Please help me create a scrolling text box

Big McLargehuge

I wanted to include a text box (not for input, but with text that the
reader has to scroll down to read all of it) in my webpage and am
running into a problem. I know how to create a basic text box with
scroll buttons, but it want's to pull the text from another page. Is
there a way to create one of these but have the actual text residing
in the code of the same page that is being displayed?
I'm using Frontpage 2003 (if that helps) and no amount of google
searching has answered this for me. I'm not trying to add any fancy
stuff to the page, I'm not an advanced HTML coder or anything, so as
simple an answer as you can offer would be great.

thanks ahead for any help

Big

brucie

I wanted to include a text box (not for input, but with text that the
reader has to scroll down to read all of it) in my webpage and am
running into a problem. I know how to create a basic text box with
scroll buttons, but it want's to pull the text from another page. Is
there a way to create one of these but have the actual text residing
in the code of the same page that is being displayed?

do a google for your favourite server scripting language + screen scraper.
they extract whatever goodies from remote pages and then you can manipulate
it however you like. if applicable seek permission to do so and be careful
of copyright issues.
I'm using Frontpage 2003 (if that helps)

no, it doesn't help. the worst editor you could possible use, the markup it
spews forth is disgusting. heres are some others but i haven't checked the
links for over 12 months, sorry. most are text editors, if you want a
wysinwyg editor i recommend ibm websphere, with only a few trivial
exceptions it can generate valid markup in wysinwyg mode.

HTML
free:
jedit: http://www.jedit.org/
nedit: http://www.nedit.org/
ewisoft: http://www.ewisoft.com/
netpadd: http://www.netpadd.com/
araneae: http://www.araneae.com/
1st page: http://www.evrsoft.com/
crimson: http://crimsoneditor.com/
ezpad: http://www.mmedia.is/ezpad/
pnotepad: http://www.pnotepad.org/
D&S: http://editor.usenetshit.info/
acehtml: http://freeware.acehtml.com/
screem (linux): http://www.screem.org/
notetab light: http://www.notetab.com/
html-kit: http://www.chami.com/html-kit/
context: http://www.fixedsys.com/context/
pspad: http://www.pspad.com/en/index.html
websmill: http://www.xtreeme.com/websmill/
SciTE: http://www.scintilla.org/SciTE.html
metapad: http://www.liquidninja.com/metapad/
slickedit (linux:) http://www.slickedit.com/
quanta (linux): http://quanta.sourceforge.net/
bluefish.(linux): http://bluefish.openoffice.nl/
tswebeditor: http://thaler.ennstal.at/tswebeditor/
notespad: http://www.newbie.net/NotesPad/index.html
pagebuilder: http://www.tafweb.com/pagebuilder.html
grey matter pro: http://www.pagetutor.com/misc/grey.html
editpad lite: http://www.editpadlite.com/editpadlite.html
stones webwrite: http://www.webwriter.dk/english/index.htm
matizha sublime: http://www.matizha.com/en/products/sublime/

not free:
textpad: http://www.textpad.com/ [$30]
notetab: http://www.notetab.com/ [$10+]
editplus: http://www.editplus.com/ [$30]
ultraedit: http://www.idmcomp.com/ [$35]
editpad: http://www.editpadpro.com/ [$40]
hypertext studio: http://www.olsonsoft.com/ [$100]
top style: http://www.bradsoft.com/topstyle/ [$80]
namo: http://www.namo.com/products/webeditor/ [$90]
acehtml pro: http://www.visicommedia.com/acehtml/ [$50]
ibm websphere: http://www-3.ibm.com/software/webservers/hpbuilder/ [$70]
spider writer: http://www.actiprosoftware.com/Products/SpiderWriter/ [$80]

PHP
phpedit: http://phpedit.org/ [$0]
winsyntax: http://winsyntax.com/ [$0]
hydraPHP: http://www.coldmind.com/ [coming soon]
devphp: http://devphp.sourceforge.net/ [$0]
phped: http://www.nusphere.com/products/ [$300]
top php studio: http://www.top-systems.net/ [$30]
dzsoft php editor: http://www.dzsoft.com/dzphp.htm [$40]
Expert Editor: http://www.ankord.com/phpxedit.html [$35]
komodo: http://www.activestate.com/Products/Komodo/ [$30+]
phpcoder: http://www.phpide.com/go/programs/php_coder.htm [$0]
Davor's PHP Editor: http://www.pleskina.com/dphped/main.php [$0]
maguma studio/workbench: http://www.maguma.com/products/?article=Studio {$40+]
I'm not trying to add any fancy stuff to the page, I'm not an advanced
HTML coder or anything, so as simple an answer as you can offer would be
great.

the simplest way would be an <iframe> within a scrolling <div> but there
are issues with frames|iframes but that doesn't make the external content
part of your page.

Arne

Once said:
I wanted to include a text box (not for input, but with text that the
reader has to scroll down to read all of it) in my webpage and am
running into a problem. I know how to create a basic text box with
scroll buttons, but it want's to pull the text from another page. Is
there a way to create one of these but have the actual text residing
in the code of the same page that is being displayed?
I'm using Frontpage 2003 (if that helps) and no amount of google
searching has answered this for me. I'm not trying to add any fancy
stuff to the page, I'm not an advanced HTML coder or anything, so as
simple an answer as you can offer would be great.

thanks ahead for any help

Google for "overflow: auto;" and see if it's what you can use. It's
CSS (Cascading Style Sheet) and you may need to add it to the page
with something else (like Notepad) than Frontpage to make it work.

--
/Arne
-- *Joke of the day* ----------------------------------------

Spartanicus

Big McLargehuge said:
I wanted to include a text box (not for input, but with text that the
reader has to scroll down to read all of it) in my webpage

Stop wanting that, they are a usability nightmare. Scrolling these boxes
with the mouse is poorly supported, keyboard users often cannot scroll
them at all.

If there is to much content to insert it on a page, insert only a bit of
it with a [more] link beneath it that links to the full text.

Travis Newbury

Spartanicus said:
Stop wanting that, they are a usability nightmare. Scrolling
these boxes with the mouse is poorly supported...

How can you claim that mouse control for a scrolling text box is
poorly supported in graphical browsers? I might buy the keyboard
argument, but not the mouse one.

Els

Travis said:
How can you claim that mouse control for a scrolling text box is
poorly supported in graphical browsers? I might buy the keyboard
argument, but not the mouse one.

Scrolling divs don't respond to the scroll wheel on the mouse in Gecko
browsers afair.

Travis Newbury

Els said:
Scrolling divs don't respond to the scroll wheel on the mouse in
Gecko browsers afair.

We obviously have a different view on what poorly supported means.

X l e c t r i c

Big McLargehuge wrote:

"I know how to create a basic text box with scroll buttons, but it
want's to pull the text from another page."

I don't understand what's happening there. For some reason it doesn't
make sense.

Would a textarea help ?

http://www.xlectric.com/temp/tatest.html

Later, Art.

Robert Latest

On Sun, 6 Nov 2005 06:03:30 +1000,
in Msg. said:
the simplest way would be an <iframe> within a scrolling <div>

What's a scrolling <div>? I've had the same problem (wanting a
scrollable box inside a page) and all I caould find was <iframe>,
forcing me to split my page into two parts (the "container" part and the
included bit). A "scrolling <div>" would have been the exact thing I
needed.

robert

Edwin van der Vaart

brucie said:
i relly like this one, ;/0

stop picking on me you big meanie or i'll tell my mommy. i said i hadn't
checked the links for over 12 months.
In that case. Change the winsyntax link into
http://www.dirfile.com/arisesoft_winsyntax.htm
--
Edwin van der Vaart
http://www.evandervaart.nl/ Persoonlijke website

Edwin van der Vaart

Edwin van der Vaart

Edwin said:
Forget the link and the download page of winsyntax.
I tried 2 download sites, but got also a 404. So it looks like Winsyntax
doesn't exist any more.