Please advise me for a right solution

Discussion in 'Python' started by VP, Jun 15, 2009.

  1. VP

    VP Guest

    Hi all,
    Please advise me for a right solution based on your experience.

    I need to create a web based inventory tool with specific requirements
    such as:

    * More then one group is going to use it.
    * Authentication and authorization system based on user and group
    privileges.

    For example based on a group privileges group can add/edit/delete
    their own stuff and having a read only access to other groups stuff.

    etc.

    What solution is better for that?

    * CGI implementation from the scratch. It seems to much work and I am
    not sure that this is right way.
    * WSGI based frameworks such as Werkzeug, Pylons, repoze.bg for HTTP
    requests and responds plus different components like AuthKit,
    repoze.who and repoze.what, SQLAlchemy or raw SQL

    I was trying to get those thing done by Django, but realized that
    every time I have to extend Django admin interface or to extend user
    profile etc.. I am not telling that Django is not good for this, just
    personal fillings. May be I am wrong.

    Well, what you recommend me?

    VP, Jun 15, 2009

  2. VP

    Aahz Guest

    In article <>,
    VP <> wrote:

    >I need to create a web based inventory tool with specific requirements
    >such as:
    >
    >* More then one group is going to use it.
    >* Authentication and authorization system based on user and group
    >privileges.
    >
    >For example based on a group privileges group can add/edit/delete
    >their own stuff and having a read only access to other groups stuff.

    Maybe this would help?
    http://code.google.com/p/django-inventory/

    I do think you should plan on using a framework of some kind, to handle
    the authentication system at least.
    --
    Aahz () <*> http://www.pythoncraft.com/

    Aahz, Jun 16, 2009