BASIC STAMP and have
found it well designed, and supplied with a really good cross compiling
and debugging IDE.

I don't know how complex your control programs are so can't tell if this
device is powerful enough for you, but it is physically small and low
powered.

RoboHobby

Hi,

Thank all of you, who answered to my question (in this conference and
in private messages).
Finally I created a list of possible platforms for Java robotics.
Mainly for small-size Linux-based robots, which uses single chips with
embedded Java or
small Linux boards, which can run JVM.

See my list if you want:
http://www.RoboHobby.com/platforms_for_java_robotics.jsp