Please help, my program doesn't work!

nroberts

Hello dear readers,

My program segfaults when I run it on my server:http://pastie.org/2637933

Please anyone know the issue?

You can reach me at (e-mail address removed)

Thanks!

~Ionic/Mihai

No null terminator in the_actual_truth. This is clearly an issue, and
I'd guess it's the issue you're having.

Angel

Hello dear readers,

My program segfaults when I run it on my server: http://pastie.org/2637933

Please anyone know the issue?

You can reach me at (e-mail address removed)

Thanks!

~Ionic/Mihai

puts() expects a zero-terminated string. Your array of unsigned char
is not zero-terminated, so most likely the puts() call will veer outside
allocated memory while looking for the \0 and thus generate a segfault.

There are a couple of other issues with your program as well, but I'm
sure the others here can point them out better than I can.

Ike Naar

No null terminator in the_actual_truth. This is clearly an issue, and
I'd guess it's the issue you're having.

Whatever the issue is, it's not that.
the_actual_truth[89] is a null terminator.

John Bode

No null terminator in the_actual_truth.  This is clearly an issue, and
I'd guess it's the issue you're having.

Whatever the issue is, it's not that.
the_actual_truth[89] is a null terminator.

The issue is that it's an epic troll.

At least if you're familiar with German.

Keith Thompson

Mihai Moldovan said:
Hello dear readers,

My program segfaults when I run it on my server: http://pastie.org/2637933

Please anyone know the issue?

You can reach me at (e-mail address removed)
[...]

I believe someone has forged Mihai Moldovan's name in an effort
to insult him. The program prints a stupid insult in German.
It doesn't segfault, and there *is* a null terminator in the
string being printed. The insulting message is not obvious from
the source code, presumably to trick readers into compiling and
running the program.

Mr. Moldovan: I have no idea what's going on, but if someone this
stupid hates you, you must be doing something right.

[Cc'ed to the apparent poster, who is probably the intended target of
the insult.]

Keith Thompson

Keith Thompson said:
Mihai Moldovan said:
Hello dear readers,

My program segfaults when I run it on my server: http://pastie.org/2637933

Please anyone know the issue?

You can reach me at (e-mail address removed)
[...]

I believe someone has forged Mihai Moldovan's name in an effort
to insult him. The program prints a stupid insult in German.
It doesn't segfault, and there *is* a null terminator in the
string being printed. The insulting message is not obvious from
the source code, presumably to trick readers into compiling and
running the program.

Mr. Moldovan: I have no idea what's going on, but if someone this
stupid hates you, you must be doing something right.

[Cc'ed to the apparent poster, who is probably the intended target of
the insult.]

I got an e-mail response from Mihai Moldovan:

| Hello Keith,
|
| thanks for forwarding this, I was not aware of it.
|
| You are absolutely right, I did not post to the newsgroup.
| I suspect one (or for that matter, two) of my fellow students forged it.
| They know that for once I use pastie.org as my favorite pasting service
| and second made fun of my habit to include my mail address and telephone
| number in the copyright notice.
|
| Please disregard any more posts, whether alike the one you quoted or
| not, unless they are digitally signed with my certificate (S-MIME, as
| you can see in this message).
|
| Also, I would like you to forward this message to the newsgroup, if it's
| not too much trouble.
|
| Best regards,
|

| Mihai

Kleuskes & Moos

Hello dear readers,
My program segfaults when I run it on my
server:http://pastie.org/2637933
Please anyone know the issue?
You can reach me at (e-mail address removed)

No null terminator in the_actual_truth.  This is clearly an issue,
and I'd guess it's the issue you're having.

Whatever the issue is, it's not that. the_actual_truth[89] is a null
terminator.

The issue is that it's an epic troll.

At least if you're familiar with German.

The "epic" may be slightly exaggerated. Personally i think it's rather
pathetic. I've seen better provocations from 4 year olds

_______________________________________
/ Psychoanalysis?? I thought this was a \
\ nude rap session!!! /
\
\
___