    Hi, is there a way to play a small sound snippet when a user clicks a
    certain hyperlink hotspot on an image?

    Thanks in advance.

    Chris Ianson, Mar 17, 2006

  2. Chris Ianson

    dorayme Guest

    In article <w3HSf.37636$>,
    "Chris Ianson" <> wrote:

    > Hi, is there a way to play a small sound snippet when a user clicks a
    > certain hyperlink hotspot on an image?
    >
    > Thanks in advance.

    You mean like the first long chord from a Jimi Hendrix's Star
    Spangle maybe?

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Mar 18, 2006

  3. Chris Ianson

    Spartanicus Guest

    Spartanicus, Mar 18, 2006
  4. Chris Ianson

    Neredbojias Guest

    With neither quill nor qualm, Chris Ianson quothed:

    > Hi, is there a way to play a small sound snippet when a user clicks a
    > certain hyperlink hotspot on an image?

    Image Map and Object, but will the visitor hear it if he/she browses
    with sound off as I suspect many do?

    --
    Neredbojias

    Neredbojias, Mar 18, 2006
  5. Chris Ianson

    dorayme Guest

    In article <>,
    Neredbojias <> wrote:

    > will the visitor hear it if he/she browses
    > with sound off

    If it is _very_ loud, of course, he/she will....

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Mar 18, 2006
  6. Chris Ianson

    Randy Webb Guest

    Chris Ianson said the following on 3/17/2006 5:51 PM:
    > Hi, is there a way to play a small sound snippet when a user clicks a
    > certain hyperlink hotspot on an image?

    My browser makes a clicking noise already when I click links. It's the
    way *I* want it - not you.

    But, trying to play a sound on a PC without speakers should be an
    entertaining project.

    The answer is no. Well, not in the groups you posted to anyway.

    --
    Randy

    Randy Webb, Mar 18, 2006
  7. Chris Ianson

    Chris Ianson Guest

    "Spartanicus" <> wrote in message
    > "Chris Ianson" <> wrote:
    >
    >>Hi, is there a way to play a small sound snippet when a user clicks a
    >>certain hyperlink hotspot on an image?

    > --
    > Spartanicus

    Thanks Sparty, that's great. Just to clarify I also need the link to take
    the visitor to another page. I.e. it's a working hyperlink to page2.htm,
    but I want the sound to play _as well as_ take them to page2, kinda
    simultaneously.

    Hope you can help. TIA.

    Chris Ianson, Mar 18, 2006
  8. Chris Ianson

    Jose Guest

    > Just to clarify I also need the link to take
    > the visitor to another page. I.e. it's a working hyperlink to page2.htm,
    > but I want the sound to play _as well as_ take them to page2, kinda
    > simultaneously.

    Ask yourself first if the user =wants= to hear noise when they go to
    page2. I suppose I can think of a few instances where I might (an HTML
    game, for example :) but in general I want my computer to just shut up
    and do what I say.

    Jose
    --
    Nothing takes longer than a shortcut.

    Jose, Mar 18, 2006
  9. Chris Ianson

    Spartanicus Guest

    "Chris Ianson" <> wrote:

    >>>Hi, is there a way to play a small sound snippet when a user clicks a
    >>>certain hyperlink hotspot on an image?

    >> --
    >> Spartanicus

    Please configure your news client to remove sigs, or snip them manually.

    >Thanks Sparty, that's great. Just to clarify I also need the link to take
    >the visitor to another page.

    Imagine someone who's listening to music on their computer whilst
    browsing, they click a link "BOINGGG", not nice.

    --
    Spartanicus

    Spartanicus, Mar 18, 2006
  10. Chris Ianson

    Neredbojias Guest

    With neither quill nor qualm, dorayme quothed:

    > In article <>,
    > Neredbojias <> wrote:
    >
    > > will the visitor hear it if he/she browses
    > > with sound off

    > If it is _very_ loud, of course, he/she will....

    If it is very loud, it has to occur. Since it can't occur, it can't be
    loud. My opinion of Martian intelligence has plummeted lately.

    --
    Neredbojias

    Neredbojias, Mar 18, 2006
  11. Chris Ianson

    > Please configure your news client to remove sigs, or snip them manually.
    >
    >>Thanks Sparty, that's great. Just to clarify I also need the link to take
    >>the visitor to another page.

    > Imagine someone who's listening to music on their computer whilst
    > browsing, they click a link "BOINGGG", not nice.

    So you don't know how to do it? I wasn't asking if people liked it, I was
    asking how to do it. Thanks.

    Chris Ianson, Mar 18, 2006
  12. Chris Ianson

    Sid Ismail Guest

    :
    : So you don't know how to do it? I wasn't asking if people liked it, I was
    : asking how to do it. Thanks.

    I also don't like it.

    Search Google for "playing sound while surfing".

    Sid

    Sid Ismail, Mar 18, 2006
  13. Chris Ianson

    Chris Ianson Guest

    "Sid Ismail" <> wrote in message

    > I also don't like it.
    >
    > Search Google for "playing sound while surfing".

    Perhaps you can all help me add a 'sounds on/off' button to my page then
    also. :)

    What I'd like is a constant looping background MP3 (it will just be quiet
    'street noise'), and a specific sound when they click any hyperlink, but
    that option to turn sounds on/off.

    Anyone here got the know-how?

    Thanks in advance.

    Chris Ianson, Mar 18, 2006
  14. Chris Ianson

    Spartanicus Guest

    "Chris Ianson" <> wrote:

    >> Imagine someone who's listening to music on their computer whilst
    >> browsing, they click a link "BOINGGG", not nice.

    >So you don't know how to do it? I wasn't asking if people liked it, I was
    >asking how to do it. Thanks.

    Ask a question here and we will discuss the implications, the "Help me
    to do something stupid" forum is -----> that way.

    --
    Spartanicus

    Spartanicus, Mar 18, 2006
  15. Chris Ianson

    > Ask a question here and we will discuss the implications, the "Help me
    > to do something stupid" forum is -----> that way.

    Hilarious. Where can I find out how to code something? You're acting like
    you've never seen a web site with a 'sound on/off' button before. If you
    don't know how to do it, fair enough, but at least have the balls to say it
    instead of trying to be clever.

    Anyone here actually able to do what I am requesting? Constructive replies
    only please, cheers.

    Chris Ianson, Mar 18, 2006
  16. Chris Ianson wrote:
    > "Spartanicus" <> wrote in message
    >

    >>Please configure your news client to remove sigs, or snip them manually.
    >>

    >>>Thanks Sparty, that's great. Just to clarify I also need the link to take
    >>>the visitor to another page.

    >>Imagine someone who's listening to music on their computer whilst
    >>browsing, they click a link "BOINGGG", not nice.

    > So you don't know how to do it? I wasn't asking if people liked it, I was
    > asking how to do it. Thanks.

    In case you haven't figured it out yet, the regulars here do know how to
    do it, but will not on principle promote, propagate or prolong BAD web
    design practices. If you want a noise, build an application not a
    webpage. Back in the 90's when it was new and hip with the emergence of
    retched bit like 'BGSOUND' it KEWL until after a very short while the
    assault became unbearable with any significant use of the web. We know
    better now.

    Look at it this way, although there are many differences between a
    website a print media, they are a like as a reference resource. Consider
    what a library would be like if every time one turned a page in a book
    there was a POP!, BOING! or AH-WHOOGA!

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

    Jonathan N. Little, Mar 18, 2006
  17. Chris Ianson

    Chris Ianson Guest

    > In case you haven't figured it out yet, the regulars here do know how to
    > do it, but will not on principle promote, propagate or prolong BAD web
    > design practices. If you want a noise, build an application not a webpage.
    > Back in the 90's when it was new and hip with the emergence of retched bit
    > like 'BGSOUND' it KEWL until after a very short while the assault became
    > unbearable with any significant use of the web. We know better now.
    >
    > Look at it this way, although there are many differences between a website
    > a print media, they are a like as a reference resource. Consider what a
    > library would be like if every time one turned a page in a book there was
    > a POP!, BOING! or AH-WHOOGA!

    Where did I say I wanted an 'AH-WHOOGA!' for heaven's sake? Talk about
    assuming the worst to make your case seem stronger.

    You have no idea what I want, nor have you read properly where I said I
    wanted the option to turn the sound ON or off. If the sounds starts OFF,
    but the user has the option to turn them ON if they want, what is wrong with
    helping me out with the code please?

    Are you saying that is bad web design and freedom of choice is not allowed
    because this group's 'regulars' (how cool) say so?

    I have never figured out why people on these groups are always so hostile.
    We're all fellow human beings, but nobody wants to help anyone anymore.
    It's really really sad.

    Chris Ianson, Mar 18, 2006
  18. Chris Ianson

    Ed Mullen Guest

    Chris Ianson wrote:
    > You have no idea what I want, nor have you read properly where I said I
    > wanted the option to turn the sound ON or off. If the sounds starts OFF,
    > but the user has the option to turn them ON if they want, what is wrong with
    > helping me out with the code please?

    If that's all you want to do just use a hyperlink to the sound file and
    let the user's configuration for handling sound take care of it.

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net

    Ed Mullen, Mar 18, 2006
  19. Chris Ianson wrote:
    > "Jonathan N. Little" <> wrote in message

    <snip>
    > Where did I say I wanted an 'AH-WHOOGA!' for heaven's sake? Talk about
    > assuming the worst to make your case seem stronger.
    >
    > You have no idea what I want, nor have you read properly where I said I
    > wanted the option to turn the sound ON or off. If the sounds starts OFF,
    > but the user has the option to turn them ON if they want, what is wrong with
    > helping me out with the code please?

    Enlighten us, a URL.

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------

    Jonathan N. Little, Mar 18, 2006
  20. Chris Ianson

    Chris Ianson Guest

    > Enlighten us, a URL.

    The site hasn't even started being built yet, so there is no URL.

    To recap, here is what I would like:

    Page loads, sounds are off
    A link on the page saying "Sound: ON / OFF"
    When sounds are switched on, and a user clicks a hyperlink, it plays said
    sound *AND* takes them to that hyperlink's URL

    Surely not rocket science?

    Chris Ianson, Mar 18, 2006