Please Advice. What´s the right path? plain file vs xml file

Jorge Luzarraga Castro

Hello Everybody!

I´d like that you give me some advice on what the right approach to import
some data from one system to another is. I know that a webservice fits
perfectly to intercommunicate two different systems but it is said that
unfortunately it is slower than to load a plain txt file via a stored
procedure.

What should I do? To keep loading the data from a plain text file or to
change the aproach and consume a webservice developed in the other system to
load the data I need.

TIA

Jorge.

Denis Kondratyev

Imho XML is a best approach in many cases (and imho in your situation too),
but I dont use web services always because its "cooool". Check requarements
for you system: how many data u must import - 1 MB or 10 GB? what
environments for your system - intranet or internet, homogeny or heterogenic
system? security requirements?

Denis Kondratyev

Jorge Luzarraga Castro

Dennis, Thanks for your reply.

Here are some extra considerations:

The initial load is going to be the heaviest, but next loads are gonna be
under 1 MB.
Both of the systems have their own database schema on different servers.
Both of the systems are on top of the .NET Platform and using MSSQLServe 2K.
Both of the systems are part of the same intranet.

Given all of this, is it still good choice to consume a webservice to load
data?

TIA

Jorge Luzarraga

Denis Kondratyev

Imho with 1 MB data u dont have performance troubles with web services via
intranet. For initial load u can use DTS if amount of data is big.