Please CSS question

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Fabri, Aug 23, 2005.

  1. Fabri

    Fabri Guest

    Fabri, Aug 23, 2005

  2. Fabri

    Ed Jay Guest

    Fabri <> wrote:

    >Some guru in the house can explain me why this page:
    >
    >http://famigliamaccarrone.dynu.com/giovanni/principi.htm
    >
    >is OK in IE and not in FF?
    >
    >The right DIV "float" correctly right in IE but not in FF.
    >
    >Any help much appreciated.

    I don't know what's wrong, but it doesn't work in Opera (8.02) either.

    Ed Jay (remove M to respond)

    Ed Jay, Aug 23, 2005

  3. Fabri

    Fabri Guest

    Ed Jay wrote:

    > I don't know what's wrong, but it doesn't work in Opera (8.02) either.

    :-(

    I can't notice why.

    --
    Sign failure

    Fabri, Aug 23, 2005
  4. Fabri

    Els Guest

    Fabri wrote:

    > Some guru in the house can explain me why this page:
    >
    > http://famigliamaccarrone.dynu.com/giovanni/principi.htm
    >
    > is OK in IE and not in FF?
    >
    > The right DIV "float" correctly right in IE but not in FF.
    >
    > Any help much appreciated.

    You didn't give it a width. If you don't set a width for a float, it
    will try to be as wide as needed for the content. If you set a width,
    the content will try to fit inside.

    Instead of giving it a width (difficult in a fluid design), you can
    set a left margin. You can take "float:right;" out, and add in a
    left-margin, the same size as the width of the navigation. (and give
    the navigation a width, the same as the left-margin of the content :)
    )

    --
    Els http://locusmeus.com/
    - Renato Russo -

    Els, Aug 23, 2005
  5. Fabri

    Fabri Guest

    Els wrote:

    > Instead of giving it a width (difficult in a fluid design), you can
    > set a left margin. You can take "float:right;" out, and add in a
    > left-margin, the same size as the width of the navigation. (and give
    > the navigation a width, the same as the left-margin of the content :)

    That's it Els :)

    Awesome ;)

    --
    Sign failure

    Fabri, Aug 23, 2005
  6. Fabri wrote:
    > That's it Els :)
    >
    > Awesome ;)

    Now go back and set a background color... the page has an ugly aqua
    color background for me.

    Oh wait! That's my default background color! You need to set a
    background of white, or an off-white. I would also recommend adding
    more contrast to the content text (darker), which is a bit hard to
    read (even with a white background).

    There is still some problem with your width. I get a horizontal
    scrollbar in my 800x600 window.

    You are setting font sizes in px units. Visitors with IE will not be
    able to resize the text if they have bad vision. Switch to
    percentages. Then, use em units for your division widths, so they grow
    as well when text is increased.

    Consider not using justified text... hard to read.

    --
    -bts
    -This space intentionally left blank.

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Aug 23, 2005
  7. Fabri

    Fabri Guest

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:

    > Now go back and set a background color...

    Done!

    > I would also recommend adding more
    > contrast to the content text (darker), which is a bit hard to read (even
    > with a white background).

    Done!

    > There is still some problem with your width. I get a horizontal
    > scrollbar in my 800x600 window.

    Fixed!

    > You are setting font sizes in px units. Visitors with IE will not be
    > able to resize the text if they have bad vision. Switch to percentages.
    > Then, use em units for your division widths, so they grow as well when
    > text is increased.

    I don't understand this point...please can u give me some example?

    > Consider not using justified text... hard to read.

    I agree. Fixed!

    Great job Beauregard :)

    --
    Sign failure

    Fabri, Aug 23, 2005
  8. Fabri wrote:
    > Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    >
    >> Now go back and set a background color...

    > Done!

    Yes.

    >> I would also recommend adding more contrast to the content text
    >> (darker), which is a bit hard to read (even with a white
    >> background).

    > Done!

    Still is low-contrast for me. Make the text black, or almost black.

    >> There is still some problem with your width. I get a horizontal
    >> scrollbar in my 800x600 window.

    > Fixed!

    Yes.

    >> You are setting font sizes in px units. Visitors with IE will not
    >> be able to resize the text if they have bad vision. Switch to
    >> percentages. Then, use em units for your division widths, so they
    >> grow as well when text is increased.

    > I don't understand this point...please can u give me some example?

    Open the page in IE. Go to View > Text Size > Largest
    Nothing happens. If I had poor vision and needed big letters, I would
    not be able to do this, without going deep into the options and
    disabling Author font size for *all* sites.

    Open the page in .. Firefox. Press Control-Plus once or twice
    (Control-Minus to reverse). Note how print gets larger. Firefox is not
    broken like IE is.

    >> Consider not using justified text... hard to read.

    > I agree. Fixed!
    >
    > Great job Beauregard :)

    Thanks. Resetting all your sizing to percentages and ems will take you
    a bit of time, so let us know when that is done.

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Aug 23, 2005
  9. Fabri

    dorayme Guest

    > From: Fabri <>
    >
    > Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    >
    >> Now go back and set a background color...

    > Done!
    >
    >> I would also recommend adding more
    >> contrast to the content text (darker), which is a bit hard to read (even
    >> with a white background).

    > Done!
    >
    >> There is still some problem with your width. I get a horizontal
    >> scrollbar in my 800x600 window.

    > Fixed!
    >
    >> You are setting font sizes in px units. Visitors with IE will not be
    >> able to resize the text if they have bad vision. Switch to percentages.
    >> Then, use em units for your division widths, so they grow as well when
    >> text is increased.

    > I don't understand this point...please can u give me some example?
    >

    >> Consider not using justified text... hard to read.

    > I agree. Fixed!
    >

    > Great job Beauregard :)

    Jesus! Fabri, being so nice and appreciative and agreeable like this makes
    folks like me look even worse than we are...

    :)

    dorayme

    dorayme, Aug 24, 2005
  10. Fabri

    Fabri Guest

    dorayme wrote:

    > Jesus! Fabri, being so nice and appreciative and agreeable like this makes
    > folks like me look even worse than we are...

    Aehmm...sorry for my english..but I don't understand :-(

    --
    Sign failure

    Fabri, Aug 24, 2005
  11. Fabri

    Neredbojias Guest

    With neither quill nor qualm, Fabri quothed:

    > dorayme wrote:
    >
    > > Jesus! Fabri, being so nice and appreciative and agreeable like this makes
    > > folks like me look even worse than we are...

    > Aehmm...sorry for my english..but I don't understand :-(

    She's Australian so her English is kind of fongoo, too.

    --
    Neredbojias

    Neredbojias, Aug 24, 2005
  12. Fabri

    Rincewind Guest

    Rincewind, Aug 24, 2005
  13. Fabri

    Fabri Guest

    Rincewind wrote:

    > just to be picky why do have a valid xhtml 1.0 icon when it's not. It's
    > html 4.01

    Ahem..u are right.

    I'm looking for XHTML validator...

    --
    Sign failure

    Fabri, Aug 24, 2005
  14. Fabri

    Fabri Guest

    Rincewind wrote:

    > just to be picky why do have a valid xhtml 1.0 icon when it's not. It's
    > html 4.01

    Now, it is ;)

    --
    Sign failure

    Fabri, Aug 24, 2005
  15. Fabri

    Fabri Guest

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:

    > Thanks. Resetting all your sizing to percentages and ems will take you a
    > bit of time, so let us know when that is done.

    I think it's almost done...:)

    Regards.

    --
    Sign failure

    Fabri, Aug 24, 2005
  16. Fabri

    Mark Parnell Guest

    Previously in alt.html, Neredbojias <> said:

    > She's Australian

    Ain't naught wrong with that, laddie.

    > so her English is kind of fongoo, too.

    If I could work out what fongoo was, I might be offended... ;-)

    --
    Mark Parnell
    http://www.clarkecomputers.com.au

    Mark Parnell, Aug 24, 2005
  17. Fabri

    Mark Parnell Guest

    Previously in alt.html, Fabri <> said:

    > Aehmm...sorry for my english..but I don't understand :-(

    dorayme was simply commenting on the fact that you were so happy to
    accept criticism and work on the issues raised - unfortunately it seems
    to be an unusual attitude in those asking questions around here.

    Mark Parnell, Aug 24, 2005
  18. Fabri wrote:
    > Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    >
    >> Thanks. Resetting all your sizing to percentages and ems will
    >> take you a bit of time, so let us know when that is done.

    > I think it's almost done...:)

    Much better. Your IE visitors will thank you. <g> Looks nice, too.

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Aug 25, 2005
  19. Fabri

    Neredbojias Guest

    With neither quill nor qualm, Mark Parnell quothed:

    > Previously in alt.html, Neredbojias <> said:
    >
    > > She's Australian

    > Ain't naught wrong with that, laddie.

    Australians talk funny, like their voices need to be oiled or something.

    > > so her English is kind of fongoo, too.

    > If I could work out what fongoo was, I might be offended...

    I don't know what it means literally, but didn't you ever see a movie
    where the Italian mobster scrapes his fingers along the bottom of his
    chin and says, "Hey, fongoo!" I doubt if he's wishing anyone "Happy
    Birthday" in a colloquial way.

    --
    Neredbojias

    Neredbojias, Aug 25, 2005
  20. Fabri

    Mark Parnell Guest

    Previously in alt.html, Neredbojias <> said:

    > Australians talk funny, like their voices need to be oiled or something.

    Nah, you need your ears checked.

    > I don't know what it means literally, but didn't you ever see a movie
    > where the Italian mobster scrapes his fingers along the bottom of his
    > chin and says, "Hey, fongoo!"

    Actually, no. Though now that you mention it, IIRC it may be in one of
    the songs in Grease.

    > I doubt if he's wishing anyone "Happy
    > Birthday" in a colloquial way.

    I guess not.