Please define these terms

Joel VanderWerf

Paul said:
Trans wrote:

/ ...

That's a limited definition. YAML is a toolkit, as is REXML. The GUI angle
may or may not be present. I would have defined it as a set of carefully
designed algorithms with wide applicability.

Too limiting. A framework can also be a class or module definition that ties
otherwise disparate elements together, or enforces rules in a beneficial
way. And classes are not programs, because they don't necessarily have a
standalone executable identity (how a program is defined).

I would say that the distinguishing feature of a Framework is that it
has an overall structure, such as an event loop, which calls back into
the code developed on top of the framework. A GUI library would
typically fit this pattern.