Please criticue this site

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Groove, May 24, 2005.

  1. Groove

    Groove Guest

    Groove, May 24, 2005

  2. Luigi Donatello Asero, May 24, 2005

  3. Groove wrote:
    > http://www.sencesa.com/

    Very nice. Pleasing to the eye, easy to navigate, and I like your logo
    too.

    On the down side, You could clean up the code a little. There are a
    lot of needless errors.

    --
    -=tn=-
    Travis Newbury, May 24, 2005
  4. Groove

    SpaceGirl Guest

    Groove wrote:
    > http://www.sencesa.com/

    The design is okay, but I'm not sure about the two blended bars. I just
    dont like the effect, but that might just be a taste thing.

    You need to watch your spelling on the pages. There are a lot of
    mistakes/incorrect words.
    SpaceGirl, May 24, 2005
  5. "Groove" <> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > http://www.sencesa.com/

    very nice, as long as the images are displayed on the screen. if not (there
    are many reasons not to display images), your site becomes unaccessible.
    Bernhard Plugge, May 24, 2005
  6. Bernhard Plugge wrote:
    > > http://www.sencesa.com/

    > very nice, as long as the images are displayed on the screen. if not

    (there
    > are many reasons not to display images), your site becomes

    unaccessible.

    Not inaccessible, but trickier....

    But you know, if I go to a site with my images off (especially a site
    whos main reason for existance is images), and can't get around. I
    would think to myself, "Hey, I bet this guy is doing what a lot of
    sites do, and he has his navigation dependent on me seeing an image. I
    think I might turn them on and see the site..."

    But that's just me.

    --
    -=tn=-
    Travis Newbury, May 24, 2005
  7. Groove

    Adrienne Guest

    Gazing into my crystal ball I observed (Groove)
    writing in news::

    > http://www.sencesa.com/

    To add to what others have said, if you set the background color for the
    row that holds the navigation to a dark color, then users with images off
    will still be able to see the navigation links.

    --
    Adrienne Boswell
    http://www.cavalcade-of-coding.info
    Adrienne, May 24, 2005
  8. Groove

    kchayka Guest

    Travis Newbury wrote:

    > But you know, if I go to a site with my images off (especially a site
    > whos main reason for existance is images),

    They aren't selling images or image editing software, so any graphics at
    the site aren't really relevant. Loading images in web pages is
    unrelated to managing images on your hard-drive anyway, i.e. not loading
    images due to a slow dial-up connection doesn't mean I don't have 10gb
    of hard-drive dedicated to photos of my pet fish.

    > and can't get around. I
    > would think to myself, "Hey, I bet this guy is doing what a lot of
    > sites do, and he has his navigation dependent on me seeing an image. I
    > think I might turn them on and see the site..."

    And how many others would say to themselves, "There are a zillion other
    sites out there that have what I want without making me jump through
    hoops first, so I guess I'll just mozy on to somewhere else."

    > But that's just me.

    It probably is. :)

    kchayka, May 24, 2005
  9. kchayka wrote:
    > And how many others would say to themselves, "There are a zillion other
    > sites out there that have what I want without making me jump through
    > hoops first, so I guess I'll just mozy on to somewhere else."

    Well that is their prerogative.

    --
    -=tn=-
    Travis Newbury, May 24, 2005
  10. Adrienne wrote:
    >>http://www.sencesa.com/

    > To add to what others have said, if you set the background color for the
    > row that holds the navigation to a dark color, then users with images off
    > will still be able to see the navigation links.

    Very good.

    --
    -=tn=-
    Travis Newbury, May 24, 2005
  11. Groove wrote:
    > http://www.sencesa.com/

    The title image draws my eye to it when it's on-screen, which makes it
    hard for me to concentrate on the body text. Also, the body area's
    background is a bit too dark IMHO, but that's just a taste thing.
    Leif K-Brooks, May 24, 2005
  12. In article <>,
    "Travis Newbury" <> wrote:

    > Bernhard Plugge wrote:
    > > > http://www.sencesa.com/

    > > very nice, as long as the images are displayed on the screen. if not
    > > (there are many reasons not to display images), your site becomes

    > unaccessible.
    >
    > Not inaccessible, but trickier....
    >
    > But you know, if I go to a site with my images off (especially a site
    > whos main reason for existance is images), and can't get around. I
    > would think to myself, "Hey, I bet this guy is doing what a lot of
    > sites do, and he has his navigation dependent on me seeing an image. I
    > think I might turn them on and see the site..."

    Of course, if "this guy"'s image server is down -- not, of course, that
    that _ever_ happens in the real world -- enabling images on your end
    isn't going to do squat. Instead, said guy goes on losing sales because
    he/she/it didn't have the foresight to provide a bit of alt text to
    ensure the site was readily usable _regardless_ of why images weren't
    available to the end user.

    > But that's just me.

    Nope. Sometimes it has nothing to do with you at all. Sucks then,
    doesn't it?

    --
    Joel.
    Joel Shepherd, May 25, 2005
  13. Groove

    Guest

    Adrienne wrote:
    > > http://www.sencesa.com/

    > To add to what others have said, if you set the background color for the
    > row that holds the navigation to a dark color, then users with images off
    > will still be able to see the navigation links.

    Thanks.

    And thanks all too..
    , May 25, 2005
  14. Joel Shepherd wrote:

    > Of course, if "this guy"'s image server is down -- not, of course, that
    > that _ever_ happens in the real world -- enabling images on your end
    > isn't going to do squat. Instead, said guy goes on losing sales because
    > he/she/it didn't have the foresight to provide a bit of alt text to
    > ensure the site was readily usable _regardless_ of why images weren't
    > available to the end user.
    >>But that's just me.

    > Nope. Sometimes it has nothing to do with you at all. Sucks then,
    > doesn't it?

    No it only sucks for those that live to find issues.

    --
    -=tn=-
    Travis Newbury, May 25, 2005
  15. Travis Newbury wrote:
    > No it only sucks for those that live to find issues.

    The OP asked for a critique. We gave one.
    Leif K-Brooks, May 25, 2005
  16. > http://www.sencesa.com/

    Design
    Although it's unlikely to win any awards for design inovation, overall it's
    an attractive site and makes the company look like a professional outfit.

    The one page where this isn't the case is the purchase/buy now page.
    - For a start why does the link on the menu say 'purchase' when the
    button on the previous page says 'buy' - is there any need to be
    inconsistent?
    - Also the design of the form looks a little amteurish - use CSS to
    remove the default bevel and emoss on the form's lines.

    Coding
    Needs some work.
    The first thing you should do is put (meaningful) alt text on all images -
    otherwise the site's not accessible (and therefore illegal).

    --
    Richard Quick

    Richard Quick, May 25, 2005
  17. In article <8qXke.15649$>,
    Travis Newbury <> wrote:

    > Joel Shepherd wrote:
    >
    > > Of course, if "this guy"'s image server is down enabling images on your end
    > > isn't going to do squat. Sucks then, doesn't it?

    > No it only sucks for those that live to find issues.

    That particular issue found me (or, rather, the company I work for)
    repeatedly. It didn't need finding.

    And it did suck.

    --
    Joel.
    Joel Shepherd, May 25, 2005
  18. Leif K-Brooks wrote:
    >>No it only sucks for those that live to find issues.

    > The OP asked for a critique. We gave one.

    Right, as did I. And I was only pointing out that I did not see that
    as, as big of an issue.

    --
    -=tn=-
    Travis Newbury, May 25, 2005
  19. Richard Quick wrote:
    > Needs some work.
    > The first thing you should do is put (meaningful) alt text on all images -

    Yes he should

    > otherwise the site's not accessible (and therefore illegal).

    Not illegal, but some government agency's will not use it

    --
    -=tn=-
    Travis Newbury, May 25, 2005
  20. Joel Shepherd wrote:

    > That particular issue found me (or, rather, the company I work for)
    > repeatedly. It didn't need finding.
    > And it did suck.

    Your company had issues with the OP's site? Or are you speaking of the
    issue in general? I was addressing the OP's site directly. The issue
    you mention is irrelevant to his site. If the server he has his images
    on goes down, then his site goes down too making it a moot point. That
    is why I made the comment. I agree with you if you are speaking
    generically about a company that uses a different server for images.

    --
    -=tn=-
    Travis Newbury, May 25, 2005