Please forgive my ignorance, but I've never worked with ASP.NET before

Brent White

We're trying out Visual Studio 2005 Professional from the Microsoft
website before paying for the unlocked version.

What I am trying to do is build on the simple ASP.NET web service.
HelloWorld is great, and I kind of see how it works.

What I can not comprehend is how to build an actual ASP that will take
an XML input, parse it, send the data to an external website as an
HTTP request, then parse the response, and send it back to the client
(actually another server).

Let's say you have a web method that takes parameters p1, p2, and p3.
It would then send an HTTP request (the external service can't take
XML for some weird reason) with parameters a1, a2, a3, a4 and a5.
When the response comes back, it would get parameters b1, b2 and b3
and return to the client the response with parameters c1, c2, c3 and
c4.

I noticed the web method can take parameters as if it were a VB
procedure, but this is going to be an XML formatted document coming
from a server that is in Java code (can't modify that code, even if I
knew a lick of Java).

Can someone help me? I keep searching the help, but I get a ton of
articles that just happen to have the words in them, rather than
something specific.

Would greatly appreciate it. Also, unless I have to, I would like to
avoid XSLT in order to be able to do this in the Standard Edition.

Guest

[...]

Hi Brent

Look at the following sample
http://samples.gotdotnet.com/quickstart/aspplus/doc/writingservices.aspx

Hope it helps

Juan T. Llibre

Hi, Brent.

Scott Mitchell's 10-article series on Web Services will help you understand
what you need to know in order to develop the web service you want:

Go completely through the 10 articles. There's a lot of sample code in them.
When you're done, you'll be in good shape to write your own web service to fit your needs.

Brent White

Hi, Brent.

Scott Mitchell's 10-article series on Web Services will help you understand
what you need to know in order to develop the web service you want:

Go completely through the 10 articles. There's a lot of sample code in them.
When you're done, you'll be in good shape to write your own web service to fit your needs.

Juan T. Llibre, asp.net MVP
asp.net faq :http://asp.net.do/faq/
foros de asp.net, en español :http://asp.net.do/foros/

Alexi and Juan, thank you. I'll look into these. I think if I make
a structure and pass the parameters using the SOAP interface to set
this up, it should be sufficient. I do like VS 2005, I will say that.