Please help: pylint does not work with Emacs23 on Windows

Dsrt Egle

Hi,

I am trying to use Pylint with Emacs on Windows XP. My Emacs version
is EmacsW32 23.1, pylint is 0.21.3 with Python 2.5. After easy_install
pylint, I added the code block below to Emacs init file, copied form
Emacs Wiki.

(when (load "flymake" t)
(defun flymake-pylint-init ()
(let* ((temp-file (flymake-init-create-temp-buffer-copy
'flymake-create-temp-inplace))
(local-file (file-relative-name
temp-file
(file-name-directory buffer-file-name))))
(list "epylint" (list local-file))))

(add-to-list 'flymake-allowed-file-name-masks
'("\\.py\\'" flymake-pylint-init)))

When I invoke the flymake-mode on a .py file, I can see the flymake
starting the syntax check, the mode status changed to flymake*, and
then goes back to flymake after several seconds. But no error is
reported, and no syntax error highlighting.

I tried to use pylint in command line, and it works with command
"pylint test.py", reporting syntax errors on the same file.

I even tried to clear out my .emacs file, but it doesn't help.

Could someone help me on this? Thanks a lot.

[...]

Question Update: I tried the following at command line prompt with
"pylint" and "epylint". Does this mean that epylint has a problem?

C:\Projects>pylint test_lib.py
No config file found, using default configuration
************* Module test_lib
E: 13: invalid syntax

C:\Projects>epylint test_lib.py
'test_lib.py':1: [F] No module named 'test_lib.py'

C:\Projects>epylint
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "C:\Python25\Scripts\epylint", line 5, in <module>
pkg_resources.run_script('pylint==0.21.3', 'epylint')
File "C:\Python25\Lib\site-packages\pkg_resources.py", line 489,
in run_script

self.require(requires)[0].run_script(script_name, ns)
File "C:\Python25\Lib\site-packages\pkg_resources.py", line
1207, in run_script
execfile(script_filename, namespace, namespace)
File "c:\python25\lib\site-packages\pylint-0.21.3-py2.5.egg\EGG-
INFO\scripts\epylint", line 3, in <module>
epylint.Run()
File "c:\python25\lib\site-packages\pylint-0.21.3-py2.5.egg
\pylint\epylint.py", line 93, in Run
lint(sys.argv[1])
IndexError: list index out of range

Alexandre Fayolle

Dsrt said:
Hi,

I am trying to use Pylint with Emacs on Windows XP. My Emacs version
is EmacsW32 23.1, pylint is 0.21.3 with Python 2.5. After easy_install
pylint, I added the code block below to Emacs init file, copied form
Emacs Wiki.

there are some files provided by pylint for emacs integration. And a patch
was sent a few weeks ago on the pylint mailing list which improves emacs
support on Windows : http://lists.logilab.org/pipermail/python-
projects/2009-September/002039.html

Could you give it a try? And maybe report back on the python-projects
mailing list (info at http://lists.logilab.org/mailman/listinfo/python-
projects).

Regards,

Alexandre Fayolle

Alexandre said:
there are some files provided by pylint for emacs integration. And a patch
was sent a few weeks ago on the pylint mailing list which improves emacs
support on Windows : http://lists.logilab.org/pipermail/python-
projects/2009-September/002039.html

Sorry for the noise : if you're using a recent version of pylint, this has
been integrated in there for a while now...