Play a sound when clicking a hyperlink?

Chris Ianson

Hi, is there a way to play a small sound snippet when a user clicks a
certain hyperlink hotspot on an image?

Thanks in advance.

dorayme

Chris Ianson said:
Hi, is there a way to play a small sound snippet when a user clicks a
certain hyperlink hotspot on an image?

Thanks in advance.

You mean like the first long chord from a Jimi Hendrix's Star
Spangle maybe?

Spartanicus

Chris Ianson said:
Hi, is there a way to play a small sound snippet when a user clicks a
certain hyperlink hotspot on an image?

Neredbojias

With neither quill nor qualm, Chris Ianson quothed:
Hi, is there a way to play a small sound snippet when a user clicks a
certain hyperlink hotspot on an image?

Image Map and Object, but will the visitor hear it if he/she browses
with sound off as I suspect many do?

Randy Webb

Chris Ianson said the following on 3/17/2006 5:51 PM:
Hi, is there a way to play a small sound snippet when a user clicks a
certain hyperlink hotspot on an image?

My browser makes a clicking noise already when I click links. It's the
way *I* want it - not you.

But, trying to play a sound on a PC without speakers should be an
entertaining project.

The answer is no. Well, not in the groups you posted to anyway.

Chris Ianson

Spartanicus said:

Thanks Sparty, that's great. Just to clarify I also need the link to take
the visitor to another page. I.e. it's a working hyperlink to page2.htm,
but I want the sound to play _as well as_ take them to page2, kinda
simultaneously.

Hope you can help. TIA.

Jose

Just to clarify I also need the link to take
the visitor to another page. I.e. it's a working hyperlink to page2.htm,
but I want the sound to play _as well as_ take them to page2, kinda
simultaneously.

Ask yourself first if the user =wants= to hear noise when they go to
page2. I suppose I can think of a few instances where I might (an HTML
game, for example :) but in general I want my computer to just shut up
and do what I say.

Jose

Spartanicus

Please configure your news client to remove sigs, or snip them manually.
Thanks Sparty, that's great. Just to clarify I also need the link to take
the visitor to another page.

Imagine someone who's listening to music on their computer whilst
browsing, they click a link "BOINGGG", not nice.

Neredbojias

With neither quill nor qualm, dorayme quothed:
If it is _very_ loud, of course, he/she will....

If it is very loud, it has to occur. Since it can't occur, it can't be
loud. My opinion of Martian intelligence has plummeted lately.

Chris Ianson

Please configure your news client to remove sigs, or snip them manually.

Imagine someone who's listening to music on their computer whilst
browsing, they click a link "BOINGGG", not nice.

So you don't know how to do it? I wasn't asking if people liked it, I was
asking how to do it. Thanks.

Sid Ismail

:
: So you don't know how to do it? I wasn't asking if people liked it, I was
: asking how to do it. Thanks.

I also don't like it.

Search Google for "playing sound while surfing".

Sid

Chris Ianson

I also don't like it.

Search Google for "playing sound while surfing".

Perhaps you can all help me add a 'sounds on/off' button to my page then
also. :)

What I'd like is a constant looping background MP3 (it will just be quiet
'street noise'), and a specific sound when they click any hyperlink, but
that option to turn sounds on/off.

Anyone here got the know-how?

Thanks in advance.

Spartanicus

Chris Ianson said:
So you don't know how to do it? I wasn't asking if people liked it, I was
asking how to do it. Thanks.

Ask a question here and we will discuss the implications, the "Help me
to do something stupid" forum is -----> that way.

Chris Ianson

Ask a question here and we will discuss the implications, the "Help me
to do something stupid" forum is -----> that way.

Hilarious. Where can I find out how to code something? You're acting like
you've never seen a web site with a 'sound on/off' button before. If you
don't know how to do it, fair enough, but at least have the balls to say it
instead of trying to be clever.

Anyone here actually able to do what I am requesting? Constructive replies
only please, cheers.

Jonathan N. Little

Chris said:
So you don't know how to do it? I wasn't asking if people liked it, I was
asking how to do it. Thanks.

In case you haven't figured it out yet, the regulars here do know how to
do it, but will not on principle promote, propagate or prolong BAD web
design practices. If you want a noise, build an application not a
webpage. Back in the 90's when it was new and hip with the emergence of
retched bit like 'BGSOUND' it KEWL until after a very short while the
assault became unbearable with any significant use of the web. We know
better now.

Look at it this way, although there are many differences between a
website a print media, they are a like as a reference resource. Consider
what a library would be like if every time one turned a page in a book
there was a POP!, BOING! or AH-WHOOGA!

Chris Ianson

In case you haven't figured it out yet, the regulars here do know how to
do it, but will not on principle promote, propagate or prolong BAD web
design practices. If you want a noise, build an application not a webpage.
Back in the 90's when it was new and hip with the emergence of retched bit
like 'BGSOUND' it KEWL until after a very short while the assault became
unbearable with any significant use of the web. We know better now.

Look at it this way, although there are many differences between a website
a print media, they are a like as a reference resource. Consider what a
library would be like if every time one turned a page in a book there was
a POP!, BOING! or AH-WHOOGA!

Where did I say I wanted an 'AH-WHOOGA!' for heaven's sake? Talk about
assuming the worst to make your case seem stronger.

You have no idea what I want, nor have you read properly where I said I
wanted the option to turn the sound ON or off. If the sounds starts OFF,
but the user has the option to turn them ON if they want, what is wrong with
helping me out with the code please?

Are you saying that is bad web design and freedom of choice is not allowed
because this group's 'regulars' (how cool) say so?

I have never figured out why people on these groups are always so hostile.
We're all fellow human beings, but nobody wants to help anyone anymore.
It's really really sad.

Ed Mullen

Chris said:
You have no idea what I want, nor have you read properly where I said I
wanted the option to turn the sound ON or off. If the sounds starts OFF,
but the user has the option to turn them ON if they want, what is wrong with
helping me out with the code please?

If that's all you want to do just use a hyperlink to the sound file and
let the user's configuration for handling sound take care of it.

Jonathan N. Little

Chris said:
Where did I say I wanted an 'AH-WHOOGA!' for heaven's sake? Talk about
assuming the worst to make your case seem stronger.

You have no idea what I want, nor have you read properly where I said I
wanted the option to turn the sound ON or off. If the sounds starts OFF,
but the user has the option to turn them ON if they want, what is wrong with
helping me out with the code please?

Enlighten us, a URL.

Chris Ianson

Enlighten us, a URL.

The site hasn't even started being built yet, so there is no URL.

To recap, here is what I would like:

Page loads, sounds are off
A link on the page saying "Sound: ON / OFF"
When sounds are switched on, and a user clicks a hyperlink, it plays said
sound *AND* takes them to that hyperlink's URL

Surely not rocket science?