    simple an answer as you can offer would be great.

    thanks ahead for any help

    Big
    Big McLargehuge, Nov 5, 2005

  2. Big McLargehuge

    brucie Guest

    In post <news:>,
    Big McLargehuge said:

    > I wanted to include a text box (not for input, but with text that the
    > reader has to scroll down to read all of it) in my webpage and am
    > running into a problem. I know how to create a basic text box with
    > scroll buttons, but it want's to pull the text from another page. Is
    > there a way to create one of these but have the actual text residing
    > in the code of the same page that is being displayed?

    do a google for your favourite server scripting language + screen scraper.
    they extract whatever goodies from remote pages and then you can manipulate
    it however you like. if applicable seek permission to do so and be careful
    of copyright issues.

    > I'm using Frontpage 2003 (if that helps)

    no, it doesn't help. the worst editor you could possible use, the markup it
    spews forth is disgusting. heres are some others but i haven't checked the
    links for over 12 months, sorry. most are text editors, if you want a
    wysinwyg editor i recommend ibm websphere, with only a few trivial
    exceptions it can generate valid markup in wysinwyg mode.

    HTML
    free:
    jedit: http://www.jedit.org/
    nedit: http://www.nedit.org/
    ewisoft: http://www.ewisoft.com/
    netpadd: http://www.netpadd.com/
    araneae: http://www.araneae.com/
    1st page: http://www.evrsoft.com/
    crimson: http://crimsoneditor.com/
    ezpad: http://www.mmedia.is/ezpad/
    pnotepad: http://www.pnotepad.org/
    D&S: http://editor.usenetshit.info/
    acehtml: http://freeware.acehtml.com/
    screem (linux): http://www.screem.org/
    notetab light: http://www.notetab.com/
    html-kit: http://www.chami.com/html-kit/
    context: http://www.fixedsys.com/context/
    pspad: http://www.pspad.com/en/index.html
    websmill: http://www.xtreeme.com/websmill/
    SciTE: http://www.scintilla.org/SciTE.html
    metapad: http://www.liquidninja.com/metapad/
    slickedit (linux:) http://www.slickedit.com/
    quanta (linux): http://quanta.sourceforge.net/
    bluefish.(linux): http://bluefish.openoffice.nl/
    tswebeditor: http://thaler.ennstal.at/tswebeditor/
    notespad: http://www.newbie.net/NotesPad/index.html
    pagebuilder: http://www.tafweb.com/pagebuilder.html
    grey matter pro: http://www.pagetutor.com/misc/grey.html
    editpad lite: http://www.editpadlite.com/editpadlite.html
    stones webwrite: http://www.webwriter.dk/english/index.htm
    matizha sublime: http://www.matizha.com/en/products/sublime/

    not free:
    textpad: http://www.textpad.com/ [$30]
    notetab: http://www.notetab.com/ [$10+]
    editplus: http://www.editplus.com/ [$30]
    ultraedit: http://www.idmcomp.com/ [$35]
    editpad: http://www.editpadpro.com/ [$40]
    hypertext studio: http://www.olsonsoft.com/ [$100]
    top style: http://www.bradsoft.com/topstyle/ [$80]
    namo: http://www.namo.com/products/webeditor/ [$90]
    acehtml pro: http://www.visicommedia.com/acehtml/ [$50]
    ibm websphere: http://www-3.ibm.com/software/webservers/hpbuilder/ [$70]
    spider writer: http://www.actiprosoftware.com/Products/SpiderWriter/ [$80]

    PHP
    phpedit: http://phpedit.org/ [$0]
    winsyntax: http://winsyntax.com/ [$0]
    hydraPHP: http://www.coldmind.com/ [coming soon]
    devphp: http://devphp.sourceforge.net/ [$0]
    phped: http://www.nusphere.com/products/ [$300]
    top php studio: http://www.top-systems.net/ [$30]
    dzsoft php editor: http://www.dzsoft.com/dzphp.htm [$40]
    Expert Editor: http://www.ankord.com/phpxedit.html [$35]
    komodo: http://www.activestate.com/Products/Komodo/ [$30+]
    phpcoder: http://www.phpide.com/go/programs/php_coder.htm [$0]
    Davor's PHP Editor: http://www.pleskina.com/dphped/main.php [$0]
    maguma studio/workbench: http://www.maguma.com/products/?article=Studio {$40+]

    > I'm not trying to add any fancy stuff to the page, I'm not an advanced
    > HTML coder or anything, so as simple an answer as you can offer would be
    > great.

    the simplest way would be an <iframe> within a scrolling <div> but there
    are issues with frames|iframes but that doesn't make the external content
    part of your page.

    --
    l i t t l e v o i c e s
    brucie, Nov 5, 2005

  3. Big McLargehuge

    Arne Guest

    Once upon a time *Big McLargehuge* wrote:

    > I wanted to include a text box (not for input, but with text that the
    > reader has to scroll down to read all of it) in my webpage and am
    > running into a problem. I know how to create a basic text box with
    > scroll buttons, but it want's to pull the text from another page. Is
    > there a way to create one of these but have the actual text residing
    > in the code of the same page that is being displayed?
    > I'm using Frontpage 2003 (if that helps) and no amount of google
    > searching has answered this for me. I'm not trying to add any fancy
    > stuff to the page, I'm not an advanced HTML coder or anything, so as
    > simple an answer as you can offer would be great.
    >
    > thanks ahead for any help

    Google for "overflow: auto;" and see if it's what you can use. It's
    CSS (Cascading Style Sheet) and you may need to add it to the page
    with something else (like Notepad) than Frontpage to make it work.

    --
    /Arne
    -- *Joke of the day* ----------------------------------------
    Arne, Nov 5, 2005
  4. Big McLargehuge

    Duende Guest

    On 05 Nov 2005 brucie wrote in alt.html

    > winsyntax: http://winsyntax.com/ [$0]

    i relly like this one, ;/0

    --
    D?
    Duende, Nov 5, 2005
  5. Big McLargehuge

    brucie Guest

    In post <news:Xns97058338A56E5Hi@207.115.17.102>,
    Duende said:

    >> winsyntax: http://winsyntax.com/ [$0]

    > i relly like this one, ;/0

    stop picking on me you big meanie or i'll tell my mommy. i said i hadn't

    brucie, Nov 5, 2005
  6. Big McLargehuge

    http://tinyurl.com/aphsp

    --
    D?
    Duende, Nov 5, 2005
  7. Big McLargehuge

    Spartanicus Guest

    Big McLargehuge <> wrote:

    >I wanted to include a text box (not for input, but with text that the
    >reader has to scroll down to read all of it) in my webpage

    Stop wanting that, they are a usability nightmare. Scrolling these boxes
    with the mouse is poorly supported, keyboard users often cannot scroll
    them at all.

    If there is to much content to insert it on a page, insert only a bit of
    it with a [more] link beneath it that links to the full text.

    --
    Spartanicus
    Spartanicus, Nov 5, 2005
  8. Spartanicus <> said:
    >>I wanted to include a text box (not for input, but with text
    >>that the reader has to scroll down to read all of it) in my
    >>webpage

    > Stop wanting that, they are a usability nightmare. Scrolling
    > these boxes with the mouse is poorly supported...

    How can you claim that mouse control for a scrolling text box is
    poorly supported in graphical browsers? I might buy the keyboard
    argument, but not the mouse one.

    --
    -=tn=-
    Travis Newbury, Nov 6, 2005
  9. Big McLargehuge

    Els Guest

    Travis Newbury wrote:

    > Spartanicus <> said:
    >>>I wanted to include a text box (not for input, but with text
    >>>that the reader has to scroll down to read all of it) in my
    >>>webpage

    >> Stop wanting that, they are a usability nightmare. Scrolling
    >> these boxes with the mouse is poorly supported...

    > How can you claim that mouse control for a scrolling text box is
    > poorly supported in graphical browsers? I might buy the keyboard
    > argument, but not the mouse one.

    Scrolling divs don't respond to the scroll wheel on the mouse in Gecko
    browsers afair.

    --
    Els http://locusmeus.com/
    - Renato Russo -
    Els, Nov 6, 2005
  10. Els <> said:
    >>> Stop wanting that, they are a usability nightmare. Scrolling
    >>> these boxes with the mouse is poorly supported...

    >> How can you claim that mouse control for a scrolling text box
    >> is poorly supported in graphical browsers? I might buy the
    >> keyboard argument, but not the mouse one.

    > Scrolling divs don't respond to the scroll wheel on the mouse in
    > Gecko browsers afair.

    We obviously have a different view on what poorly supported means.

    --
    -=tn=-
    Travis Newbury, Nov 6, 2005
  11. Big McLargehuge wrote:

    "I know how to create a basic text box with scroll buttons, but it
    want's to pull the text from another page."

    I don't understand what's happening there. For some reason it doesn't
    make sense.

    Would a textarea help ?

    http://www.xlectric.com/temp/tatest.html

    Later, Art.
    X l e c t r i c, Nov 6, 2005
  12. Big McLargehuge

    Guest

    <textarea> is a text box. it does not extract from another page
    , Nov 6, 2005
  13. On Sun, 6 Nov 2005 06:03:30 +1000,
    brucie <> wrote
    in Msg. <1ei12dtzjjn9n$>

    > the simplest way would be an <iframe> within a scrolling <div>

    What's a scrolling <div>? I've had the same problem (wanting a
    scrollable box inside a page) and all I caould find was <iframe>,
    forcing me to split my page into two parts (the "container" part and the
    included bit). A "scrolling <div>" would have been the exact thing I
    needed.

    robert
    Robert Latest, Nov 7, 2005
  14. Robert Latest wrote:
    > > the simplest way would be an <iframe> within a scrolling <div>

    > What's a scrolling <div>...

    It is a div that is smaller than its contents, then you turn on the
    scroll bars.

    --
    -=tn=-
    Travis Newbury, Nov 7, 2005
  15. Big McLargehuge

    brucie Guest

    http://moreshit.usenetshit.info/scrolling-div-thingy.shit

    > I've had the same problem (wanting a scrollable box inside a page)

    the browser already has 2 scrollbars built in, be careful adding more

    --
    l i t t l e v o i c e s
    brucie, Nov 7, 2005
  16. brucie wrote:
    > In post <news:Xns97058338A56E5Hi@207.115.17.102>,
    > Duende said:
    >
    >>>winsyntax: http://winsyntax.com/ [$0]

    >>i relly like this one, ;/0

    > stop picking on me you big meanie or i'll tell my mommy. i said i hadn't
    > checked the links for over 12 months.

    In that case. Change the winsyntax link into
    http://www.dirfile.com/arisesoft_winsyntax.htm
    --
    Edwin van der Vaart
    http://www.evandervaart.nl/ Persoonlijke website
    Edwin van der Vaart, Nov 10, 2005
  17. Big McLargehuge

    brucie Guest

    In post <news:xLNcf.654$zc1.596@amstwist00>,
    Edwin van der Vaart said:

    > In that case. Change the winsyntax link into
    > http://www.dirfile.com/arisesoft_winsyntax.htm

    thanks but the download link reports a 404

    --
    l i t t l e v o i c e s
    brucie, Nov 10, 2005
  18. brucie wrote:
    > In post <news:xLNcf.654$zc1.596@amstwist00>,
    > Edwin van der Vaart said:
    >

    >>In that case. Change the winsyntax link into
    >>http://www.dirfile.com/arisesoft_winsyntax.htm

    > thanks but the download link reports a 404

    Hmmm.
    Try this one
    http://www.filesclub.com/download/arisesoft_winsyntax_95613.html
    Edwin van der Vaart, Nov 10, 2005
  19. Big McLargehuge

    brucie Guest

    brucie, Nov 10, 2005
  20. Edwin van der Vaart wrote:
    > brucie wrote:
    >
    >> In post <news:xLNcf.654$zc1.596@amstwist00>,
    >> Edwin van der Vaart said:
    >>

    >>> In that case. Change the winsyntax link into
    >>> http://www.dirfile.com/arisesoft_winsyntax.htm

    >> thanks but the download link reports a 404

    > Hmmm.
    > Try this one
    > http://www.filesclub.com/download/arisesoft_winsyntax_95613.html

    Forget the link and the download page of winsyntax.
    I tried 2 download sites, but got also a 404. So it looks like Winsyntax
    doesn't exist any more.
    Edwin van der Vaart, Nov 10, 2005