Please criticize my website.

dorayme

From: "Luigi Donatello Asero said:
Well, actually, I am not.
I understand that it would be better to do that although it is partly a
matter of resources.
See also my previous post in this thread.
How does the page look now after the changes which I have made, anyway?

Better (in Mozilla). But the picture of the bird is still
awkwardly jammed
up, not gracefully placed and no padding... I don't really know
what you are seeing, but the whole page looks very ... very... I
don't know... elementary... like as if css is turned off...
There seems to be no style rather than a nice one. Don't mean to
offend you - as I say, I don't know what you are seeing...

What's with the red line around the table? Is there some reason
you have the text in the links on the left underlined as if it
is not already glaringly obvious that they are links and ...

In my IE, the whole thing is just badly broken.

Here are just some things not right:

https://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/200.css
CSS Error (117/17): Invalid property value
³background-color:#ffffff².
CSS Error (117/17): Unknown identifier ³:#ffffff².
CSS Error (117/25): Invalid property value ³#ffffff².
https://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/8.css
CSS Error (129/17): Invalid property value
³background-color:#ffffff².
CSS Error (129/17): Unknown identifier ³:#ffffff².
CSS Error (129/25): Invalid property value ³#ffffff².
CSS Error (133/17): Invalid property value
³background-color:#ffffff².
CSS Error (133/17): Unknown identifier ³:#ffffff².
CSS Error (133/25): Invalid property value ³#ffffff².
https://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/index.php
HTML error (83/58): The end tag </A> is missing.

There is a good reason these errors show up. You need to look
and put your thinking cap on. Take the first one in the list
above: it is not that #FFFFFF is so bad but that the line before
it in your css has no semicolon at the end probably triggering
fault reports and errors in display.

Your css at about line 117 here is:

IMG {border:none;}
..one { float:left; clear:both; background-color:#ffffff;
}
..two {display:table; margin-left: auto; margin-right: auto;
clear:both
background-color:#ffffff;
}

Note the clear:both without the ;

Really, you ought to be reviewing all your work carefully. I
just point to a few...

dorayme

Toby Inkster

rf said:
Why do you want your td elements to be display: block; anyway? They are part
of a table, they should be display: table-row; surely.

I expect display:table-cell would be more appropriate.

Els

Toby said:
says:

| Please choose your version
| Below you can choose which version of this page you want to display
| for example "php" or "html".

WHY?!

What difference does it make to the end user which version they choose?

Luigi has secret reasons for the choice, which he cannot reveal, in
order to protect his one man business.

Dylan Parry

Using a pointed stick and pebbles, Els scraped:
Luigi has secret reasons for the choice, which he cannot reveal, in
order to protect his one man business.

Hehe! The man just likes to create extra work for himself without having
any clues as to *why*.

Els

Dylan said:
Using a pointed stick and pebbles, Els scraped:

Hehe! The man just likes to create extra work for himself without having
any clues as to *why*.

Yup - I gave up on him quite a while ago already.

Arne

Once said:
Luigi has secret reasons for the choice, which he cannot reveal, in
order to protect his one man business.

He is also a man who want to protect his visitors, so he use https for
all pages, even there is no forms to add any personal (or other for
that matter) information. But he don't trust other sites that uses the
same https for what it's supposed to used for. :)

Jonathan N. Little

dorayme wrote:

It looks badly broken on my best browser on Mac OS9 (Mozilla
1.3.1).

Hey, dorayme Moz is now 1.7.11 You might want o upgrade yours, versions
before 1.7.x had some serious CCS bugs which they have fixed long ago!

Jonathan N. Little

Els wrote:
Luigi has secret reasons for the choice, which he cannot reveal, in
order to protect his one man business.
Must be a very-very-very secret business! So secret he hasn't told
himself! ;-)

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Jonathan said:
dorayme wrote:

Hey, dorayme Moz is now 1.7.11 You might want o upgrade yours,
versions before 1.7.x had some serious CCS bugs which they have
fixed long ago!

Just read that 1.7.12 is just about to be issued.

Luigi Donatello Asero

dorayme said:
[...]

I am going to read your thread carefully afterwards.
What it follows are just some remarks.
Did you try validate the css style sheet or how did you find the mistakes
yourself?

}

Note the clear:both without the ;

Really, you ought to be reviewing all your work carefully. I
just point to a few...

I wrote:
"But there are probably many other things to improve.
Do you have any suggestions?"
I do not expect the website to be perfect.
But I would appreciate constructive advice...

--
Luigi Donatello Asero
(sono italiano ma vivo in Svezia)

Luigi Donatello Asero

Toby Inkster said:
says:

| Please choose your version
| Below you can choose which version of this page you want to display
| for example "php" or "html".

WHY?!

What difference does it make to the end user which version they choose?

For some reasons which I do not want to discuss here, there are 2 versions,
at least at the moment.
We had already discussed this issue and the https issue before.
I would appreciate suggestions about other problems of the website.
Also, I like reading what you write and then decide myself if I like a piece
of advice or not.
By the way, I found many of your advice useful but that does not mean that
all of them must be useful....
and I am not perfect, either.
Ok?

--
Luigi Donatello Asero
(sono italiano ma vivo in Svezia)
(Ñ Ð¸Ñ‚Ð°Ð»ÑŒÑнец но Ñ Ð¶Ð¸Ð²Ñƒ в Швеции )
(我是 æ„大利人 , 但是 我 ä½ åœ¨ ç‘žå…¸)
(minä olen Italian kansalainen, mutta minä asun Ruotsissa)
https://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/

Luigi Donatello Asero

Toby Inkster said:
I expect display:table-cell would be more appropriate.

Ok. I am going to have a look at it afterwards.

--
Luigi Donatello Asero
(sono italiano ma vivo in Svezia)
(Ñ Ð¸Ñ‚Ð°Ð»ÑŒÑнец но Ñ Ð¶Ð¸Ð²Ñƒ в Швеции )
(我是 æ„大利人 , 但是 我 ä½ åœ¨ ç‘žå…¸)
(minä olen Italian kansalainen, mutta minä asun Ruotsissa)
https://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/

Luigi Donatello Asero

rf said:
are

Sorry, double typo. It was the tr elements that had display: block.

Cheers
Richard.

Which one now,

--
Luigi Donatello Asero
(sono italiano ma vivo in Svezia)
(Ñ Ð¸Ñ‚Ð°Ð»ÑŒÑнец но Ñ Ð¶Ð¸Ð²Ñƒ в Швеции )
(我是 æ„大利人 , 但是 我 ä½ åœ¨ ç‘žå…¸)
(minä olen Italian kansalainen, mutta minä asun Ruotsissa)
https://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/

Els

[snip list of errors]

[snip perfect and useful explanation about these errors]
I wrote:
"But there are probably many other things to improve.
Do you have any suggestions?"
I do not expect the website to be perfect.
But I would appreciate constructive advice...

I think Luigi needs a course in clue-recognition :\

Jonathan N. Little

Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:

Just read that 1.7.12 is just about to be issued.

Yeah! They're fix some of their whopping 4 outstanding security issues! :)

Luigi Donatello Asero

I wrote:
"But there are probably many other things to improve.
Do you have any suggestions?"
I do not expect the website to be perfect.
But I would appreciate constructive advice...

I think Luigi needs a course in clue-recognition :\

Dorayme has perhaps given useful suggestions but I have not been able to
check up all the CSS mistakes about which she wrote.
What I wrote about constructive advice was not referred to her specifically.
Is it she, by the way?

--
Luigi Donatello Asero
(sono italiano ma vivo in Svezia)
(Ñ Ð¸Ñ‚Ð°Ð»ÑŒÑнец но Ñ Ð¶Ð¸Ð²Ñƒ в Швеции )
(我是 æ„大利人 , 但是 我 ä½ åœ¨ ç‘žå…¸)
(minä olen Italian kansalainen, mutta minä asun Ruotsissa)
https://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/

Els

Luigi said:
Dorayme has perhaps given useful suggestions but I have not been able to
check up all the CSS mistakes about which she wrote.
What I wrote about constructive advice was not referred to her specifically.

You are getting loads of sound advice, and you dismiss 99% of it.
That's called not having a clue.
Is it she, by the way?

Ask him.

Wÿrm

Els said:
Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:

You are getting loads of sound advice, and you dismiss 99% of it.
That's called not having a clue.

Sometimes and somecases I wonder if dismissing 99% of advice is/or should be
called as having a glue ;)) A way too much that...