Please help:manipulating XML with Word 2003

Ed from AZ

I'm using Word 2003. I use a proprietary Java program that takes all
the information in the various forms and generates an XML file.
There
are times I need to move information between files. I tried to
explore this in the Excel and Access NG, because the data format
would
lend itself very well to a spreadsheet or table. But I reached a
dead
end.

My thought is to create a macro that would find the proper tags and
parse out all the data in between the correct tags into a table or
spreadsheet. Then, after I have cut / pasted / mutilated the data as
required, I can write the new data back into an array, append the
correct tags, and write it back into the original XML file.

One problem is that when I open an XML file in Word 2003, I see on
screen the cute little visual representations of the tags - but they
aren't really there. At least, they don't show up in Print Preview,
and Paragraph.Range.Text doesn't see them. I found a clue in one NG
post and opened the Script Editor (ALT + SHIFT + F11), and saw tags
and much more. But I still have no idea how to accomplish what seems
to be the simple project of writing out the data from certain tags
and
then writing it back when I'm done.

Can anyone please drop-kick me in a good direction to get started
towards this?

Ed