    --
    Luigi Donatello Asero
    你想去 度å‡é©¬?

    Luigi Donatello Asero, Aug 21, 2006

  2. Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:
    > Hello,
    > if I have 3 containers and I want to position one on the left, one on the
    > right and one on the middle without using absolute positioning so that I can
    > still see all of them regardless of the width of the browser window how do I
    > adjust the margins in a way that one of them floats to the right although
    > these columns do not have the same length?

    float: right;

    The margin has nothing to do with it.

    Harlan Messinger, Aug 21, 2006

  3. "Harlan Messinger" <> skrev i meddelandet
    > Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:
    > > Hello,
    > > if I have 3 containers and I want to position one on the left, one on

    the
    > > right and one on the middle without using absolute positioning so that I

    can
    > > still see all of them regardless of the width of the browser window how

    do I
    > > adjust the margins in a way that one of them floats to the right

    although
    > > these columns do not have the same length?

    > float: right;
    >
    > The margin has nothing to do with it.

    A <div> which is floated tends to take a position which is more on the top
    (if there is space there)
    instead of the one which is more on the right,
    does it not?

    --
    Luigi Donatello Asero
    你想去 度å‡é©¬?

    Luigi Donatello Asero, Aug 21, 2006
  4. Luigi Donatello Asero

    JDS Guest

    On Mon, 21 Aug 2006 20:55:24 +0000, Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:

    > Hello,

    Hi!

    > if I have 3 containers and I want to position one on the left, one on
    > the right and one on the middle without using absolute positioning so
    > that I can still see all of them regardless of the width of the browser
    > window how do I adjust the margins in a way that one of them floats to
    > the right although these columns do not have the same length?

    This can't be done with three static containers. But a close
    approximation can be achieved using 3 variable layout containers, several
    static dimensioning attribute containers, and at least one external
    stylesheet. Plus some Javascript, to massage the layout into a
    bi-functional multilevel dimensioning scheme, while retaining a variable
    width and center, but a static weight and height.

    I can provide a detailed example, if you wish. And of course, please feel
    free to post any questions about specific problems you encounter when
    implenting a multi layered static width dimension schem that must also
    retain vartiable flexibility in its height and margin layout.

    later...

    --
    JDS

    JDS, Aug 22, 2006
  5. Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:
    > "Harlan Messinger" <> skrev i meddelandet
    >> Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:
    >>> Hello,
    >>> if I have 3 containers and I want to position one on the left, one on

    > the
    >>> right and one on the middle without using absolute positioning so that I

    > can
    >>> still see all of them regardless of the width of the browser window how

    > do I
    >>> adjust the margins in a way that one of them floats to the right

    > although
    >>> these columns do not have the same length?

    >> float: right;
    >>
    >> The margin has nothing to do with it.

    > A <div> which is floated tends to take a position which is more on the top
    > (if there is space there)
    > instead of the one which is more on the right,
    > does it not?

    I don't know what you mean by "more on the right". Like everything on
    the screen, a floated DIV has a horizontal and a vertical location. A
    right-floated DIV floats to the right of its container. Its vertical
    position is the same as it would have been if it hadn't been floated. If
    a right-floated div is the first thing in its container, then it will be
    positioned at the top right corner of its container.

    Harlan Messinger, Aug 22, 2006
  6. Luigi Donatello Asero

    Paul Watt Guest

    "JDS" <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 21 Aug 2006 20:55:24 +0000, Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:
    >
    >> Hello,

    > Hi!
    >
    >> if I have 3 containers and I want to position one on the left, one on
    >> the right and one on the middle without using absolute positioning so
    >> that I can still see all of them regardless of the width of the browser
    >> window how do I adjust the margins in a way that one of them floats to
    >> the right although these columns do not have the same length?

    > This can't be done with three static containers. But a close
    > approximation can be achieved using 3 variable layout containers, several
    > static dimensioning attribute containers, and at least one external
    > stylesheet. Plus some Javascript, to massage the layout into a
    > bi-functional multilevel dimensioning scheme, while retaining a variable
    > width and center, but a static weight and height.
    >
    > I can provide a detailed example, if you wish. And of course, please feel
    > free to post any questions about specific problems you encounter when
    > implenting a multi layered static width dimension schem that must also
    > retain vartiable flexibility in its height and margin layout.
    >
    > later...
    >
    > --
    > JDS

    "bi-functional multilevel dimensioning scheme"...one of the best things I've
    heard in ages. With the possible exception of a t-shirt I saw that said
    "Frankie says you're gay".

    --
    Cheers

    Paul
    le singe est dans l'arbre
    http://www.paulwatt.info

    Paul Watt, Aug 22, 2006
  7. Luigi Donatello Asero

    dorayme Guest

    In article <>,
    JDS <> wrote:

    > This can't be done with three static containers. But a close
    > approximation can be achieved using 3 variable layout containers, several
    > static dimensioning attribute containers, and at least one external
    > stylesheet. Plus some Javascript, to massage the layout into a
    > bi-functional multilevel dimensioning scheme, while retaining a variable
    > width and center, but a static weight and height.

    Jesus! I guess you better show it in action... I can hear the
    roar of a V8 when I read this.

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Aug 23, 2006
  8. Luigi Donatello Asero

    mbstevens Guest

    On Tue, 22 Aug 2006 10:09:26 -0400, JDS wrote:

    > This can't be done with three static containers. But a close
    > approximation can be achieved using 3 variable layout containers, several
    > static dimensioning attribute containers, and at least one external
    > stylesheet. Plus some Javascript, to massage the layout into a
    > bi-functional multilevel dimensioning scheme, while retaining a variable
    > width and center, but a static weight and height.

    That sounds more complex than the Hot Rats album, but
    I imagine the kind of float Luigi'd be most comfortable with is a rubber
    ducky.

    mbstevens, Aug 23, 2006