Playing MIDI File in C

ravi

Can anybody tell me you to play MIDI file through a C program ?

i am using Turbo C++

Thanks.........

santosh

ravi said:
Can anybody tell me you to play MIDI file through a C program ?

i am using Turbo C++

Please ask in <or one of the
microsoft.public.* groups. Standard C by itself has no concept of audio
other than the '\a' escape sequence. You'll have to use a platform
specific library or API.

jacob navia

ravi said:
Decoding the midi file and then play it by directly interfacing with
speakers using inportb() function in conio.h or sound() function in
dos.h.

is it possible or not and if possible then HOW TO DECODE MIDI FILE ?

It is possible using MSDOS.

It is NOT possible using windows XP or above.

It is NOT possible using any 32 bit system.

jacob navia

jacob said:
It is possible using MSDOS.

It is NOT possible using windows XP or above.

It is NOT possible using any 32 bit system.

Of course I am speaking about using inportb and outportb

jacob navia

ravi said:
Can you tell me how ?
I am using MS DOS i.e Turbo C++ 3.0 which is a DOS based C/C++
compiler.

Decoding MIDI is a large software undertaking and would take at
least 3-4 months to do. And if you do not know how to do that
I recommend you to document yourself before asking any more
questions, since if you think someone will explain to you
how to do that in a mail message you only show your
ignorance...

There are decoders of MIDI already done in windows and linux.
I would recommend you to scrap MSDOS and use those operating
systems.

ravi

Please ask in said:
[...]

thanks

santosh

ravi wrote:

i am taking about decoding midi files.

Search the Net for pre-existing libraries for this. They are available
for most systems, including DOS, Windows and UNIX. However you may have
additional trouble under DOS. As jacob said, decoding MIDI files
yourself may be a tedious task and if you knew how to do that, you
wouldn't be asking here in the first place.

Bartc

Decoding MIDI is a large software undertaking and would take at
least 3-4 months to do. And if you do not know how to do that

Probably not quite that long. I have some 500 lines of (interpreted, not C)
code that will print out the notes and durations of all the tracks in a midi
file, I'm sure not more than a day or so to do.

You need the note, duration and 'voice' of each note in order to play the
music.

To play it's best to use a library; google for KBMIDI.C for examples (for
MSWindows) of playing the notes. For DOS, you can beep the speaker easily
enough but it won't be hi-fi.

Bart