please help me choose a proper gui library.

Discussion in 'Python' started by krishnakant Mane, Nov 18, 2006.

  1. hello all.
    after finishing a project in record time using python we have taken up
    one more project.
    this time however, we need to do a gui based project which will run
    on windows xp and 2000.
    now My question is which gui toolkit should I choose?
    I had initially raised some doubt about accessibility (which is very
    important for me ), and with the answers and all the pointers given, I
    know that wxpython is quite out of question.
    now my next choice is PyQT.
    can some one give me information on the following points?
    1. do I first need to install the pure c++ based QT library both on
    the developer machine and the client's user machine?
    2. I need an executable binary installer for windows xp. is it
    available for python24? I searched but found one for python25. else
    kindly guide me what should I do to install the source. I read the
    documentation but did not get the clear idea whether I must have qt
    installed first or not. if yes are there binary installers of PYQT
    which can also install qt?
    3. if I need to upgrate to python25, should it be considered safe?
    4. I don't want to use the qt IDE and this point is nothing to do
    with qt, I need a good windows based python editor.
    5. if I am supposed to also distrubute qt with PYQT, how do I plan
    the deployment of my ready software?
    thanking all.
    Krishnakant.
    krishnakant Mane, Nov 18, 2006

  2. krishnakant Mane

    sturlamolden Guest

    krishnakant Mane wrote:

    > now My question is which gui toolkit should I choose?

    It's a matter of taste. I would recommend PyGTK (yes it runs on
    Windows). You can design the GUI in a fly with GLADE, and import it as
    an XML resource in Python with one single line of code. It will save
    you an awful lot of work; all you have to code is the event handlers.
    Additionally you get the GUI design out of you code, which makes
    maintenance a lot easier. You can redesign the GUI without changing or
    breaking your existing Python code.
    sturlamolden, Nov 18, 2006

  3. On 18 Nov 2006 12:40:57 -0800, sturlamolden <> wrote:
    > It's a matter of taste. I would recommend PyGTK (yes it runs on
    > Windows). You can design the GUI in a fly with GLADE, and import it as
    > an XML resource in Python with one single line of code.

    I also have to consider the issue of accessibility.
    I am blind myself and need to know what I am coding. and as a policy
    matter our company always makes use of accessible libraries just in
    case any client is also handicap. some laws have also made it
    mandatory.

    >It will save
    > you an awful lot of work; all you have to code is the event handlers.

    that will be great provided it is accessible on windows.
    > Additionally you get the GUI design out of you code, which makes
    > maintenance a lot easier. You can redesign the GUI without changing or
    > breaking your existing Python code.

    that is great but I don't want to use glade.
    I will like a simple ide where I can do hand coding.
    I am going to try python with eclipse.

    thanks,
    Krishnakant.
    krishnakant Mane, Nov 19, 2006