Please explain what "Empty path has no directory" means with Server.MapPath

Alan Silver

Hello,

I have the following line of code in a script...

litMsg.Text = Server.MapPath("/");

where litMsg is an ASP.Net Literal control. When I try and run this
page, I get the error ...

System.ArgumentException: Empty path has no directory.

Anyone any idea what this means? I have used Server.MapPath many times
before without error, I'm not sure why it suddenly stopped working here.

I'm sure I'm missing something blindingly obvious and would be grateful
if anyone could point it out!! TIA.

Alan Silver

IN case it's of any use to anyone, I found out that the problem was
caused by me having the following two lines in Page_Load...

HttpContext myContext = HttpContext.Current;
myContext.RewritePath("/");

I'm not actually sure *why* I had those lines there, they must have been
from something I was doing before. As soon as I removed them, the
Server.MapPath worked fine.

If anyone has an explanation, I would like to hear it ;-)