play a WAV song with the <a> tag

bunch92

Hi guys,
Following your advice on a previous post, I coded the following to play
a WAV sound :

It behaves differently om my 2 PCs.
On PC1 (GOOD) , it opens my sound application, plays the sound, and the
HTML page stays the same
On PC2,(BAD) it uses Quicktime, plays the sound, but my HTML page is
changed to a Quicktime player !!!

I tried :

On PC1 (BAD), it opens a new blank page (annoying), plays the sound, and
the original HTML page stays the same
On PC2 (GOOD), it opens a new page with Quicktime, plays the sound, and
my original HTML page stays the same

Is there a way to code the above so that both PCs have consistent
results ? I don't want to change the PC configs as my site could be
accessed with PC1 type users or PC2 type users.

Thank you for your help.

Spartanicus

bunch92 said:
Following your advice on a previous post, I coded the following to play
a WAV sound :

It behaves differently om my 2 PCs.
On PC1 (GOOD) , it opens my sound application, plays the sound, and the
HTML page stays the same
On PC2,(BAD) it uses Quicktime, plays the sound, but my HTML page is
changed to a Quicktime player !!!

I tried :

On PC1 (BAD), it opens a new blank page (annoying), plays the sound, and
the original HTML page stays the same
On PC2 (GOOD), it opens a new page with Quicktime, plays the sound, and
my original HTML page stays the same

Is there a way to code the above so that both PCs have consistent
results ? I don't want to change the PC configs as my site could be
accessed with PC1 type users or PC2 type users.

You've still not grasped the nettle, users use different browsers, they
configure those browsers differently, they may use certain plugins, or
not, or they may have certain media players, or not. You cannot control
any of this. It's your responsibility to present the content properly,
from there on it's the user's responsibility.

Quicktime is a particularly nasty piece of work, it aggressively
attempts to seize control over all media types that it supports, across
all applications that it supports. It's know to change content type
handlers from applications that natively support the content to
Quicktime. This can for example result in pngs opening in Quicktime
instead of the browser.

You cannot force what happens on a user's system, attempting to do so
will only result in making your content unusable on other systems.

What you can do is offer a help page for known problems where you can
explain how the user can fix a misconfigured system.

bunch92

You cannot force what happens on a user's system, attempting to do so
will only result in making your content unusable on other systems.

Thank you Spartanicus.

I feared that would be the answer ... So I am going to remove the
target="blank" and place a warning on the page.

Cheers

Jedi Fans

bunch92 said:
Thank you Spartanicus.

I feared that would be the answer ... So I am going to remove the
target="blank" and place a warning on the page.

Cheers
technically its target="_blank" but guess its a mute point

Blinky the Shark

Few years ago, I worked with an IT manager who routinely SPOKE "it's a
mute point." Didn't even pronounce it moot. Caused me to chuckle
inwardly every time she said it. <g>

Yep. I've heard that, as well.

Spartanicus

Jedi Fans said:
technically its target="_blank"

The OP is using frames, therefore "blank" should refer to a named frame.
The naming is not entirely appropriate since the frame probably contains
no content, just a bgsound method.

the idiot

Spartanicus said:
[...]

sir, i am (hopefully if given the go-ahead )about to provide a link (via a
m3u file) so folk can stream a mp3
im also going to give them the option to download the mp3
would the (m3u) streaming work for a mac or would i have to do something
else?
sorry i cant be more precise
the m3u file will say (and i will hit return at the end of the code as you
mentioned somewhere else...)

http://www.wreckingballpress.com/cd/reater4.mp3

i hope this makes sense

Spartanicus

the idiot said:
would the (m3u) streaming work for a mac or would i have to do something
else?

You cannot guarantee that it will work on a client system. The task of a
web author is to serve content in an appropriate and correct manner.
Linking to media combined with an option to stream and download does
that.

After that, there are things that can cause problems for the user trying
to use your media. Finding out about potential problems so that you can
offer users assistance in configuring their system correctly requires
testing.

If you don't have the means to test with a range of platforms and
different software and configurations you can ask in a few topical
newsgroups/fora for a test, and if people have difficulties try and find
out what the problem is, or try and replicate their setup. Or you could
explicitly ask the users of your site for feedback.

the idiot

--
thankyou... i have only ever seen a mac working once...
it was a very pretty machine though.

Neredbojias

With neither quill nor qualm, the idiot quothed:
thankyou... i have only ever seen a mac working once...
it was a very pretty machine though.

Bah! I eat macs for lunch!