    --

    Website http://www.tbandu.co.uk (TBandU short for Tuberculosis and You)
    Message board http://www.tbandu.co.uk/cgi-bin/teemz/teemz.cgi
    nelly-knowall, Mar 16, 2006

  2. nelly-knowall

    josh Guest

    Font size is way to small in the main area. Go with the default size if
    possible.
    josh, Mar 16, 2006

  3. nelly-knowall

    Neredbojias Guest

    With neither quill nor qualm, nelly-knowall quothed:

    > I decided to set up a website that people looking for information on tb
    > would find easy to navigate and find the information they needed: (In
    > particular not well educated or non English speaking.)
    > The site is still in progress with some links still needed to be added as I
    > search the internet for relevant info.
    >
    > I KNOW the site has a very naive look but that is limited because my hmtl
    > skills are limited and as I learn the site looks better.
    > Believe me it has looked worse than this.
    >
    > I would however be grateful for any tips which may improve my site.
    > Thanks in advance

    Hmm, not too bad. I do agree with Josh: font-size is too small, but at
    least it resizes (in IE et al). It also seems as too much content is
    squeezed into an unnecessarily small space so you may want to consider a
    "roomier" and more fluid layout.

    The relationship between flags and language is tenuous.

    Why not strict 4.01 dtd?

    Tables for layout - ugh. I could perhaps understand one table but...

    Why do you capitalize <HEAD></HEAD> and not <body></body>?

    ....In general, there could be improvement in methodology and detail, as
    well as technique. But I have to go now because teen Kelly is going to
    show her birthmark tonight.

    --
    Neredbojias
    Neredbojias, Mar 16, 2006
  4. nelly-knowall wrote:
    > After being misdiagnosed with serious form of tb and found it extremely
    > difficult but eventually found the info I need to dispute my diagnosis and
    > save myself from serious lung surgery.
    > I decided to set up a website that people looking for information on tb
    > would find easy to navigate and find the information they needed: (In
    > particular not well educated or non English speaking.)
    > The site is still in progress with some links still needed to be added as I
    > search the internet for relevant info.
    >
    > I KNOW the site has a very naive look but that is limited because my hmtl
    > skills are limited and as I learn the site looks better.
    > Believe me it has looked worse than this.
    >
    > I would however be grateful for any tips which may improve my site.
    > Thanks in advance

    Screen displays correctly for me in IE, but requires horizontal
    scrolling in FF 1.0.7 Tables = yuk! Use CSS layout instead.

    Other than that, I agree with the previous comments about font size.

    I would get rid of the scrolling banner. The information there is not
    that important that it needs to continuously catch your eye, and becomes
    distracting after a while. Same goes for the animated gif.

    Hope this helps.
    TreatmentPlant, Mar 16, 2006
  5. nelly-knowall

    dorayme Guest

    In article <>,
    Neredbojias <> wrote:

    > The relationship between flags and language is tenuous.

    You mean like when one clicks on the Italian flag, the site is
    translated into Italian?

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Mar 16, 2006
  6. nelly-knowall

    Mark Parnell Guest

    Deciding to do something for the good of humanity, dorayme
    <> declared in alt.html:

    > You mean like when one clicks on the Italian flag, the site is
    > translated into Italian?

    Or the American flag and it's translated into English? Or the Brazilian
    flag and it's translated into Portuguese? :)

    --
    Mark Parnell

    Now implementing http://blinkynet.net/comp/uip5.html
    Mark Parnell, Mar 16, 2006
  7. nelly-knowall

    dorayme Guest

    In article <dvaj77$kdt$>,
    "nelly-knowall" <> wrote:

    > I KNOW the site has a very naive look

    How do you know this? It is not so obviously "naive". It looks
    quite knowing and tricky actually. To be frank, I would prefer
    naiver, less flashy and 3 columny (2 would be easier for everyone
    on this site, including yourself)

    > I would however be grateful for any tips which may improve my site.
    > Thanks in advance

    I suggest the following for improvement.

    Top priority is to get rid of the moving banner and flashing
    looping gif, these are really quite irritating. This is a serious
    subject and distracting enough without these provocations.

    Do these things re translation stuff:

    Either

    (1) Lose all the language translation stuff. Forget about it.
    Leave it to users to figure. English is the main language and
    most other people will know how to translate via web services or
    their inbuilt facilities....

    (2) Just put one simple link to point folk to a web translation
    service and leave it at that.

    (3) Have a link to hive off the translation stuff you have to a
    separate page of yours (if you must).

    This then clears the main page(s) of all the flags and some links
    to give you more room. The page will then load faster (it is a
    bit slow on dialup). You can then make the fonts a normal size -
    there are people with less than optimal eyesight as well as with
    lungs that are worrisome!

    On the home page, in the main content, there is some grace in the
    padding, fine. But in the links like "transmission, you jam up
    the subheadings against the left border of the content and indent
    the paras. I'd say to not indent, and give more padding (as on
    home page). You will get more in and it will look more graceful.

    There is all sorts of trouble but where to stop? (When I click on
    left link of Tranmission of TB on home page, it goes fine. But
    when there, the same link is broken.) You need to check all your
    links, the paths.

    Simplify everything and you will sort things better. Ask all the
    time, what are the most important things for folk to know about
    this condition and just concentrate on this. Content! Lose
    everything else. Serbo-Croat, Quiz for every occasion, Hypocratic
    oath indeed! Give the users a real break and cut all this stuff
    out!

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Mar 16, 2006
  8. On Fri, 17 Mar 2006, Mark Parnell wrote:

    > Or the American flag and it's translated into English? Or the
    > Brazilian flag and it's translated into Portuguese? :)

    Even better, tell me what language would be signified by the Indian
    flag?
    Alan J. Flavell, Mar 16, 2006
  9. nelly-knowall

    Mark Parnell Guest

    Deciding to do something for the good of humanity, "Alan J. Flavell"
    <> declared in alt.html:

    > Even better, tell me what language would be signified by the Indian
    > flag?

    <g>

    Mark Parnell, Mar 16, 2006
  10. nelly-knowall

    Neredbojias Guest

    With neither quill nor qualm, dorayme quothed:

    > In article <>,
    > Neredbojias <> wrote:
    >
    > > The relationship between flags and language is tenuous.

    > You mean like when one clicks on the Italian flag, the site is
    > translated into Italian?

    I believe it was Jukka Korpela who pointed out the pitfalls of using
    flags for language-selection, and I quite agree.

    --
    Neredbojias
    Neredbojias, Mar 16, 2006
  11. nelly-knowall

    dorayme Guest

    In article
    <>,
    "Alan J. Flavell" <> wrote:

    > On Fri, 17 Mar 2006, Mark Parnell wrote:
    >
    > > Or the American flag and it's translated into English? Or the
    > > Brazilian flag and it's translated into Portuguese? :)

    > Even better, tell me what language would be signified by the Indian
    > flag?

    Indian of course... what else?

    :)

    (things are looking up eh? ....)

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Mar 16, 2006
  12. nelly-knowall

    dorayme Guest

    In article <>,
    Neredbojias <> wrote:

    > > > The relationship between flags and language is tenuous.

    > > You mean like when one clicks on the Italian flag, the site is
    > > translated into Italian?

    > I believe it was Jukka Korpela who pointed out the pitfalls of using
    > flags for language-selection, and I quite agree.

    Yes, yes... I read his stuff, and was nodding my head too...

    This particular OP only had a few flags. Were they on the whole
    misleading or unhelpful in respect to correspondence? ie. if one
    wanted to click a flag on her site, would anyone get into trouble
    re getting the right language? I have not investigated it, seeing
    nothing untoward in this respect and confining myself to pulling
    your chain Boji (something that cheers me up on a regular basis)

    I take it that you, the cheering Mr. Flavell and Mr. Parnell
    have. And have concluded that the Korpela points (good as they
    are in general) particularly apply to this site.

    You will have seen by now that I hated the flags and all that
    Luigi like stuff about translation - for what it is worth. I had
    quite other misgivings about these features...

    I want that you should all relax, have a nice day and reflect on
    the beauty of freedom both in general and in particular.

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Mar 17, 2006
  13. nelly-knowall

    Jose Guest

    > This particular OP only had a few flags. Were they on the whole
    > misleading or unhelpful in respect to correspondence?

    It requires the viewer to recognize the flags. At the very least the
    flag of countries related to his language, which probably isn't hard in
    most cases. But text reigns supreme, IMHO.

    Jose
    --
    Nothing takes longer than a shortcut.
    Jose, Mar 17, 2006
  14. nelly-knowall

    dorayme Guest

    In article <bJqSf.6622$%>,
    Jose <> wrote:

    > > This particular OP only had a few flags. Were they on the whole
    > > misleading or unhelpful in respect to correspondence?

    > It requires the viewer to recognize the flags. At the very least the
    > flag of countries related to his language, which probably isn't hard in
    > most cases. But text reigns supreme, IMHO.
    >
    > Jose

    OP did have text as well, if I recall, down right side.. The
    point is that to tell her that the relationship between flags and
    language is "tenuous" (as was the response I gently mocked) and
    leave it at that, might greatly puzzle her. She will not be so
    puzzled now and if she is, then let me recommend here to go to
    Google, bring up Google Groups, enter "alt.html", enter "flags
    languages korpela", into the search this group and take it from
    there. (Where is she, btw? Not another hit and run I hope?)

    Jose, just a small point, do not confuse the ability of people to
    pair flags and languages in general. Few Americans, for example,
    would be able to recognise the Australian flag[1], few
    Australians, the Nigerian one, but most people have little
    trouble with their own flags.

    If you do not understand this latter, Boji, let me help with an
    analogy: a lottery winner would have no trouble collecting his
    winnings, the average ticket holder would fail miserably nearly
    every time. (See, Travis, how helpful analogies can be?)

    --------------------------------------
    1. And so possibly miss out on coming across beaut words like
    dinkum, cobber, barbie, bastard (as endearment) etc

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Mar 17, 2006
  15. nelly-knowall

    Jose Guest

    > Jose, just a small point, do not confuse the ability of people to
    > pair flags and languages in general. Few Americans, for example,
    > would be able to recognise the Australian flag[1], few
    > Australians, the Nigerian one, but most people have little
    > trouble with their own flags.

    True (and not something I missed). But why would the Austrailian flag
    not be as good an icon for English as the American one? I believe
    that's a point you've made too.

    Jose
    --
    Nothing takes longer than a shortcut.