Please help, CSS aligning, image thumbnail index ...

Discussion in 'HTML' started by TheStonge, May 23, 2004.

  1. TheStonge

    TheStonge Guest

    this page explains what I want, and what I have done:
    http://www.kevinstonge.com/alignment.htm

    Please, if it's not too much trouble, forward responses to my email so I'm
    sure not to miss them:

    please TRY your solutions before you suggest them to me; I've been through
    hundreds of possible fixes, mostly from people on IRC, but also some nice
    online tutorials on the subject.

    Thank you,

    -TheStonge-
     
    TheStonge, May 23, 2004
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. TheStonge

    Els Guest

    TheStonge wrote:

    > this page explains what I want, and what I have done:
    > http://www.kevinstonge.com/alignment.htm
    >
    > Please, if it's not too much trouble, forward responses to my email so I'm
    > sure not to miss them:
    >
    > please TRY your solutions before you suggest them to me;


    Is this tried enough for you? ;-)
    If they are all the same width, (by image, not by
    css-defined), this might work:
    http://locusmeus.com/test/thumbswithcaptionscentered.html
    Well, it works with different widths also, as you can see,
    but in IE it looks a lot nicer than in Netscape.
    NS doesn't obey the width of inline elements.
    (which is correct, according to the specs
    http://www.w3.org/TR/2004/CR-CSS21-20040225/visudet.html#q4
    Paragraph 10.3.1.)

    --
    Els
    http://locusmeus.com/
    Sonhos vem. Sonhos vão. O resto é imperfeito.
    - Renato Russo -
     
    Els, May 23, 2004
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. TheStonge

    TheStonge Guest

    > http://locusmeus.com/test/thumbswithcaptionscentered.html

    that's pretty amazing, works well in firefox and IE.. so I'm relatively
    happy with it.. it's the best solution I've seen yet. Of course, the only
    problem is how horribly it abuses the <table> element... but; I'm going to
    consider letting it slide in this case.

    thanks very much!! I've spent soo much time on this... it's nice to finally
    have a relevant suggestion!

    -TheStonge-
     
    TheStonge, May 23, 2004
    #3
  4. TheStonge

    brucie Guest

    brucie, May 24, 2004
    #4
  5. TheStonge

    Duende Guest

    Duende, May 24, 2004
    #5
  6. TheStonge wrote:
    > this page explains what I want, and what I have done:
    > http://www.kevinstonge.com/alignment.htm
    >


    http://www.student.oulu.fi/~laurirai/www/css/gallery/

    Works on IE5.5 (uses bug to fight bug...)
    Opera 6 and 7 and many others

    Does not work on gecko > 1.4 IIRC. To get it look nice on them, use meta
    element to give float:left for it, or find some new bug to hide stuff
    from mozilla.

    --
    Lauri Raittila <http://www.iki.fi/lr> <http://www.iki.fi/zwak/fonts>
    I'm looking for work | Etsin työtä
     
    Lauri Raittila, May 24, 2004
    #6
  7. Toby A Inkster, May 24, 2004
    #7
  8. TheStonge

    Els Guest

    Toby A Inkster wrote:

    > Els wrote:
    >
    >>http://locusmeus.com/test/thumbswithcaptionscentered.html

    >
    > This should improve things in Opera:
    >
    > html>body table { display:inline-table; }


    Cool, thanks!
    I'll try and remember to keep checking in Opera as well.

    > It will hopefully also have some effect in Netscape/Mozilla when they
    > catch up.


    You mean like the widths will stay as defined?
    That would be neat :)

    --
    Els
    http://locusmeus.com/
    Sonhos vem. Sonhos vão. O resto é imperfeito.
    - Renato Russo -
     
    Els, May 24, 2004
    #8
  9. Els wrote:

    > Toby A Inkster wrote:
    >
    >> Els wrote:
    >>
    >>>http://locusmeus.com/test/thumbswithcaptionscentered.html

    >>
    >> It will hopefully also have some effect in Netscape/Mozilla when they
    >> catch up.

    >
    > You mean like the widths will stay as defined?
    > That would be neat :)


    No, that would be a regression. Widths *should* be ignored on true inline
    items, and indeed are in Gecko and Presto.

    Hopefully though Gecko will implement 'display:inline-table' and
    'display:inline-block' that are in CSS 2.1 and are already supported in
    Presto.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
    Contact Me - http://www.goddamn.co.uk/tobyink/?page=132
     
    Toby A Inkster, May 24, 2004
    #9
  10. Toby A Inkster wrote:
    > Els wrote:
    >
    >
    >>Toby A Inkster wrote:
    >>
    >>
    >>>Els wrote:
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>>http://locusmeus.com/test/thumbswithcaptionscentered.html
    >>>
    >>>It will hopefully also have some effect in Netscape/Mozilla when they
    >>>catch up.

    >>
    >>You mean like the widths will stay as defined?
    >>That would be neat :)

    >
    >
    > No, that would be a regression. Widths *should* be ignored on true inline
    > items, and indeed are in Gecko and Presto.
    >
    > Hopefully though Gecko will implement 'display:inline-table' and
    > 'display:inline-block' that are in CSS 2.1 and are already supported in
    > Presto.


    That's interesting.
    --
    Edwin van der Vaart
    http://www.semi-conductor.nl/ Links to Semiconductors sites
    http://www.evandervaart.nl/ Under construction
     
    Edwin van der Vaart, May 24, 2004
    #10
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. David Lozzi
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    505
    john smith
    Feb 1, 2006
  2. Sebastian Fey

    big CSS-trouble! aligning in listitem!

    Sebastian Fey, Jul 17, 2003, in forum: HTML
    Replies:
    6
    Views:
    406
    Chris Harris
    Jul 17, 2003
  3. KK
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    646
    Big Brian
    Oct 14, 2003
  4. dodgeyb
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    619
    George Ter-Saakov
    Dec 14, 2007
  5. Tomasz Chmielewski

    sorting index-15, index-9, index-110 "the human way"?

    Tomasz Chmielewski, Mar 4, 2008, in forum: Perl Misc
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    321
    Tomasz Chmielewski
    Mar 4, 2008
Loading...

Share This Page