please help me to understand this code?

Tim Greer

Pilcrow said:
Mr Greer said:
It says what it does, so I assume you mean the actual code?  If so,
what parts are you not understanding?  What parts _do_ you understand?
Knowing this will be helpful to giving you the best answer, without
anyone having to go into great detail or explain every aspect (since
if you didn't know any of it, it probably wouldn't do you any good to
have someone explain it when it comes down to it).  That is, you must
have looked for or saw this code somewhere and wanted to use it, so
you must have some idea of what it does?

Did he not see that I had told him the source of the code? And then he
excused himself from helping, since it wouldn't do any good!

So I made a couple of quick remarks to both of those snobs.  Am I
depriving myself of their help?  What help?  I called one "Your
Majesty",  the other "Your Holiness".  Insulting?  Only if you think
comparison to majesty and holiness is insulting.

You posted random code, as far as everyone here could know, which you
might have just found and not have known if it's even relevant (believe
it or not, that happens). You could have quickly mentioned your issue
and goal, and that you know what "this part does" and maybe asked about
some specific function.

It's not "snobby" to ask someone literally what they already understand.
You might not have known what the shebang line was and -n, you might
not have known what "sub" meant, or (&@), or "my", "shift", etc. You
might not have known the difference between = and ==. You might not
have known what $var and @var were, or that lines starting with # are
comments. You might not have known what "while" is, or what --$q or
++$q do (or for that matter, the differences between --$q and $q--, or
what $idx[$p-1] is, or what return does. You might not have known what
push does, or reverse, or splice, or split, or how curly braces work,
and on and on. Just exactly where does the answer start or end? Should
I have made a reckless attempt to answer you anyway, and risked
confusion or not actually helping you (after wasting who knows how much
time with the reply, depending on the detail of the answer)? Granted,
if someone believes they understood and have some theory about what
should be an appropriate answer, that's great, but if someone doesn't
have anything to go on, you run that risk (and probably risk being
insulted in response anyway, if someone's that unreasonable).

I didn't excuse myself from helping, I was asking a genuine question. I
actually started to reply, but then thought "what good would it do to
break it down, if it'll only lead to more questions or cause the OP
(you) confusion?" It might not have helped. Surely, you knew what
_some_ of the code did, so what parts were you asking about? That
allows people to follow up with more relevant and more
detailed/in-depth responses that contain the answers you are looking
for. I had no way to determine what level of understanding you were
at, so I didn't know how to reply and chance misleading you. Not
giving people here the benefit of the doubt, whom are genuinely here
interested in offering help to posters, you start making snide and rude
remarks, which is really immature.

You think people post help here just to try and act superior? I urged
you to clarify the information you were asking about, so I could offer
help. Apparently that's not rational regardless of what was said or
the intent, you'd rather pass insults? You can plainly see that my
asking you was not whatsoever intended to make you feel like less of a
person, but to understand the question so I could help. There's no
reason to be terse and rude. I am fully aware that there are arrogant
people on any news group out there, and you pretty much can't go
anywhere online and ask a simple question in a friendly and civil
manner, without some person with "issues" that will want to attack you
or try and act like a know it all, but don't let that fact make you
believe that everyone is like that, or to jump the gun and assume that
about people without some grounds to actually form that opinion.
Seriously, blaming your rudeness and inability to act civil on what
other people do, isn't going to win you any sympathy. If my reply in
an attempt to gather the information needed to properly assist you came
off as rude or snobbish, than I apologize, because that was absolutely
not the intent.

Eric Pozharski

On 2009-01-11 said:
Now to you: I knew the provenience of 'pearls before swine', and I
probably came into contact with the Bible several decades before you
did. (You don't know how ancient I am.) Perhaps you don't realize that
Jesus was Jewish, and the Jews have a profound revulsion to anything
having to do with swine. To call someone 'swine' was an insult then
and it is an insult now. But I forgive you, for you know not what you
do.

You know what? That doesn't matter how old you are, "Posting History"
that what matters. What you did was childish (even if you had a cause).
And, just in case you care, saying "PLONK" isn't considered as social
requirement. And now you must find your way out of killfile (as if it
would be possible).

Look, I wasn't born on USENET actually. There's other world, that world
has rules, accidentally they written in POLICY (even if noone cares).
And there're simple words written (they are in my heart) --

Don't Annoy. And Don't Be Easily Annoyed.

*CUT*