Please help. Frames problem!!

bubba

Hi all,

Right, i'm a bit of a newbie to all this webpage authouring stuff so please
go easy on me if I appear a little stupid :)

I currently have a webpage for my counter strike clan which is split into 2
frames, top (for navigation) and bottom (for content). When i click the
members button, the bottom page opens into a new frames page split into left
(to choose a member) and right (for the actual profiles). However, instead
of the profiles opening in the right hand frame and leaving the left hand
frame intact, they're opening in the whole bottom part of the page, closing
the left/right frames. I need to know if there's an easy way to preserve
that left/right framework when the profiles open.

Many thanks
Bubba

Hywel

Hi all,

Right, i'm a bit of a newbie to all this webpage authouring stuff so please
go easy on me if I appear a little stupid :)

I currently have a webpage for my counter strike clan which is split into 2
frames, top (for navigation) and bottom (for content). When i click the
members button, the bottom page opens into a new frames page split into left
(to choose a member) and right (for the actual profiles). However, instead
of the profiles opening in the right hand frame and leaving the left hand
frame intact, they're opening in the whole bottom part of the page, closing
the left/right frames. I need to know if there's an easy way to preserve
that left/right framework when the profiles open.

Frames. Bad idea. Make sure you're using the correct values for the
"target" attributes on the links.

Psyonicdreams

Hywel said:
Frames. Bad idea.

Yep, I have finally had the guts to change mine to purely tables,
I loved the way my frames worked, but they were a PITA
when they did not! Plus search engines either seem to just hate
the sites or send people to visit the wrong parts of the frames
and people get stuck!
Make sure you're using the correct values for the
"target" attributes on the links.

I agree, but is there any chance you can post a link to the site,
so we can see how you did it. It probably is something really
simple like one wrong value, but until we see it its hard to tell.

Dean
www.aspexdesign.co.uk

Hywel

Yep, I have finally had the guts to change mine to purely tables,

CSS would be better for yours - there's no tabular data, is there. You
ought to click that "XHTML" icon, too.

Psyonicdreams

Hywel said:
CSS would be better for yours - there's no tabular data, is there.

I know, I just like tables. Its all hand coded and when I learnt
how to do that CSS was just starting to take off and I just kind
of got stuck on using tables, its just my personal site, so as long
as it works and does not crash too many browsers it will do for
me. For the first 4 years the site was frames based, so things are
at least getting more up to date 8o)
You ought to click that "XHTML" icon, too.

Doh! I added that free submit button to the bottom of the page
yesterday and just added the code they supplied and it had an
error in it, but I only had to add 2 characters to make it valid
XMHTL again, the rest of the site was fine. Thanks for pointing
it out though.

bubba

Hi,

Thanks for the responses guys. The site is at www.assassins-inc.tk I sort
of cheated my way round the prob by creating a new frameset for each member,
with the menu in the left for each. not perfect, but it does :)

Bubba