Please define these terms

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Trans, Sep 23, 2006.

  1. Trans

    Trans Guest

    (And add any you think might be missing from the set)

    Application
    Library
    Toolkit
    Framework
    Package
    Project
    Program

    Thanks,
    T.
     
    Trans, Sep 23, 2006
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Trans wrote:
    > (And add any you think might be missing from the set)
    >
    > Application
    > Library
    > Toolkit
    > Framework
    > Package
    > Project
    > Program
    >
    > Thanks,
    > T.
    >
    >
    >

    Well, an obvious missing one is "platform".
     
    M. Edward (Ed) Borasky, Sep 23, 2006
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Trans

    MonkeeSage Guest

    Trans wrote:
    > (And add any you think might be missing from the set)


    That's actually harder than it might seem at first (at least to do it
    consistently). To quote Russell: "Everything is vague to a degree you
    do not realize till you have tried to make it precise." ;)

    Regards,
    Jordan
     
    MonkeeSage, Sep 23, 2006
    #3
  4. Trans

    Gene Tani Guest

    M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote:
    > Trans wrote:
    > > (And add any you think might be missing from the set)
    > >
    > > Application
    > > Library
    > > Toolkit
    > > Framework
    > > Package
    > > Project
    > > Program
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > > T.
    > >
    > >
    > >

    > Well, an obvious missing one is "platform".


    distribution, release, version, port, binary, one-click, embedding,
    extension,
     
    Gene Tani, Sep 23, 2006
    #4
  5. Trans

    Phrogz Guest

  6. Gene Tani wrote:
    > M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote:
    >> Trans wrote:
    >>> (And add any you think might be missing from the set)
    >>>
    >>> Application
    >>> Library
    >>> Toolkit
    >>> Framework
    >>> Package
    >>> Project
    >>> Program
    >>>
    >>> Thanks,
    >>> T.
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>

    >> Well, an obvious missing one is "platform".

    >
    > distribution, release, version, port, binary, one-click, embedding,
    > extension,
    >
    >
    >

    Deployment, architecture, schema ...
     
    M. Edward (Ed) Borasky, Sep 23, 2006
    #6
  7. Trans

    MonkeeSage Guest

    M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote:
    > Gene Tani wrote:
    > > M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote:
    > >> Trans wrote:
    > >>> (And add any you think might be missing from the set)
    > >>>
    > >>> Application
    > >>> Library
    > >>> Toolkit
    > >>> Framework
    > >>> Package
    > >>> Project
    > >>> Program
    > >>>
    > >>> Thanks,
    > >>> T.
    > >>>
    > >>>
    > >>>
    > >> Well, an obvious missing one is "platform".

    > >
    > > distribution, release, version, port, binary, one-click, embedding,
    > > extension,
    > >
    > >
    > >

    > Deployment, architecture, schema ...


    namespace, callback, protocol, server, client...

    Ps. Trans, what's wrong with the FOLDOC definitions of these words?
     
    MonkeeSage, Sep 23, 2006
    #7
  8. On Sat, Sep 23, 2006 at 08:39:15AM +0900, Trans wrote:
    > (And add any you think might be missing from the set)
    >
    > Application

    A process or system of processes

    > Library

    Collection of reusable code tied together by some common theme. Other
    code calls out to this code.

    > Toolkit

    Collection of libraries

    > Framework

    Reusable themed code that calls out to other application specific code in order to create an application.

    > Package

    Container

    > Project

    Set of goals

    > Program

    Application

    >
    > Thanks,
    > T.
    >

    You're welcome.
     
    Logan Capaldo, Sep 23, 2006
    #8
  9. Trans

    Trans Guest

    MonkeeSage wrote:
    >
    > namespace, callback, protocol, server, client...


    Well, I think we're starting to get too far outside the scope of
    'categories of software'.

    > Ps. Trans, what's wrong with the FOLDOC definitions of these words?


    Nice resource. Thanks for mentioning it. They are missing a few term
    though such as Project and Package.

    T.
     
    Trans, Sep 23, 2006
    #9
  10. Trans

    Trans Guest

    Logan Capaldo wrote:
    > On Sat, Sep 23, 2006 at 08:39:15AM +0900, Trans wrote:
    > > (And add any you think might be missing from the set)
    > >
    > > Application

    > A process or system of processes


    That seems a little to scant, although perhap acurate. It weight heavy
    on what you mean by process though. I guess I see an Application as
    Program for an end-user, in contrast to a Library.

    > > Library

    > Collection of reusable code tied together by some common theme. Other
    > code calls out to this code.
    >
    > > Toolkit

    > Collection of libraries


    Okay. That's interesting. I was thinking of library being bigger then
    that. And a Toolkit for instance being a type of Library --a Library of
    many disperate modules. But you have an interesting perspective b/c
    indeed any one of the disperate modules can be called a library in
    itself. Hmm... so would Facets be a toolkit and not a library then? Not
    sure. I guess I rather say there are two overall types of software:
    Application and Library. I think with you definition it would have to
    be: Application and Toolkit. Then again given your definition of
    Application maybe you seem that there is only Application?

    > > Framework

    > Reusable themed code that calls out to other application specific code in order to create an application.


    Not sure what is "other application specific code". But we agree it is
    a type of Library. Guess I see a framework as a library that address
    how one structures codes rather then simple addtional compenents to
    code with.

    > > Package

    > Container


    This is an intersting one. B/c on one hand I see it as a "release" --a
    self contained distribution of a library or application. BUt then I
    look at UML's defintion and that seems more like a Library or Toolkit.

    > > Project

    > Set of goals


    Okay, that's at least part of it. But in the context of CS -- I think a
    Project is a Program from the perspective of the developer, i.e. it
    include lots of supporting files/code not neccessarily distributed in
    the "Package".

    > > Program

    > Application


    Ah, guess that confirms the point about there being but one type. I see
    Program as the one type, ie.. Progam == Software, but not Applicaiton.

    Intersting.

    Btw, the reason I've asked about this is becuase I have a naming issue
    in my current project. I have project/library/application metadata in
    one class, and both a Project class (tools to act on a project) and a
    Library class (manages require) that use it. So this metadata thing is
    something that encompasses the two and I'm not sure what best to label
    it.

    T.
     
    Trans, Sep 24, 2006
    #10
  11. People wrote:
    > blah


    I know people consider it a copout when someone shouts "SEMANTICS!"
    right about now, but I find it really interesting that I have no
    interest whatsoever in this discussion, and yet many others do. Please,
    continue your discussion, and don't take my disinterest as some sort of
    arrogant dismissal, but if you've got any insight into why I (party like
    I) just don't care (and many others do), I'd love to hear it. Am I a
    vocal minority, or are the semantic pedantics a vocal minority?

    Thanks/sorry/whatever/continue,
    Devin
     
    Devin Mullins, Sep 24, 2006
    #11
  12. Trans

    Trans Guest

    Devin Mullins wrote:
    > People wrote:
    > > blah

    >
    > I know people consider it a copout when someone shouts "SEMANTICS!"
    > right about now, but I find it really interesting that I have no
    > interest whatsoever in this discussion, and yet many others do. Please,
    > continue your discussion, and don't take my disinterest as some sort of
    > arrogant dismissal, but if you've got any insight into why I (party like
    > I) just don't care (and many others do), I'd love to hear it. Am I a
    > vocal minority, or are the semantic pedantics a vocal minority?


    I'm trying to codify some of these "things". So it isn't actaully
    padantic at all. Also clearify terminology helps discussion.

    T.
     
    Trans, Sep 24, 2006
    #12
  13. Trans

    Matt Todd Guest

    > > Project
    > Set of goals


    Logan, that has got to be the coolest thing I've read about projects
    in a long time!

    Thanks!

    M.T.
     
    Matt Todd, Sep 24, 2006
    #13
  14. Trans

    snacktime Guest

    Beer?
     
    snacktime, Sep 24, 2006
    #14
  15. Trans

    MonkeeSage Guest

    snacktime wrote:
    > Beer?


    +1

    Regards,
    Jordan
     
    MonkeeSage, Sep 24, 2006
    #15
  16. Trans

    Trans Guest

    Paul Lutus wrote:
    > Trans wrote:
    >
    > > I'm trying to codify some of these "things".

    >
    > s/codify/clarify/ ?
    >
    > Codifying gets you to where we are now, with terms, though useful to
    > insiders, that are too terse for decoding by nonspecialists. Clarifying is
    > what you seem to be after.


    I mean codify, as in create a program:

    class Library
    ...
    end

    > > So it isn't actaully
    > > padantic at all.

    >
    > s/padantic/pedantic/ !


    Yea, well, "I don't give a damn for a man that can only spell a word
    one way." --Mark Twain

    > > Also clearify terminology helps discussion.

    >
    > s/ ... what?


    Also clarifying terminology helps discussion.

    T.
     
    Trans, Sep 24, 2006
    #16
  17. Trans wrote:
    > Also clarifying terminology helps discussion.


    All right, now I feel guilty for derailing the thread.

    Application
    A set of executable code with a human interface -- command-line or GUI.

    Program
    A more general term than application. A set of executable code which
    requires a human to "start it" (so, not a device driver), but might not
    have a human interface after that.

    Library
    A set of executable code with no human interface, an exposed code
    interface, a theme of some sort.

    Toolkit
    Larger in scope than a library, and, I guess, also includes some
    programs. Say, a windowing toolkit, which includes an app for generating
    resource files.

    Framework
    A set of executable code that takes control of the main event loop, and
    to some extent dictates the structure of your code. Usually includes
    library code (and that's usually the reason you use it), though of a
    much wider scope than a library (e.g. "full-stack").

    Package
    1. Collection of files.
    2. Something that The Todd is quite fond of.

    Project
    A set of goals + at least one doer at any time (may not be the same over
    time).

    > T.

    Mostly, though, I'll use a lot of these terms interchangeably. Why are
    you codifying this? Is there not a more general approach you can take?

    Devin
     
    Devin Mullins, Sep 24, 2006
    #17
  18. On 9/24/06, Devin Mullins <> wrote:
    >
    > All right, now I feel guilty for derailing the thread.
    >
    > Application


    The things I keep filling out but not getting callbacks on.

    > Program


    The thing people keep telling me to "get with".

    > Library


    The place where I make copies of my resume. They have books too!

    > Toolkit


    The thing my dad keeps telling me to get, if I want a real job.

    > Framework


    My dad builds these using a toolkit, I presume.

    > Package


    Last layoff, I think this was about a week's pay for every year with
    the company.

    > Project


    What, me projecting?

    Ooh, a couple other easy ones that follow:

    * client -- If I'm consulting, I guess I need these.
    * server -- What pays the bills while looking for clients.

    Badda-bing! ;)
    ---John
     
    John Gabriele, Sep 25, 2006
    #18
  19. Trans

    Trans Guest

    Devin Mullins wrote:
    > Trans wrote:
    > > Also clarifying terminology helps discussion.

    >
    > All right, now I feel guilty for derailing the thread.
    >
    > Application
    > A set of executable code with a human interface -- command-line or GUI.
    >
    > Program
    > A more general term than application. A set of executable code which
    > requires a human to "start it" (so, not a device driver), but might not
    > have a human interface after that.
    >
    > Library
    > A set of executable code with no human interface, an exposed code
    > interface, a theme of some sort.
    >
    > Toolkit
    > Larger in scope than a library, and, I guess, also includes some
    > programs. Say, a windowing toolkit, which includes an app for generating
    > resource files.
    >
    > Framework
    > A set of executable code that takes control of the main event loop, and
    > to some extent dictates the structure of your code. Usually includes
    > library code (and that's usually the reason you use it), though of a
    > much wider scope than a library (e.g. "full-stack").
    >
    > Package
    > 1. Collection of files.
    > 2. Something that The Todd is quite fond of.
    >
    > Project
    > A set of goals + at least one doer at any time (may not be the same over
    > time).
    >
    > > T.

    > Mostly, though, I'll use a lot of these terms interchangeably. Why are
    > you codifying this? Is there not a more general approach you can take?


    A Project Management Application, i.e. Build Tool. Partly I'm just just
    curious but I am also wrestling with one naming issue so I thought it
    might help to ask. I have a Project class which contains methods for
    acting upon a... er... "Program" (?), and a Library class for utilzing
    "it". Both share much of the same "metadata" so they both delegate to
    another class which stores that. Don't know what to name that class
    though. Right now it's called er... well... Program :) But then again
    maybe I haven't named any of them optimally. For instance, I was
    suprised to see UML refer to what I would call a "library" as a
    "package".

    T.
     
    Trans, Sep 25, 2006
    #19
  20. Trans

    Trans Guest

    Phrogz wrote:
    > Trans wrote:
    > > (And add any you think might be missing from the set)

    >
    > http://labs.google.com/sets
    >
    > > Application
    > > Library
    > > Toolkit
    > > Framework
    > > Package
    > > Project
    > > Program

    >
    > Two useful Google Search types:
    > http://www.google.com/search?q=define:Application
    > http://www.google.com/search?q=define Application
    > http://www.google.com/search?q=define:Library
    > http://www.google.com/search?q=define Library
    > http://www.google.com/search?q=define:Toolkit
    > http://www.google.com/search?q=define Toolkit
    > http://www.google.com/search?q=define:Framework
    > http://www.google.com/search?q=define Framework
    > http://www.google.com/search?q=define:Package
    > http://www.google.com/search?q=define Package
    > http://www.google.com/search?q=define:Project
    > http://www.google.com/search?q=define Project
    > http://www.google.com/search?q=define:Program
    > http://www.google.com/search?q=define Program


    Thanks for these links. Reading through them I am arriving at:

    Application
    Program that has an end-use, intended for accomplishing Projects.

    Library
    Program that has no independent usage, intended for building other
    Programs.

    Toolkit
    GUI Library

    Framework
    Program providing support structure in which another program can be
    organized and developed.

    Package
    Originizational unit of Programs: Module, Folder or Archive.

    Project
    A set of activities and the collection of data directed to a goal.
    More specifically, a network of activities, or file(s) containing
    such a network.
    (In our case a Programming Project)

    Program
    [Fundamental term] Computer Instructions; Software.

    T.
     
    Trans, Sep 25, 2006
    #20
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Lori Cole via .NET 247

    Laman's terms please!

    Lori Cole via .NET 247, Aug 29, 2004, in forum: ASP .Net
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    2,694
    bruce barker
    Oct 28, 2004
  2. recvfrom
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    306
    A. Sinan Unur
    Mar 20, 2006
  3. Dave
    Replies:
    6
    Views:
    330
  4. Unitary Matrix
    Replies:
    13
    Views:
    505
  5. Daniel Pitts
    Replies:
    12
    Views:
    525
    Martin Gregorie
    Mar 15, 2012
Loading...

Share This Page