Please Help!!Daughter needs help with java code

slippymississippi

Since this can preserve order if needed, it could be used for
permutations as well as combinations.

Oops. this would result in duplicate combinations, so it could *only*
be used for running the permutations.

Oliver Wong

Permutations = N*k/8 bytes of space minimum

I presume by "minimum" you mean, "just to write down the solution",
since you didn't seem to do any analysis of temporary scratch-work space.

In the case where k = N (i.e. you want a permutation for ALL objects in
the set) this becomes (N^2)/8, but I showed in a previous post how you could
write down the solution in N*log2(N) bits, which is smaller than (N^2)/8 for
large values of N.

- Oliver

Oliver Wong

I think he's got a different definition for the word "combination" than
the mathematic definition.

I believe Roedy is using the same definition that I have in mind for
this thread.

- Oliver