    too.

    Thanks for any replys.

    , Mar 7, 2006

    wrote:
    > http://www.deutschschule.net/design/page.asp
    >
    > * This page should look good on screens 800px and higher (no
    > horizontal scroll bar).

    It doesn't. The colours are awful.

    > * Mainly "flat screens" should be tested. My "old" screen displays
    > colors quite different. It always looks weak on flat screens.

    What!?

    > * Please set it up and post the result in the treat, where you
    > found this link.

    Shh.

    > * Please post additional comments about the design on the threat
    > too.

    It's dreadful. What is it for?

    --
    Hywel
    , Mar 8, 2006

  3. Coretys Guest

    OK.

    You don't like the colors. What colors would you recommend?
    What about the layout?
    What is dreatful?

    Could you be more specific?
    Coretys, Mar 11, 2006
  4. Coretys wrote:
    > You don't like the colors. What colors would you recommend?
    > What about the layout?
    > What is dreatful?
    > Could you be more specific?

    Nope, I think dreadful is just about all that can be said. But look,
    it did validate....
    Travis Newbury, Mar 12, 2006
  5. Coretys Guest

    Your comments are rather useless. A waste or my and your time. But ...
    Keep up the good work :)
    Coretys, Mar 12, 2006
  6. Coretys wrote:
    > Your comments are rather useless. A waste or my and your time. But ...
    > Keep up the good work :)

    The color and all maybe personal taste, but to one who does website
    design here is a more a more unattractive issue:

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com
    Jonathan N. Little, Mar 12, 2006
  7. Coretys wrote:
    > Your comments are rather useless. A waste or my and your time. But ...
    > Keep up the good work :)

    Why are they useless, would it have been better to just tell you to
    start over? There was no redeeming value to your page at all (in my
    opinion)
    Travis Newbury, Mar 13, 2006
  8. Greg N. Guest

    wrote:
    > http://www.deutschschule.net/design/page.asp

    I think you're not getting a lot of useful replies because what you're
    asking for (trying out a few colors an tell you what we like) seems
    futile and useless. If you eventually get, say, five personal choices
    out of over 8 billion possible combinations, what's that good for?

    But if you're after a good set how harmonic colors, maybe this site helps:

    http://wellstyled.com/tools/colorscheme2/index-en.html

    > This page should look good on screens 800px and higher (no
    > horizontal scroll bar).

    The prevailing opinion around here is that a page should be designed
    such that it looks good on any screen size.

    > Mainly "flat screens" should be tested. My "old" screen displays
    > colors quite different. It always looks weak on flat screens.

    For the purpose of web design, colors should look sufficiently similar
    on all monitors. If a monitor looks very different from most others,
    then it is severely misadjusted, or burnt out, or broken. Try to adjust
    your monitor, this may help:

    http://www.normankoren.com/makingfineprints1A.html
    http://www.normankoren.com/makingfineprints1A.html#QuickGamma

    --
    Gregor mit dem Motorrad auf Reisen:
    http://hothaus.de/greg-tour/
    Greg N., Mar 13, 2006
  9. Coretys Guest

    Hi Greg N.,

    Thank you for your reply.

    Actually my request wasn't clearly stated. I wanted people with flat
    screens to use the same colors like me, but make some small
    adjustments, that it looks good on flat screens. And in case they have
    a really good combo, that is totally different, then I would try that
    too. But that's OK. I finally got a reply, that I can answer.

    Yes, it should look good on every screen. That is right. But 99% of the
    pages don't look good on 600px wide screen, or they get vertical
    scrollbars. Mine is the same in that respect. Actually if you zoom in
    on my page it looks still OK, when other pages already get their design
    messed up. For example at 300%.

    My monitor is probably burned out, but I will try your links.

    By the way...

    I tried to make sure that my header gets split at an exact point in the
    middle, and not only 1 charcter on a new line. That happens with
    Japanese, because they don't use spaces at all. is there a way to
    accomplish this without using the <nobr> tag? I get an erro message,
    when I check the page on W3C.

    Thanks again ...

    Coretys, Mar 13, 2006
  10. Coretys Guest

    Actually it would be useful if you tell me why I should start all over.
    Because otherwise I just land up with the same. I don't have any idea
    what you don't like.

    - Is it the layout: Header + 2 columns?
    - is it the table that I use, and not those "great" div's, that need
    hacking in the CSS to make them work. I prefer a table and no hacks in
    the CSS.

    or what is it ...

    I probably have to guess.
    Coretys, Mar 13, 2006
  11. Greg N. Guest

    Coretys wrote:

    > I tried to make sure that my header gets split at an exact point in the
    > middle, and not only 1 charcter on a new line. That happens with
    > Japanese, because they don't use spaces at all. is there a way to
    > accomplish this without using the <nobr> tag? I get an erro message,
    > when I check the page on W3C.

    I'm not sure what follows is a clean, side-effect free approach, but it
    may work for you: Write your characters in groups, and put spaces where
    line breaks are allowed. For example:

    <h1 class=tie>ABC DEFG HIJ</h1>

    Use CSS to make te spaces invisible:

    ..tie {word-spacing:-.25em;}

    This will be rendered as ABCDEFGHIJ, but line breaks, if necessary, will
    only occur between C-D or G-H.

    Greg N., Mar 13, 2006
  12. dorayme Guest

    dorayme, Mar 13, 2006
  13. Arne Guest

    Once upon a time *Coretys* wrote:
    > Your comments are rather useless. A waste or my and your time. But
    > ... Keep up the good work :)

    And who are you talking to? Not quoting is a waste of others time, since
    we must search for the message you don't quote to make sence of your
    post. If we would like to help you out, that is.

    How to quote: http://www.netmeister.org/news/learn2quote.html#toc2
    *From Google*: http://www.safalra.com/special/googlegroupsreply/

    Google Group Users, read about The Usenet Improvement Project:
    http://blinkynet.net/comp/uip5.html

    --
    /Arne

    Why bottom-posting is better than top-posting
    http://www.caliburn.nl/topposting.html
    Arne, Mar 14, 2006