Please Help ----------Free Downloadable Ebooks for C & C++ Language needed

Discussion in 'C Programming' started by abhay, Nov 14, 2006.

  1. abhay

    abhay Guest

    hi friends,
    i am not new to C language but also i am not an expert at it.
    i want some free downloadable links for ebooks on C-language.if anybody
    has ebook in pdf format
    of C-complete reference please provide me.i would be very grateful.
    i want to learn more about data structures in C , file operations ,
    hardware interaction through C.

    please help me .

    also i need some good e-books on C++.i am a beginner to it

    thank you
     
    abhay, Nov 14, 2006
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. abhay

    santosh Guest

    abhay wrote:
    > hi friends,
    > i am not new to C language but also i am not an expert at it.
    > i want some free downloadable links for ebooks on C-language.if anybody
    > has ebook in pdf format
    > of C-complete reference please provide me.i would be very grateful.
    > i want to learn more about data structures in C , file operations ,
    > hardware interaction through C.
    >
    > please help me .
    >
    > also i need some good e-books on C++.i am a beginner to it


    Why don't you try libraries and used book stores, (both real and
    online), instead of engaging in copyright infringement.

    Search via Google for 'n1124.pdf' and 'CBook'. Both are free for
    downloading and/or using. The former is the latest draft version of the
    ISO C standard, while the latter is a reasonably good introduction to
    ANSI C. Beyond that, regular practise in programming and perusal of,
    and participation in, this group are both excellent ways to develop
    your C skills.

    Finally, if you can at all offered it, buy a copy of 'The C Programming
    Language' Second Edition by Kernighan and Ritchie.
     
    santosh, Nov 14, 2006
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. abhay

    abhay Guest

    hi,
    I would be grateful if u provide me some direct links or books in pdf
    format
    this is because most of the links that i am trying are not giving me
    any fruitful results.
    thank you
     
    abhay, Nov 15, 2006
    #3
  4. abhay

    jacob navia Guest

    Re: Please Help ----------Free Downloadable Ebooks for C & C++ Languageneeded

    abhay wrote:
    > hi friends,
    > i am not new to C language but also i am not an expert at it.
    > i want some free downloadable links for ebooks on C-language.if anybody
    > has ebook in pdf format
    > of C-complete reference please provide me.i would be very grateful.
    > i want to learn more about data structures in C , file operations ,
    > hardware interaction through C.
    >
    > please help me .
    >
    > also i need some good e-books on C++.i am a beginner to it
    >
    > thank you
    >


    http://www.cs.virginia.edu/~lcc-win32

    Download the tutorial.pdf.

    It has a complete description of C, and you can download the associated
    compiler that goes with the book at the same address.

    Enjoy!

    jacob
     
    jacob navia, Nov 15, 2006
    #4
  5. jacob navia said:

    <snip>

    > Download the tutorial.pdf.


    Have you yet fixed the bugs in that tutorial that were pointed out last time
    you pushed it?

    --
    Richard Heathfield
    "Usenet is a strange place" - dmr 29/7/1999
    http://www.cpax.org.uk
    email: normal service will be restored as soon as possible. Please do not
    adjust your email clients.
     
    Richard Heathfield, Nov 15, 2006
    #5
  6. abhay

    CBFalconer Guest

    Re: Please Help ----------Free Downloadable Ebooks for C & C++ Languageneeded

    abhay wrote:
    >
    > I would be grateful if u provide me some direct links or books in
    > pdf format this is because most of the links that i am trying are
    > not giving me any fruitful results.


    U has never posted to this newsgroup.

    --
    Chuck F (cbfalconer at maineline dot net)
    Available for consulting/temporary embedded and systems.
    <http://cbfalconer.home.att.net>
     
    CBFalconer, Nov 15, 2006
    #6
  7. CBFalconer said:

    > abhay wrote:
    >>
    >> I would be grateful if u provide me some direct links or books in
    >> pdf format this is because most of the links that i am trying are
    >> not giving me any fruitful results.

    >
    > U has never posted to this newsgroup.


    A number of articles have been posted to comp.lang.c by people who boast a
    single letter U somewhere in their name. The best candidate I found was
    someone rejoicing in the name of U.P., who posted here in March 1998.

    Unfortunately, the Google Groups archive has mangled his email address, so
    contacting him may prove problematical.

    --
    Richard Heathfield
    "Usenet is a strange place" - dmr 29/7/1999
    http://www.cpax.org.uk
    email: normal service will be restored as soon as possible. Please do not
    adjust your email clients.
     
    Richard Heathfield, Nov 15, 2006
    #7
  8. abhay

    jacob navia Guest

    Re: Please Help ----------Free Downloadable Ebooks for C & C++ Languageneeded

    Richard Heathfield wrote:
    > jacob navia said:
    >
    > <snip>
    >
    >>Download the tutorial.pdf.

    >
    >
    > Have you yet fixed the bugs in that tutorial that were pointed out last time
    > you pushed it?
    >


    Yes, I hope so.
     
    jacob navia, Nov 15, 2006
    #8
  9. jacob navia said:

    > Richard Heathfield wrote:
    >> jacob navia said:
    >>
    >> <snip>
    >>
    >>>Download the tutorial.pdf.

    >>
    >>
    >> Have you yet fixed the bugs in that tutorial that were pointed out last
    >> time you pushed it?
    >>

    >
    > Yes, I hope so.


    Upthread, you said:

    "Download the tutorial.pdf. It has a complete description of C"

    The tutorial says:

    "this is not a full-fledged introduction to all of C." and "there isn't here
    a description of all the features of the language".

    I spot a contradiction, don't you?

    Anyway, here are the next half-dozen bugs for you. But you might find it
    easier to find someone who knows C, and get them to go through the whole
    thing, fixing all the bugs in one fell swoop.


    Minor nit: on page 16, strictly speaking the argument to your printf call is
    the result of evaluating "Hello\n" - and that result is a pointer, not a
    string.

    Medium nit: merely saying that the return value from main is optional is to
    miss an opportunity to explain why main returns a value, and what that
    value is used for.

    Medium nit: For int fn(int a) on page 18, you claim that a is an argument.
    It isn't. It's a parameter. You continually confuse the two in your
    tutorial.

    Major nit: you claim on page 19 that, when you see a statement like
    printf("Hello\n"); the address of the first element is passed to printf
    (which is true), but you then say that "the array can be modified by the
    function you are calling". But the printf function takes const char * as
    its first parameter. It cannot modify the array whose first element's
    address is passed, except by violent means, such as casting away the
    constness.

    Medium nit: compilers exist which pre-date C99 and for which their
    implementors, at the time of release, correctly claimed conformance to ANSI
    C. On page 22, you give a list of headers which *all* "ANSI compliant" C
    compilers provide. So a reader, learning C from your tutorial but using an
    early Borland or Microsoft compiler, is going to be very confused by your
    list. They will also be thrown by your occasional for(int i = ...) code.

    Major nit: On page 24, "char *argv[] This is an array..." It isn't. It's a
    pointer.



    --
    Richard Heathfield
    "Usenet is a strange place" - dmr 29/7/1999
    http://www.cpax.org.uk
    email: normal service will be restored as soon as possible. Please do not
    adjust your email clients.
     
    Richard Heathfield, Nov 15, 2006
    #9
  10. abhay

    jacob navia Guest

    Re: Please Help ----------Free Downloadable Ebooks for C & C++ Languageneeded

    Richard Heathfield wrote:
    > jacob navia said:
    >
    >
    >>Richard Heathfield wrote:
    >>
    >>>jacob navia said:
    >>>
    >>><snip>
    >>>
    >>>>Download the tutorial.pdf.
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>Have you yet fixed the bugs in that tutorial that were pointed out last
    >>>time you pushed it?
    >>>

    >>
    >>Yes, I hope so.

    >
    >
    > Upthread, you said:
    >
    > "Download the tutorial.pdf. It has a complete description of C"
    >
    > The tutorial says:
    >
    > "this is not a full-fledged introduction to all of C." and "there isn't here
    > a description of all the features of the language".
    >
    > I spot a contradiction, don't you?


    It could be a contradiction, but actually after writing that sentence
    (when I started the tutorial project) I went on to a complete
    description of every feature. This started with the big tables where I
    describe ALL operators, syntax quircks, preprocessor stuff, etc.

    A fair description would be a "almost complete description"
    >
    > Anyway, here are the next half-dozen bugs for you. But you might find it
    > easier to find someone who knows C, and get them to go through the whole
    > thing, fixing all the bugs in one fell swoop.
    >
    >
    > Minor nit: on page 16, strictly speaking the argument to your printf call is
    > the result of evaluating "Hello\n" - and that result is a pointer, not a
    > string.
    >


    It is a pointer to a string. OK.

    > Medium nit: merely saying that the return value from main is optional is to
    > miss an opportunity to explain why main returns a value, and what that
    > value is used for.
    >


    True, I will add that.

    > Medium nit: For int fn(int a) on page 18, you claim that a is an argument.
    > It isn't. It's a parameter. You continually confuse the two in your
    > tutorial.
    >


    Parameter is from the function's point of view, argument is from the
    calling function's point of view... Is that very important?


    > Major nit: you claim on page 19 that, when you see a statement like
    > printf("Hello\n"); the address of the first element is passed to printf
    > (which is true), but you then say that "the array can be modified by the
    > function you are calling". But the printf function takes const char * as
    > its first parameter. It cannot modify the array whose first element's
    > address is passed, except by violent means, such as casting away the
    > constness.
    >


    Yes in the case of printf you are right. I will use another example.


    > Medium nit: compilers exist which pre-date C99 and for which their
    > implementors, at the time of release, correctly claimed conformance to ANSI
    > C. On page 22, you give a list of headers which *all* "ANSI compliant" C
    > compilers provide. So a reader, learning C from your tutorial but using an
    > early Borland or Microsoft compiler, is going to be very confused by your
    > list. They will also be thrown by your occasional for(int i = ...) code.
    >


    Here we disagree. I mean as ANSI compliant compilers that conform to the
    current ANSI standard for the C language: C99.

    > Major nit: On page 24, "char *argv[] This is an array..." It isn't. It's a
    > pointer.
    >


    It is a pointer to an array of pointers.

    Normally the arguments are accessed using array notation (argv[2]). But
    eternal confusion in C between pointers and arrays will be difficult
    to explain. See our other discussion yesterday about array/pointers
     
    jacob navia, Nov 15, 2006
    #10
  11. abhay

    jacob navia Guest

    Re: Please Help ----------Free Downloadable Ebooks for C & C++ Languageneeded

    Richard Heathfield wrote:
    > Major nit: On page 24, "char *argv[] This is an array..." It isn't. It's a
    > pointer.


    Excuse me but the C standard, 5.1.2.2.1 Program startup says:

    < begin quote >
    The parameters argc and argv and the strings pointed to by the argv
    array shall be modifiable by the program...
    < end quote>


    Even the people writing the standard make the same confusion...

    They speak about the "argv array"...

    jacob
     
    jacob navia, Nov 15, 2006
    #11
  12. jacob navia said:

    > Richard Heathfield wrote:


    <snip>

    >> Medium nit: For int fn(int a) on page 18, you claim that a is an
    >> argument. It isn't. It's a parameter. You continually confuse the two in
    >> your tutorial.
    >>

    >
    > Parameter is from the function's point of view, argument is from the
    > calling function's point of view... Is that very important?


    Yes, the distinction matters, because it makes pass-by-value easier to
    understand. The important thing to explain is that an argument is an
    *expression*; the expression is *evaluated*, and that *value* is given to
    the function as a parameter. If this is made clear to the capable student,
    he will quickly and truly understand pass-by-value.

    <snip>

    >> Medium nit: compilers exist which pre-date C99 and for which their
    >> implementors, at the time of release, correctly claimed conformance to
    >> ANSI C. On page 22, you give a list of headers which *all* "ANSI
    >> compliant" C compilers provide. So a reader, learning C from your
    >> tutorial but using an early Borland or Microsoft compiler, is going to be
    >> very confused by your list. They will also be thrown by your occasional
    >> for(int i = ...) code.
    >>

    >
    > Here we disagree. I mean as ANSI compliant compilers that conform to the
    > current ANSI standard for the C language: C99.


    I accept that, but since you haven't explained this in the tutorial, the
    potential for confusion remains.

    >> Major nit: On page 24, "char *argv[] This is an array..." It isn't. It's
    >> a pointer.
    >>

    >
    > It is a pointer to an array of pointers.


    No, it's a pointer to the first element in an array of pointers.

    > Normally the arguments are accessed using array notation (argv[2]). But
    > eternal confusion in C between pointers and arrays will be difficult
    > to explain.


    If there is eternal confusion, it is only because of poor explanations which
    confuse the two concepts, which have significant points of departure from
    each other. It's no harder to explain the difference between pointers and
    arrays than it is to explain the difference between a house number and a
    row of houses.

    > See our other discussion yesterday about array/pointers


    I have not forgotten it.

    --
    Richard Heathfield
    "Usenet is a strange place" - dmr 29/7/1999
    http://www.cpax.org.uk
    email: normal service will be restored as soon as possible. Please do not
    adjust your email clients.
     
    Richard Heathfield, Nov 15, 2006
    #12
  13. 5.1.2.2.1 argv misdescription [was Re: Please Help ----------Free Downloadable Ebooks for C & C++ Language needed]

    [Cross-posted to comp.std.c, followups set to comp.std.c]

    jacob navia said:

    > Richard Heathfield wrote:
    >> Major nit: On page 24, "char *argv[] This is an array..." It isn't. It's
    >> a pointer.

    >
    > Excuse me but the C standard, 5.1.2.2.1 Program startup says:
    >
    > < begin quote >
    > The parameters argc and argv and the strings pointed to by the argv
    > array shall be modifiable by the program...
    > < end quote>


    Is this the subject of a DR yet? If not, how does one go about raising one?

    --
    Richard Heathfield
    "Usenet is a strange place" - dmr 29/7/1999
    http://www.cpax.org.uk
    email: normal service will be restored as soon as possible. Please do not
    adjust your email clients.
     
    Richard Heathfield, Nov 15, 2006
    #13
  14. Re: Please Help ----------Free Downloadable Ebooks for C & C++Language needed

    jacob navia <> writes:
    > Richard Heathfield wrote:

    [...]
    >> Medium nit: For int fn(int a) on page 18, you claim that a is an
    >> argument. It isn't. It's a parameter. You continually confuse the
    >> two in your tutorial.
    >>

    >
    > Parameter is from the function's point of view, argument is from the
    > calling function's point of view... Is that very important?


    Yes.

    [...]

    >> Medium nit: compilers exist which pre-date C99 and for which their
    >> implementors, at the time of release, correctly claimed conformance
    >> to ANSI C. On page 22, you give a list of headers which *all* "ANSI
    >> compliant" C compilers provide. So a reader, learning C from your
    >> tutorial but using an early Borland or Microsoft compiler, is going
    >> to be very confused by your list. They will also be thrown by your
    >> occasional for(int i = ...) code.

    >
    > Here we disagree. I mean as ANSI compliant compilers that conform to the
    > current ANSI standard for the C language: C99.


    The older C90 standard is still significant; you should at least
    acknowledge that. (I haven't read your tutorial, so I don't know to
    what extent you already do so.)

    But why do you insist on referring to it as the ANSI standard rather
    than the ISO standard? Both the C90 and C99 standards were published
    by ISO, and *then* accepted by ANSI. ANSI shouldn't be particularly
    relevant unless you're specifically targeting an American audience,
    and probably not even then.

    >> Major nit: On page 24, "char *argv[] This is an array..." It
    >> isn't. It's a pointer.
    >>

    >
    > It is a pointer to an array of pointers.
    >
    > Normally the arguments are accessed using array notation
    > (argv[2]). But eternal confusion in C between pointers and arrays will
    > be difficult
    > to explain. See our other discussion yesterday about array/pointers


    No, it's really not that difficult to explain, as long as you keep
    firmly in mind that arrays are not pointers and pointers are not
    arrays. See, for example, section 6 of the comp.lang.c FAQ. Yes,
    there are features of the language that can blur the distinction if
    you're not careful -- so be careful.

    --
    Keith Thompson (The_Other_Keith) <http://www.ghoti.net/~kst>
    San Diego Supercomputer Center <*> <http://users.sdsc.edu/~kst>
    We must do something. This is something. Therefore, we must do this.
     
    Keith Thompson, Nov 15, 2006
    #14
  15. abhay

    pete Guest

    Re: Please Help ----------Free Downloadable Ebooks for C & C++ Languageneeded

    jacob navia wrote:
    >
    > Richard Heathfield wrote:


    > > Medium nit: For int fn(int a) on page 18,
    > > you claim that a is an argument.
    > > It isn't. It's a parameter. You continually confuse the two in your
    > > tutorial.
    > >

    >
    > Parameter is from the function's point of view, argument is from the
    > calling function's point of view... Is that very important?


    Parameters are objects.

    --
    pete
     
    pete, Nov 15, 2006
    #15
  16. abhay

    abhay Guest

    I am still not getting any useful free downloadable links for C
    Language Ebook.
    Please help
     
    abhay, Nov 17, 2006
    #16
  17. abhay

    santosh Guest

    abhay wrote:
    > I am still not getting any useful free downloadable links for C
    > Language Ebook.
    > Please help


    And you won't get it in this group. Look elsewhere.
     
    santosh, Nov 17, 2006
    #17
  18. abhay

    Nelu Guest

    Re: Please Help ----------Free Downloadable Ebooks for C & C++ Languageneeded

    abhay wrote:
    > I am still not getting any useful free downloadable links for C
    > Language Ebook.
    > Please help
    >


    The book you must have:
    http://www.amazon.com/C-Programming...=pd_bbs_1/002-6474813-4209651?ie=UTF8&s=books
    If I understand English correctly, the content at that link is
    freely download-able, the problem is that you need to buy the book.

    If you really need to download an e-Book about C, try this:
    http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&ct=r...0P6LxulXzkxAe9DI=&sig2=JvSjISpMNPUaC0o0UYD77A

    You should buy K&R 2 (the first link). It's worth every penny
    (cent?, I actually live in the US). I'm serious. Also, if you
    want to buy good books on C to learn from you should ask for
    that, I don't think people around here will give you links to
    sites for illegal downloads.

    --
    Ioan - Ciprian Tandau
    tandau _at_ freeshell _dot_ org (hope it's not too late)
    (... and that it still works...)
     
    Nelu, Nov 17, 2006
    #18
  19. abhay

    CBFalconer Guest

    Re: Please Help ----------Free Downloadable Ebooks for C & C++ Languageneeded

    abhay wrote:
    >
    > I am still not getting any useful free downloadable links for C
    > Language Ebook.


    That may be partly because of your lack of quoting. Another
    possibility is that you are being ignored because of posting from
    that execresence of a usenet interface named google.

    However I don't believe that Jacobs offering is that bad. Richards
    criticisms were relatively minor. The C faq is another
    possibility. See below.

    --
    Some useful references about C:
    <http://www.ungerhu.com/jxh/clc.welcome.txt>
    <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/C-faq/top.html>
    <http://benpfaff.org/writings/clc/off-topic.html>
    <http://anubis.dkuug.dk/jtc1/sc22/wg14/www/docs/n869/> (C99)
    <http://www.dinkumware.com/refxc.html> (C-library}
    <http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/> (GNU docs)
    <http://clc-wiki.net> (C-info)
     
    CBFalconer, Nov 17, 2006
    #19
  20. Re: Please Help ----------Free Downloadable Ebooks for C & C++Language needed

    CBFalconer <> writes:
    > abhay wrote:
    >> I am still not getting any useful free downloadable links for C
    >> Language Ebook.

    >
    > That may be partly because of your lack of quoting. Another
    > possibility is that you are being ignored because of posting from
    > that execresence of a usenet interface named google.


    Or because people think he's looking for pirated copies of published
    books. I don't know whether he is or not.

    --
    Keith Thompson (The_Other_Keith) <http://www.ghoti.net/~kst>
    San Diego Supercomputer Center <*> <http://users.sdsc.edu/~kst>
    We must do something. This is something. Therefore, we must do this.
     
    Keith Thompson, Nov 17, 2006
    #20
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. a
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    3,057
    Ajeetha Kumari
    Jul 15, 2003
  2. A.J

    free ebooks

    A.J, May 24, 2005, in forum: ASP .Net
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    548
  3. Free Java Ebooks

    , Apr 5, 2006, in forum: Java
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    483
  4. Free Java ebooks

    , Apr 8, 2006, in forum: Java
    Replies:
    8
    Views:
    537
    Alex Hunsley
    Apr 10, 2006
  5. sloan
    Replies:
    16
    Views:
    871
    Andrus
    Feb 15, 2008
Loading...

Share This Page