please explain css entry #subnav table table {border-bottom:none;}

Discussion in 'HTML' started by jason@cyberpine.com, Sep 24, 2006.

  1. Guest

    Noob Here.

    What is saying? set the second table of the subnav id?

    #subnav table table {border-bottom:none;}

    I don't see any tables inside the the subnav id

    <asp:SiteMapDataSource runat="server" ID="subnavSitemap"
    StartingNodeOffset="1" StartFromCurrentNode="false"
    ShowStartingNode="false" />
    <asp:Menu runat="server" ID="subMenu" SkinID="subMenu"
    DataSourceID="subnavSitemap" />

    also, whats the difference between

    and
    , Sep 24, 2006

  2. wrote:

    > Noob Here.

    Post the URL, and suddenly you look much less of a clueless newbie.

    > What is saying?

    Who's talking?

    > set the second table of the subnav id?
    > #subnav table table {border-bottom:none;}

    If you're trying to guess the idea of the piece of CSS code, you were lucky.
    But why are you guessing? This ain't no lottery: there is nothing to be won
    by making guesses, as opposite to learning things from tutorials and
    references.

    > I don't see any tables inside the the subnav id

    > <asp:SiteMapDataSource runat="server" ID="subnavSitemap"

    You're quoting an unspecified source that apparently contains ASP
    directives. So it's not an HTML document but a file from which an HTML
    document may be generated by an ASP-enabled server. It may or may not
    generate some tables, among other things.

    > also, whats the difference between

    > and

    The former has an id attribute, whereas the latter has a class attribute.
    The difference has been explained many times in this group and elsewhere;
    it's also explained in any decent tutorial on HTML. Try to find some
    relatively _old_ explanation in the FAQs or Google archive, since they tend
    to get worse: people who really know things get tired of typing or
    copypasting the same explanations over and over again, and then people start
    getting responses from fellow newbies...

    --
    Jukka K. Korpela ("Yucca")
    http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/
    Jukka K. Korpela, Sep 24, 2006

  3. wrote:
    > Noob Here.
    >
    > What is saying? set the second table of the subnav id?
    >
    > #subnav table table {border-bottom:none;}
    >
    > I don't see any tables inside the the subnav id

    > <asp:SiteMapDataSource runat="server" ID="subnavSitemap"
    > StartingNodeOffset="1" StartFromCurrentNode="false"
    > ShowStartingNode="false" />
    > <asp:Menu runat="server" ID="subMenu" SkinID="subMenu"
    > DataSourceID="subnavSitemap" />

    I'll be kind, but Jukka is correct here, very strange that folks that
    use a search engine company to view Usenet don't seem to know how to search!

    For above, who knows, we would need to see the *output* HTML of such
    code so a URL would be required. It would be like saying in PHP:

    print $behindDoorNumber3;

    > also, whats the difference between

    > and

    Among other things, specificity. In an HTML all IDs must be unique so
    with respect to CSS

    #someID can only refer to *one* element whereas
    ..someClass can refer to one or more elements...

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com
    Jonathan N. Little, Sep 24, 2006
  4. richard Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > Noob Here.
    >
    > What is saying? set the second table of the subnav id?
    >
    > #subnav table table {border-bottom:none;}
    >
    > I don't see any tables inside the the subnav id

    Since it is asp, and most likely somewhere there is an output page that uses
    tables, then the coding would apply once the page is formatted into html.
    For example, check out the source code of this page:
    http://safer.fmcsa.dot.gov/query.as...6&original_query_string=153AA GREENHOUSES INC

    I picked that one purely as an example.
    You will see a lot of scripting at the top, then the tables and other html
    are applied.

    As for the differences between and ID and Class, ID can only be used one
    time, whereas a class name can be used as often as desired, afaik.
    #sample could only be declared for use once on that page.
    ..sample might be used more than once on the same page.

    Class might more appropriate if say you had two or more tables and you
    wanted that particular area of the table to look the same throughout the
    page.
    richard, Sep 24, 2006