Please help!!! OOP and ASP.Net Tutorial (desperate search)

Big Dave

Good morning. Can anyone recommend a good website or tutorial for
object oriented programming in asp.net? Preferrabley using vb.net,
but I can figure it out from c# if need be. I'm currently trying to
teach myself oop and .net. I think I have a good understanding of
both from a basic level (encapsulation, polymorphism, design patterns
on the oop side/ado.net, server controls, custom controls etc on the
..net side) but I can't find a good site that gives tutorials that
combine the two. Every example I find either is of asp.net with no
object design, or it's oop but VERY basic. If I see another hello
world object, I'm going to shoot myself.

So, any suggestions, links, etc would be GREATLY apprecaited. Thank
you in advance.

CJ Taylor

Actually. OOP really has nothing to do with the ASP.NET part. The logic is
the exact same behind all of it regardless of being ASP.NET, VB.NET, C#,
C++, etc, etc.

The ASP.NET model is comparable to MVC [Model-View-Controller] from what
I've seen. There are distinct differences, but understanding how the
presentation logic has been completly stripped from the data / business
logic is probably the most diffucult concept to understand.

Perhaps fire a few questions this way and I'll do my best to answer them...
It's really interesting when you see how it all fits together. A great Open
Source project to learn from in DotNetNuke. Excellent job of separating
them all out and great documentation...

HTH,
CJ

Dave Wade

I think in a lot of cases, I'm just looking for examples to make sure
I'm on the right track. Also a lot of the .net examples I see show how
to do things in the code behind files, but that doesn't always seem to
translate to the same code in a custom object.

I'll give an example here, hopefully I'm not being too long winded.

I'm working on an application that has a logical business object called
company. I've created a typed data set that contains a datatable for
company, along with data tables for two lookup tables that have a 1 to
many relationship with company.

So, I've got a data access object (CompanyDA) that has functions to
return command objects for the insert, update, select and delete stored
procedures. That object also has a function to get an instance of the
typed dataset.

I'm now working on a custom CompanyDataGrid which uses the dataset from
the CompanyDA object to perform the binding. Everything I read about
the datagrid says to only bind the object when postback is false. But I
can't seem to come up with a logical way to check for postback from
within my CompanyDataGrid. Page.IsPostBack doesn't work. I assume
there must be some reference within the instance of CompanyDataGrid to
refer to the calling Page object, but I can't find it.

If I could just find an example of an application that was set up, say
with an mvc pattern, so that I can make sure I've got the overall ideas
correct, but then also check things like how they handled the postback,
I'd be okay, but I've just had no luck finding that example. The
DotNetNuke reference you mentioned certainly holds much more promise
than anything else I've seen yet, guess I know what I'm doing for the
rest of the day.

Thanks again for your quick response, I'm very grateful!

Kevin Spencer

I wasn't going to respond to Big Dave's question, as I honestly don't know
where to find the kind of tutorial mentioned in that post. However, I felt a
desire to help Big Dave out. Then I read this, which is the only reply Big
Dave has received so far, and I'm afraid my compassion for Big Dave compels
me to refute some of the assertions in this post, in order to prevent Big
Dave from being led away from the knowledge he so earnestly seeks.
Actually. OOP really has nothing to do with the ASP.NET part. The logic is
the exact same behind all of it regardless of being ASP.NET, VB.NET, C#,
C++, etc, etc.

This is nonsense. Besides not meaning anything in particular, it gives the
false impression that ASP.net and OOP are un-related. Nothing could be
further from the truth. ASP.Net, VB.Net, and C# are all part of the
Microsoft .Net platform, which is the most fully-object-oriented programming
platform conceived to date. And for good reason. OOP is the predominant
programming paradigm these days because of the sheer size and complexity of
modern applications. It is EXTREMELY important to understand OOP principles
and practices in order to be an effective .Net programmer. Anyone who
maintains otherwise is not fit to be President of the United States, or a
..Net programmer either.
The ASP.NET model is comparable to MVC [Model-View-Controller] from what
I've seen. There are distinct differences, but understanding how the
presentation logic has been completly stripped from the data / business
logic is probably the most diffucult concept to understand.

Horsefeathers! There is a vital difference between the architecture of the
..Net platform, the ASP.Net object model, and the application architectural
design pattern known as "MVC." They are unrelated. You can architect a .Net
application any way you like. Of course, you can only architect it ONE best
way, but that may or may not include the "MVC" design patttern.

Big Dave: You seem to have divided ASP.Net and OOP rather well in your
question. They are 2 distinctly different subjects. ASP.Net is a programming
platform and technology. OOP is a paradigm for developing software in
general. Perhaps that is why you're having trouble finding tutorials that
cover both. Maybe your best bet isn't to try to find one that combines them,
but to find several on each that don't. I don't know, but you have my best
wishes.

--
HTH,
Kevin Spencer

Big Dave said:
[...]

logic

This is nonsense. Besides not meaning anything in particular, it gives the
false impression that ASP.net and OOP are un-related. Nothing could be
further from the truth. ASP.Net, VB.Net, and C# are all part of the
Microsoft .Net platform, which is the most fully-object-oriented programming
platform conceived to date. And for good reason. OOP is the predominant
programming paradigm these days because of the sheer size and complexity of
modern applications. It is EXTREMELY important to understand OOP principles
and practices in order to be an effective .Net programmer. Anyone who
maintains otherwise is not fit to be President of the United States, or a
.Net programmer either.

You obvously misread that. Looking ASP.NET in general and what separates it
from other languages is the complete separation of presentation logic from
business logic. Which if you read MVC design patterns, that is the whole
focus.

The business code itself has nothing to do with it. It doesn't matter if
you write it in C#, VB.NET, C++.NET or whatever. That's the point. OOP is
OOP. ASP.NET doesn't really change that. So trying to compare developing
ASP.NET OOP vs VB.NET oop is irrelevant. Except you cannot inherit visual
controls in ASP.NET. (The presentation side that is... not the back end
classes that fuel the presentation controls).

Sorry if you misread that. Or I didn't explain it well enough. Wasn't
trying to discredit OOP in any way, just showing, don't try to focus on it's
use in ASP.NET, but the concept as a whole.

In VB.NET/C# etc we didn't see this as much because prsentation, as much as
you attempt to, was still hooked into the business tier (unless you worked
at it.) We've seen vast changes in this with the introduction of XAML, and
even more so with XHTML used in ASP.NET. Before this when I coded
JSP/Servlets, it was the same way. We just called user controls, tag
libraries...

The ASP.NET model is comparable to MVC [Model-View-Controller] from what
I've seen. There are distinct differences, but understanding how the
presentation logic has been completly stripped from the data / business
logic is probably the most diffucult concept to understand.

Horsefeathers! There is a vital difference between the architecture of the
.Net platform, the ASP.Net object model, and the application architectural
design pattern known as "MVC." They are unrelated. You can architect a ..Net
application any way you like. Of course, you can only architect it ONE best
way, but that may or may not include the "MVC" design patttern.

I compared it to MVC! The pure separation of the business tier from
presentation.
Big Dave: You seem to have divided ASP.Net and OOP rather well in your
question. They are 2 distinctly different subjects. ASP.Net is a programming
platform and technology. OOP is a paradigm for developing software in
general. Perhaps that is why you're having trouble finding tutorials that
cover both. Maybe your best bet isn't to try to find one that combines them,
but to find several on each that don't. I don't know, but you have my best
wishes.

Thanks for reiterating my point again...

--
HTH,
Kevin Spencer