    (我是 æ„大利人 , 但是 我 ä½ åœ¨ ç‘žå…¸)
    (minä olen Italian kansalainen, mutta minä asun Ruotsissa)
    https://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/
    Luigi Donatello Asero, Sep 21, 2005

  2. Luigi Donatello Asero

    rf Guest

    rf, Sep 21, 2005

  3. "rf" <@invalid.com> skrev i meddelandet
    news:G02Ye.1259$...
    > Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:
    >
    > > https://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com

    > The centre column layout is broken in Firefox.
    >
    > Cheers
    > Richard.

    What does the problem depend on?
    The page validates.
    http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=https://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/index.php

    --
    Luigi Donatello Asero
    (sono italiano ma vivo in Svezia)
    Luigi Donatello Asero, Sep 21, 2005
  4. Luigi Donatello Asero

    rf Guest

    Luigi Donatello Asero

    > "rf" <@invalid.com> skrev i meddelandet
    > > Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:
    > >
    > > > https://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com

    > > The centre column layout is broken in Firefox.

    > What does the problem depend on?

    AFAICT nothing. It's permanently broken.

    > The page validates.

    Validation does not imply that it works.

    http://users.bigpond.net.au/rf/screenshot/l.jpg

    BTW Why on earth is that page serverd up as HTTPS? I see no input fields
    anywhere on that page that would require a secure connection.

    Cheers
    Richard
    rf, Sep 21, 2005
  5. rf wrote:
    > Luigi Donatello Asero
    >
    >> "rf" <@invalid.com> skrev i meddelandet

    >>> The centre column layout is broken in Firefox.

    >> What does the problem depend on?

    > AFAICT nothing. It's permanently broken.

    ...and the entire site is extremely difficult to figure out, even if
    you can read the language.

    >> The page validates.

    > Validation does not imply that it works.
    >
    > http://users.bigpond.net.au/rf/screenshot/l.jpg

    Ooh! Ooh! I've got one too!
    http://k75s.home.att.net/images/luigi.jpg

    > BTW Why on earth is that page serverd up as HTTPS? I see no input
    > fields anywhere on that page that would require a secure
    > connection.

    We tried to talk him out of that nonsense several months ago. We lost.

    --
    -bts
    -This space intentionally left blank.
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Sep 21, 2005
  6. Luigi Donatello Asero

    rf Guest

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    > rf wrote:

    > > BTW Why on earth is that page serverd up as HTTPS? I see no input
    > > fields anywhere on that page that would require a secure
    > > connection.

    > We tried to talk him out of that nonsense several months ago. We lost.

    Ah yes, I remember now, the paranoia bit. I largely ignored it then.

    Hmmm. I think I'll just move on to something else now.

    Cheers
    Richard.
    rf, Sep 21, 2005
  7. "rf" <@invalid.com> skrev i meddelandet
    > Luigi Donatello Asero
    > >
    > > "rf" <@invalid.com> skrev i meddelandet

    > > > The centre column layout is broken in Firefox.

    > > What does the problem depend on?

    > AFAICT nothing. It's permanently broken.

    What does AFAICT mean?

    > > The page validates.

    > Validation does not imply that it works.

    It seems to be so. But it is difficult to say what is wrong with one page
    which validates,
    isn´t it?

    > http://users.bigpond.net.au/rf/screenshot/l.jpg
    >
    > BTW Why on earth is that page serverd up as HTTPS? I see no input fields
    > anywhere on that page that would require a secure connection.

    Because as user I trust more https pages than http pages.
    That does not mean that all the users will think the same way I do, but I
    find it difficult to believe that there are many users who trust more a http
    page than a https page, given that the other circumstances are the same.
    As a user accessing a page over http protocoll I wonder whether there are
    pages at all in that website which are sent over https ( for example forms).
    A page which is sent over https should be the one it pretends to be. A page
    sent over http might be another.
    Besides I find more practical for me to have all https pages instead of
    having some http pages and other https pages.
    The user who does not like the warning message which are shown by the
    browser/browsers
    can check the option that he does not want to see them any longer

    Luigi Donatello Asero, Sep 21, 2005
  8. "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <> skrev i meddelandet
    > rf wrote:
    > > Luigi Donatello Asero

    > > Validation does not imply that it works.
    > >
    > > http://users.bigpond.net.au/rf/screenshot/l.jpg

    > Ooh! Ooh! I've got one too!
    > http://k75s.home.att.net/images/luigi.jpg

    Thank you for posting it.
    Do you know what it depends on?

    Luigi Donatello Asero, Sep 21, 2005
  9. Luigi Donatello Asero

    rf Guest

    rf, Sep 21, 2005
  10. "rf" <@invalid.com> skrev i meddelandet
    > Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:
    >
    > > What does AFAICT mean?

    > http://www.google.com.au/search?q=afaict
    >
    > Cheers
    > Richard.

    Ok. So you mean that, as far as you can tell, there is nothing which I can
    do
    to correct this mistake and let Firefox show the table without breaking it.

    Luigi Donatello Asero, Sep 21, 2005
  11. Luigi Donatello Asero

    rf Guest

    Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:

    > "rf" <@invalid.com> skrev i meddelandet
    > > Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:
    > >
    > > > What does AFAICT mean?

    > > http://www.google.com.au/search?q=afaict
    > >

    > Ok. So you mean that, as far as you can tell, there is nothing which I can
    > do
    > to correct this mistake and let Firefox show the table without breaking

    it.

    No, I don't mean that at all.

    You asked "what does this depend on".

    I interpret this to mean "at my end". That is, what can I, the user, do to
    produce/eliminate the problem.

    I answered that it does not depend on anything [at my end], as in browser
    size, user font size etc. It is a permanent authoring error.

    <tinkers/>

    FWIW it is caused by you specifying display: block; for your td elements.

    IE is so broken that it will ignore display: block; for td elements. FF
    accepts it, with the bizarre results we see.

    Why do you want your td elements to be display: block; anyway? They are part
    of a table, they should be display: table-row; surely.

    No, belay that. I don't want to know :)

    Cheers
    Richard.
    rf, Sep 21, 2005
  12. Luigi Donatello Asero

    JDS Guest

    JDS, Sep 21, 2005
  13. Luigi Donatello Asero

    Neredbojias Guest

    With neither quill nor qualm, "rf" <@invalid.com> quothed:

    > Why do you want your td elements to be display: block; anyway? They are part
    > of a table, they should be display: table-row; surely.
    >
    > No, belay that. I don't want to know :)

    That was definitely my biggest laugh of the week.

    --
    Neredbojias
    Neredbojias, Sep 21, 2005
  14. Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:
    > "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <> skrev i meddelandet
    >
    >>Ooh! Ooh! I've got one too!
    >>http://k75s.home.att.net/images/luigi.jpg

    > Thank you for posting it.
    > Do you know what it depends on?

    Probably a design error of yours.

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Sep 21, 2005
  15. JDS wrote:
    > On Wed, 21 Sep 2005 01:20:45 +0000, wrote:
    >
    >> Ah yes, I remember now, the paranoia bit. I largely ignored it
    >> then.

    > So if I point out his misunderstanding of the how and why behind
    > https, he will not get it? 'cause I was about to tell him the
    > flaws in his thinking on the issue.

    That was tried some months ago when he decided to "secure" his site by
    making all the regular old ordinary pages "https." He thinks it really
    is more secure, and that his visitors will appreciate it.

    Luigi has done .. triple? .. work on his site because of this.

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Sep 21, 2005
  16. Luigi Donatello Asero

    dorayme Guest

    > From: "Luigi Donatello Asero" <>

    > I know that my website
    > https://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com
    > is far from being perfect.
    > I have modified a few things since we talked about it a few months ago.
    > For example there are probably much less validation errors than there used
    > to be some months ago, I have begun to create subsubdirectories, I have
    > begun using
    > <?php include "menu-svenska.html"; ?> and the like to be able to save the
    > menu.
    > There are also some new pictures, the homepage has changed.
    > But there are probably many other things to improve.
    > Do you have any suggestions?
    > Thank you very much in advance and for any help which you gave me before in
    > this NG.
    >
    > --
    > Luigi Donatello Asero

    It looks badly broken on my best browser on Mac OS9 (Mozilla
    1.3.1). It will surely be pointed out by others. If not, I will
    send you a screen shot. Are you looking at this site of yours in
    all the browsers you can? Using screen shot services on the
    internet for other platform browsers and getting rid of all the
    markup errors as shown by validation services?

    dorayme
    dorayme, Sep 21, 2005
  17. Luigi Donatello Asero

    dorayme Guest

    > From: "rf" <@invalid.com>
    >
    > Luigi Donatello Asero
    >>
    >> "rf" <@invalid.com> skrev i meddelandet

    >>> The centre column layout is broken in Firefox.

    >> What does the problem depend on?

    > AFAICT nothing. It's permanently broken.
    >
    >> The page validates.

    > Validation does not imply that it works.
    >
    > http://users.bigpond.net.au/rf/screenshot/l.jpg
    >
    > BTW Why on earth is that page serverd up as HTTPS? I see no input fields
    > anywhere on that page that would require a secure connection.
    >
    > Cheers
    > Richard

    I beg you with all my heart... Don't go there again. This whole
    business was gone into last time around with Luigi... It is like
    a religious discussion. He wants secure. Let him have it!

    dorayme
    dorayme, Sep 21, 2005
  18. Luigi Donatello Asero

    rf Guest

    JDS wrote:

    > > Ah yes, I remember now, the paranoia bit. I largely ignored it then.

    > So if I point out his misunderstanding of the how and why behind https, he
    > will not get it? 'cause I was about to tell him the flaws in his thinking
    > on the issue.

    Correct. Absolutely everybody advised him against it during the original
    discussion. Everybodys advice was dismissed.

    It appears that the pages *must* be served encrypted so some nasty third
    party hacker will not be able to change them during their travels from the
    server to the client. The viewer *must* be secure in the knowledge that the
    information on the page being viewed *is* in fact the same information that
    the author placed on the server.

    The overheads HTTPS incurs are not, apparently, an issue.

    Cheers
    Richard.
    rf, Sep 21, 2005
  19. "dorayme" <> skrev i meddelandet
    > > From: "Luigi Donatello Asero" <>

    > > I know that my website
    > > https://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com
    > > is far from being perfect.
    > > I have modified a few things since we talked about it a few months ago.
    > > For example there are probably much less validation errors than there

    used
    > > to be some months ago, I have begun to create subsubdirectories, I have
    > > begun using
    > > <?php include "menu-svenska.html"; ?> and the like to be able to save

    the
    > > menu.
    > > There are also some new pictures, the homepage has changed.
    > > But there are probably many other things to improve.
    > > Do you have any suggestions?
    > > Thank you very much in advance and for any help which you gave me before

    in
    > > this NG.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Luigi Donatello Asero

    > It looks badly broken on my best browser on Mac OS9 (Mozilla
    > 1.3.1). It will surely be pointed out by others. If not, I will
    > send you a screen shot. Are you looking at this site of yours in
    > all the browsers you can?

    Well, actually, I am not.
    I understand that it would be better to do that although it is partly a
    matter of resources.
    See also my previous post in this thread.
    How does the page look now after the changes which I have made, anyway?

    Luigi Donatello Asero, Sep 21, 2005
  20. "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <> skrev i meddelandet
    > Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:
    > > "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <> skrev i

    meddelandet

    > >>Ooh! Ooh! I've got one too!