play a WAV song with the <a> tag

Discussion in 'HTML' started by bunch92, Aug 3, 2005.

  1. bunch92

    bunch92 Guest

    Hi guys,
    Following your advice on a previous post, I coded the following to play
    a WAV sound :

    It behaves differently om my 2 PCs.
    On PC1 (GOOD) , it opens my sound application, plays the sound, and the
    HTML page stays the same
    On PC2,(BAD) it uses Quicktime, plays the sound, but my HTML page is
    changed to a Quicktime player !!!

    I tried :

    On PC1 (BAD), it opens a new blank page (annoying), plays the sound, and
    the original HTML page stays the same
    On PC2 (GOOD), it opens a new page with Quicktime, plays the sound, and
    my original HTML page stays the same

    Is there a way to code the above so that both PCs have consistent
    results ? I don't want to change the PC configs as my site could be
    accessed with PC1 type users or PC2 type users.

    Thank you for your help.

    bunch92, Aug 3, 2005

  2. bunch92

    Spartanicus Guest

    bunch92 <> wrote:

    >Following your advice on a previous post, I coded the following to play
    >a WAV sound :

    >It behaves differently om my 2 PCs.
    >On PC1 (GOOD) , it opens my sound application, plays the sound, and the
    >HTML page stays the same
    >On PC2,(BAD) it uses Quicktime, plays the sound, but my HTML page is
    >changed to a Quicktime player !!!
    >
    >I tried :

    >On PC1 (BAD), it opens a new blank page (annoying), plays the sound, and
    >the original HTML page stays the same
    >On PC2 (GOOD), it opens a new page with Quicktime, plays the sound, and
    >my original HTML page stays the same
    >

    >Is there a way to code the above so that both PCs have consistent
    >results ? I don't want to change the PC configs as my site could be
    >accessed with PC1 type users or PC2 type users.

    You've still not grasped the nettle, users use different browsers, they
    configure those browsers differently, they may use certain plugins, or
    not, or they may have certain media players, or not. You cannot control
    any of this. It's your responsibility to present the content properly,
    from there on it's the user's responsibility.

    Quicktime is a particularly nasty piece of work, it aggressively
    attempts to seize control over all media types that it supports, across
    all applications that it supports. It's know to change content type
    handlers from applications that natively support the content to
    Quicktime. This can for example result in pngs opening in Quicktime
    instead of the browser.

    You cannot force what happens on a user's system, attempting to do so
    will only result in making your content unusable on other systems.

    What you can do is offer a help page for known problems where you can
    explain how the user can fix a misconfigured system.

    --
    Spartanicus

    Spartanicus, Aug 3, 2005

  3. bunch92

    bunch92 Guest

    Spartanicus <> wrote in

    > You cannot force what happens on a user's system, attempting to do so
    > will only result in making your content unusable on other systems.

    Thank you Spartanicus.

    I feared that would be the answer ... So I am going to remove the
    target="blank" and place a warning on the page.

    Cheers

    bunch92, Aug 3, 2005
  4. bunch92

    Jedi Fans Guest

    bunch92 wrote:
    > Spartanicus <> wrote in
    >
    >> You cannot force what happens on a user's system, attempting to do so
    >> will only result in making your content unusable on other systems.
    >>

    > Thank you Spartanicus.
    >
    > I feared that would be the answer ... So I am going to remove the
    > target="blank" and place a warning on the page.
    >
    > Cheers

    technically its target="_blank" but guess its a mute point

    Jedi Fans, Aug 3, 2005

    Nah. http://www.wsu.edu/~brians/errors/mute.html

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

    Blinky the Shark, Aug 3, 2005
  6. Blinky the Shark wrote:
    > Jedi Fans wrote:
    >> technically its target="_blank" but guess its a mute point

    > Nah. http://www.wsu.edu/~brians/errors/mute.html

    Few years ago, I worked with an IT manager who routinely SPOKE "it's a
    mute point." Didn't even pronounce it moot. Caused me to chuckle
    inwardly every time she said it. <g>

    --
    -bts
    -This space intentionally left blank.

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Aug 3, 2005
  7. Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    > Blinky the Shark wrote:
    >> Jedi Fans wrote:
    >>> technically its target="_blank" but guess its a mute point

    >> Nah. http://www.wsu.edu/~brians/errors/mute.html

    > Few years ago, I worked with an IT manager who routinely SPOKE "it's a
    > mute point." Didn't even pronounce it moot. Caused me to chuckle
    > inwardly every time she said it. <g>

    Yep. I've heard that, as well.

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

    Blinky the Shark, Aug 3, 2005
  8. bunch92

    Spartanicus Guest

    Jedi Fans <"news[at]jedifans[--=dot==-]com"> wrote:

    >> I feared that would be the answer ... So I am going to remove the
    >> target="blank" and place a warning on the page.
    >>

    >technically its target="_blank"

    The OP is using frames, therefore "blank" should refer to a named frame.
    The naming is not entirely appropriate since the frame probably contains
    no content, just a bgsound method.

    --
    Spartanicus

    Spartanicus, Aug 3, 2005
  9. bunch92

    the idiot Guest

    "Spartanicus" <> wrote in message
    > bunch92 <> wrote:
    >
    > >Following your advice on a previous post, I coded the following to play
    > >a WAV sound :

    > >It behaves differently om my 2 PCs.
    > >On PC1 (GOOD) , it opens my sound application, plays the sound, and the
    > >HTML page stays the same
    > >On PC2,(BAD) it uses Quicktime, plays the sound, but my HTML page is
    > >changed to a Quicktime player !!!
    > >
    > >I tried :

    > >On PC1 (BAD), it opens a new blank page (annoying), plays the sound, and
    > >the original HTML page stays the same
    > >On PC2 (GOOD), it opens a new page with Quicktime, plays the sound, and
    > >my original HTML page stays the same
    > >

    > >Is there a way to code the above so that both PCs have consistent
    > >results ? I don't want to change the PC configs as my site could be
    > >accessed with PC1 type users or PC2 type users.

    > You've still not grasped the nettle, users use different browsers, they
    > configure those browsers differently, they may use certain plugins, or
    > not, or they may have certain media players, or not. You cannot control
    > any of this. It's your responsibility to present the content properly,
    > from there on it's the user's responsibility.
    >
    > Quicktime is a particularly nasty piece of work, it aggressively
    > attempts to seize control over all media types that it supports, across
    > all applications that it supports. It's know to change content type
    > handlers from applications that natively support the content to
    > Quicktime. This can for example result in pngs opening in Quicktime
    > instead of the browser.
    >
    > You cannot force what happens on a user's system, attempting to do so
    > will only result in making your content unusable on other systems.
    >
    > What you can do is offer a help page for known problems where you can
    > explain how the user can fix a misconfigured system.
    >
    > --
    > Spartanicus

    sir, i am (hopefully if given the go-ahead )about to provide a link (via a
    m3u file) so folk can stream a mp3
    im also going to give them the option to download the mp3
    would the (m3u) streaming work for a mac or would i have to do something
    else?
    sorry i cant be more precise
    the m3u file will say (and i will hit return at the end of the code as you
    mentioned somewhere else...)

    http://www.wreckingballpress.com/cd/reater4.mp3

    i hope this makes sense

    the idiot, Aug 4, 2005
  10. bunch92

    Spartanicus Guest

    "the idiot" <> wrote:

    >would the (m3u) streaming work for a mac or would i have to do something
    >else?

    You cannot guarantee that it will work on a client system. The task of a
    web author is to serve content in an appropriate and correct manner.
    Linking to media combined with an option to stream and download does
    that.

    After that, there are things that can cause problems for the user trying
    to use your media. Finding out about potential problems so that you can
    offer users assistance in configuring their system correctly requires
    testing.

    If you don't have the means to test with a range of platforms and
    different software and configurations you can ask in a few topical
    newsgroups/fora for a test, and if people have difficulties try and find
    out what the problem is, or try and replicate their setup. Or you could
    explicitly ask the users of your site for feedback.

    --
    Spartanicus

    Spartanicus, Aug 4, 2005
  11. bunch92

    > "the idiot" <> wrote:
    >
    > >would the (m3u) streaming work for a mac or would i have to do something
    > >else?

    > You cannot guarantee that it will work on a client system. The task of a
    > web author is to serve content in an appropriate and correct manner.
    > Linking to media combined with an option to stream and download does
    > that.
    >
    > After that, there are things that can cause problems for the user trying
    > to use your media. Finding out about potential problems so that you can
    > offer users assistance in configuring their system correctly requires
    > testing.
    >
    > If you don't have the means to test with a range of platforms and
    > different software and configurations you can ask in a few topical
    > newsgroups/fora for a test, and if people have difficulties try and find
    > out what the problem is, or try and replicate their setup. Or you could
    > explicitly ask the users of your site for feedback.
    >
    > --

    thankyou... i have only ever seen a mac working once...
    it was a very pretty machine though.

    the idiot, Aug 4, 2005
  12. bunch92

    Neredbojias Guest

    With neither quill nor qualm, the idiot quothed:

    > thankyou... i have only ever seen a mac working once...
    > it was a very pretty machine though.

    Bah! I eat macs for lunch!

    --
    Neredbojias