Please Help, Retrive data from the web.

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by Robert, Oct 13, 2004.

  1. Robert

    Robert Guest

    Hosting: Windows 2003 Server, Asp3.0 , Asp.Net supported.

    I use asp cdosys for visitors to email me a form containing the message
    they type, + their ip address.

    I need to verify for statistic, where is that ip address located in.

    I do the following procedure that works fine, but i would like to automate it.

    1) I goto the following address http://www.ripe.net/db/whois/whois.html
    Is a pubblic whois service, for european region ip addresses

    2) I type the ipaddress in "searchtext" textbox

    3) i press "search" button ( that is called "do_search" )

    4) i check the row that contain the value Country : XX
    ( XX may be "US" or "UK" or whatever )

    I would like to automate the procedure and receive in the email
    not only the ip address but also the two letters for the
    corrisponding country

    P.S. : PLEASE don't propose/suggest me, any commercial product or service.

    Also I was wondering how to have in a web page something like

    Cities Temperatures :
    "London " & London_Temperature
    "Madrid " & Madrid_Temperature
    "Rome " & Rome_Temperature

    Of course i want updated data to display, with page load temperature
    to be checked somewhere in the web, and passed in the web page,
    possibly with ASP or ASP.Net , but i don't known how to do that.

    Any Help Appreciated.

    Best Regards.

    Robert.

    Robert, Oct 13, 2004

  2. "Robert" <> wrote in message
    > Hosting: Windows 2003 Server, Asp3.0 , Asp.Net supported.
    >
    > I use asp cdosys for visitors to email me a form containing the message
    > they type, + their ip address.
    >
    > I need to verify for statistic, where is that ip address located in.
    >

    > I do the following procedure that works fine, but i would like to automate
    > it.
    >
    > 1) I goto the following address http://www.ripe.net/db/whois/whois.html
    > Is a pubblic whois service, for european region ip addresses
    >
    > 2) I type the ipaddress in "searchtext" textbox
    >
    > 3) i press "search" button ( that is called "do_search" )
    >
    > 4) i check the row that contain the value Country : XX
    > ( XX may be "US" or "UK" or whatever )
    >

    > I would like to automate the procedure and receive in the email
    > not only the ip address but also the two letters for the
    > corrisponding country

    You could try this technique:
    http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2173

    --
    Tom Kaminski IIS MVP
    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/

    Tom Kaminski [MVP], Oct 13, 2004

  3. Robert

    Robert Guest

    I copied the following code from the web, it works, but retrive the
    full page.
    I'm intrested in the portion of text, between "country:" and
    "admin-c:"

    I should use regular expression, but i'm not familiar with them.
    Can You help ?

    Best Regards.

    Robert.

    This is default.asp
    <%
    'Intruduce the url you want to visit
    GotothisURL = "http://www.ripe.net/whois?form_type=simple&full_query_string=&searchtext=82.51.18.239&do_search=Search"
    ' Create the xml object
    Set GetConnection = CreateObject("Microsoft.XMLHTTP")
    ' Conect to specified URL
    GetConnection.Open "get", GotothisURL, False
    on error resume next
    GetConnection.Send

    ' ResponsePage is the response we will get when visiting GotothisURL
    ResponsePage = GetConnection.responseText

    ' We will write
    if ResponsePage="" then
    Response.write("The page is not available")
    else
    Response.write(ResponsePage)
    end if
    Set GetConnection = Nothing