PLEASE HELP - Kernel panic problem

cpptutor2000

I am trying to debug some kernel software and running into a kernel
panic problem. The OS is Linux 2.6.18 and I am running on a PMC-Sierra
processor.

When the kernel panic occurs, there is a call trace. Now as this is an
embedded system application, my only debugging statements is to apply
debug print statements at appropriate locations and find out how many
of them get printed out before the panic occurs.

I am starting from the function at the top of the stack, which is
where the panic was supposed to have been triggered.

I have found that if I comment out all the code in the function at the
top of the call trace, with the function just returning an integer,
the panic still occurs at the function that was supposed to have been
called before the function at the top of the call trace.

I am very confused. Could someone please point out if I am doing
something terribly wrong, or is there something wrong with my
debugging method, or if there is a more efficient way to tackle the
problem, given that there is no debugger.

Any hints, suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance
for your help.

Jens Thoms Toerring

I am trying to debug some kernel software and running into a kernel
panic problem. The OS is Linux 2.6.18 and I am running on a PMC-Sierra
processor.
When the kernel panic occurs, there is a call trace. Now as this is an
embedded system application, my only debugging statements is to apply
debug print statements at appropriate locations and find out how many
of them get printed out before the panic occurs.

<rest snipped>

This really isn't a problem with the C language. I guess you will
be much better served if you ask in a group where questions like
yours are on-topic, like comp.os.linux.development.system and where
you hopefully will find the experts for these kinds of things. If
you post there it probably would be a good idea to post the actual
call trace instead of just a vague description.

Regards, Jens