Please enlighten me:-0 HELP Please

Discussion in 'Javascript' started by kevin, Sep 1, 2003.

  1. kevin

    kevin Guest

    hi there I am struggling with javascript. Can you please help me

    I've managed to get the get URL in flash to open a html that has the
    function that opens the Feedback form I want.

    I Couldn't get the feedback form to load directly from the flash
    because I had to use the function in dreamweaver that opens it with
    the specifications I wanted.

    That being just a simple box with no menus etc...

    Only problem is I cant get the form to sit in the top left
    positioning??styles??

    and how do you get the original html that opens it to close or not
    even open but execute the function and the feedback form html??

    thanks
    kevin

    kevin, Sep 1, 2003

  2. "kevin" <> wrote in message
    >hi there I am struggling with javascript. Can you please
    >help me

    >I've managed to get the get URL in flash to open a html that
    >has the function that opens the Feedback form I want.
    >
    >I Couldn't get the feedback form to load directly from the
    >flash because I had to use the function in dreamweaver that
    >opens it with the specifications I wanted.
    >
    >That being just a simple box with no menus etc...
    >
    >Only problem is I cant get the form to sit in the top left
    >positioning??styles??
    >
    >and how do you get the original html that opens it to close
    >or not even open but execute the function and the feedback
    >form html??

    So, you appear to be using a link in a Flash to navigate to a new HTML
    page that opens a pop-up in which the feedback form is loaded. The
    intermediate HTML page is unnecessary as the Flash getURL function is
    capable of executing javascript: pseudo-protocol URLs directly (though
    there are plenty of reasons for not attempting that).

    I suspect, from your description, that your level of understanding of
    web authoring/programming does not extend beyond the operating of
    Dreamweaver (they say that when you really understand something you are
    also able to explain it). Unfortunately that leaves you with two
    choices; rely on Dreamweaver to understand what it is doing [1] and
    accept that when you are not able to get it to do what you want then you
    will not be able to do it, or learn the technologies that go towards web
    authoring so you can work up to the real limitations imposed by the
    medium.

    Learning the technologies will take time, effort, and probably a couple
    of books (and/or their online equivalents). It is certainly unrealistic
    for a usenet response to attempt to take you from a starting point of
    zero to a position where you would be able to make informed decisions
    about whether and how to open and position new browser windows, and/or
    interact with Flash without using the javascript: pseudo-protocol. (It
    is worth mentioning, if you intend attempting to learn JavaScript, that
    the Macromedia/Dreamweaver JavaScript functions are among the worst ever
    written. They have no merits beyond illustrating how not to write
    JavaScript and should under no circumstances be taken as examples of how
    to write JavaScript in terms of either style or strategy.)

    Incidentally, I have previously read comments along the lines of "it is
    OK to rely on Flash and JavaScript and open new browser window because I
    never get any complaints when I do so". If you use flash to trigger
    JavaScript that opens a new window to access your feedback form you will
    guarantee that you never get any feedback from anyone who is:-

    1. Using a PDA/embedded browser that cannot open new window.
    2. Using pop-up blocking software.
    3. Using a browser configured to restrict pop-up window.
    4. Using a browser that does not support JavaScript, or in
    which JavaScript has been disabled.
    5. Using a browser that has no Flash plug-in, or on which the
    flash plug-in has been disabled/removed (Macromedia do not
    provide equivalent Flash plug-ins for all OSs anyway).

    You will, of course, have no way of knowing if the number of people who
    fall into one or more of these categories (but would otherwise like to
    view your site) is significant as you will never hear from them.

    [1] Dreamweaver has no AI so it is unrealistic to expect it to
    *understand* anything.

    Richard.

    Richard Cornford, Sep 1, 2003

  3. kevin

    kevin Guest

    Re: thanks

    thanks richard for the advice:)

    Maybe I should have the feedback form embedded in the swf file or even
    create a simple html form to avoid complications of anyone not having
    1 of the 2

    thanks again

    kevin, Sep 4, 2003