Please CSS question

Els

Fabri said:
Some guru in the house can explain me why this page:

http://famigliamaccarrone.dynu.com/giovanni/principi.htm

is OK in IE and not in FF?

The right DIV "float" correctly right in IE but not in FF.

Any help much appreciated.

You didn't give it a width. If you don't set a width for a float, it
will try to be as wide as needed for the content. If you set a width,
the content will try to fit inside.

Instead of giving it a width (difficult in a fluid design), you can
set a left margin. You can take "float:right;" out, and add in a
left-margin, the same size as the width of the navigation. (and give
the navigation a width, the same as the left-margin of the content :)
)

Fabri

Els said:
Instead of giving it a width (difficult in a fluid design), you can
set a left margin. You can take "float:right;" out, and add in a
left-margin, the same size as the width of the navigation. (and give
the navigation a width, the same as the left-margin of the content :)

That's it Els :)

Awesome ;)

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Fabri said:
That's it Els :)

Awesome ;)

Now go back and set a background color... the page has an ugly aqua
color background for me.

Oh wait! That's my default background color! You need to set a
background of white, or an off-white. I would also recommend adding
more contrast to the content text (darker), which is a bit hard to
read (even with a white background).

There is still some problem with your width. I get a horizontal
scrollbar in my 800x600 window.

You are setting font sizes in px units. Visitors with IE will not be
able to resize the text if they have bad vision. Switch to
percentages. Then, use em units for your division widths, so they grow
as well when text is increased.

Consider not using justified text... hard to read.

Fabri

Beauregard said:
Now go back and set a background color...
Done!

I would also recommend adding more
contrast to the content text (darker), which is a bit hard to read (even
with a white background).
Done!

There is still some problem with your width. I get a horizontal
scrollbar in my 800x600 window.
Fixed!

You are setting font sizes in px units. Visitors with IE will not be
able to resize the text if they have bad vision. Switch to percentages.
Then, use em units for your division widths, so they grow as well when
text is increased.

I don't understand this point...please can u give me some example?

Consider not using justified text... hard to read.

I agree. Fixed!

Great job Beauregard :)

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Fabri said:
Yes.

Done!

Still is low-contrast for me. Make the text black, or almost black.
Yes.

I don't understand this point...please can u give me some example?

Open the page in IE. Go to View > Text Size > Largest
Nothing happens. If I had poor vision and needed big letters, I would
not be able to do this, without going deep into the options and
disabling Author font size for *all* sites.

Open the page in .. Firefox. Press Control-Plus once or twice
(Control-Minus to reverse). Note how print gets larger. Firefox is not
broken like IE is.
I agree. Fixed!

Great job Beauregard :)

Thanks. Resetting all your sizing to percentages and ems will take you
a bit of time, so let us know when that is done.

dorayme

From: Fabri said:
I don't understand this point...please can u give me some example?

I agree. Fixed!

Great job Beauregard :)

Jesus! Fabri, being so nice and appreciative and agreeable like this makes
folks like me look even worse than we are...

:)

dorayme

Fabri

dorayme said:
Jesus! Fabri, being so nice and appreciative and agreeable like this makes
folks like me look even worse than we are...

Aehmm...sorry for my english..but I don't understand :-(

Neredbojias

With neither quill nor qualm, Fabri quothed:
Aehmm...sorry for my english..but I don't understand :-(

She's Australian so her English is kind of fongoo, too.

Fabri

Beauregard said:
Thanks. Resetting all your sizing to percentages and ems will take you a
bit of time, so let us know when that is done.

I think it's almost done...:)

Regards.

Mark Parnell

Previously in alt.html said:
Aehmm...sorry for my english..but I don't understand :-(

dorayme was simply commenting on the fact that you were so happy to
accept criticism and work on the issues raised - unfortunately it seems
to be an unusual attitude in those asking questions around here.

Neredbojias

With neither quill nor qualm, Mark Parnell quothed:
Ain't naught wrong with that, laddie.

Australians talk funny, like their voices need to be oiled or something.
If I could work out what fongoo was, I might be offended...

I don't know what it means literally, but didn't you ever see a movie
where the Italian mobster scrapes his fingers along the bottom of his
chin and says, "Hey, fongoo!" I doubt if he's wishing anyone "Happy
Birthday" in a colloquial way.

Mark Parnell

Previously in alt.html said:
Australians talk funny, like their voices need to be oiled or something.

Nah, you need your ears checked.
I don't know what it means literally, but didn't you ever see a movie
where the Italian mobster scrapes his fingers along the bottom of his
chin and says, "Hey, fongoo!"

Actually, no. Though now that you mention it, IIRC it may be in one of
the songs in Grease.
I doubt if he's wishing anyone "Happy
Birthday" in a colloquial way.

I guess not.