Please Help me- Returning DataSet from a Web Service

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Services' started by Sumaira Ahmad, Nov 1, 2004.

  1. Hi All

    My Web Service is returning a DataSet. I realized that we cannot
    return a DataReader.. Normally we can use a DataReader( when not
    using Web services) and access it as below to assign values of columns
    of returned rows to Labels in the client aplication such as:

    while (dtrJobDetails.Read())
    {
    l_shortjobdesc.Text = dtrJobDetails["shortjobdesc"].ToString();
    }
    where dtrJobDetails is a DataReader.

    But now I am forced to return back a DataSet.. Is there anyway of
    showing the individual column values returned from a DataSet in
    individual labels like we do in a DataReader as above... I dont want
    to show it in a DataGrid or a DataList...

    Please help me.. I have been trying to figure this out since two
    days..

    Any help will be highly appreciated...
    Thanks,
    Sumaira
    Sumaira Ahmad, Nov 1, 2004

  2. Sumaira Ahmad

    RK Guest

    in the web service..
    use DataAdapter to fill dataset.

    OracleConnection conn = new OracleConnection(connectionString);
    DataSet ds = new DataSet();
    OracleDataAdapter adap = new OracleDataAdapter("select * from table_name", conn);

    adap.TableMappings.Add("Table","table_name"); // map a table with table name.
    adap.Fill(ds);

    and on the receiving side (which receives webservice code)...

    use the following code..

    DataTable dt = ds.Tables["table_name"];

    and loop throw all the columns..

    for(int i=0; i<dt.Rows.Count; i++){
    int intColumn1 = (int)dt.Rows["COLUMN_1"];
    string strColumn2 = dt.Rows["COLUMN_2"].ToString();
    etc...
    }

    close connections appropriately..
    hope this will help you..goodluck