Please help !!!! Server Error in Application !! Object variable or

Guest

Hi,

One urgent issue in ASP.Net.

We have hosted an asp.net application in a windows 2003 server machine. The
application runs well but ONCE IN A WHILE it comes up with the error, "Server
Error in '/CreditApplication' Application."
The error details are given below.

Sometimes, when we call the URL, it takes a long to load and finally doesnt
load and comes up with this error.

I dont understand why it works some time and doesnt work at other times.

The line in which the error is shown is a function, the contents of which
are given below.

*--------------------------------------

Private Sub LocContracts()
Dim OnlineConnection As New OnlineConnection
Dim Sql, SqlComm, SqlDR

Dim Branch = "ABHN"

Dim DBConnection = OnlineConnection.OnlineDBConnection
(Database)
Dim Trans As SqlClient.SqlTransaction =
DBConnection.BeginTransaction(IsolationLevel.ReadCommitted)
Sql = "Update Applications Set ContractType = 5,Repayment =
Case "
Sql = Sql & " when (LoanAmount * 3 / 100) > 40 Then
(LoanAmount * 3 /100)"
Sql = Sql & " else 40 End "
Sql = Sql & " where BranchId in ( Select BranchId from Branch
where BranchName = '" & Branch & "')"
Sql = Sql & " And ContractType = 0"

SqlComm = New SqlCommand(Sql, DBConnection)
SqlComm.Transaction = Trans
SqlDR = SqlComm.ExecuteReader()
Trans.Commit()

SqlDR.Close()
SqlComm = Nothing
Sql = Nothing
OnlineConnection = Nothing

End Sub

*--------------------------------------

I was wondering if it has anything to do with "isolationlevel.readcommitted"

The error message is given below

*--------------------------------------

Server Error in '/CreditApplication' Application.
Object variable or With block variable not set.

Exception Details: System.NullReferenceException: Object variable or With
block variable not set.

Source Error:
Stack Trace:
[NullReferenceException: Object variable or With block variable not set.]

Microsoft.VisualBasic.CompilerServices.LateBinding.LateGet(Object o, Type
objType, String name, Object[] args, String[] paramnames, Boolean[] CopyBack)
+934

Extraction.ViewApplication.LocContracts() in
D:\CreditApplication-1.0H\ViewApplication\ViewApplicationExtraction.aspx.vb:396

Extraction.ViewApplication.Page_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e) in
D:\CreditApplication-1.0H\ViewApplication\ViewApplicationExtraction.aspx.vb:54

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:1.1.4322.2300; ASP.NET
Version:1.1.4322.2300

*--------------------------------------

Any help would be really appreciated.
Many Thanks

carl

Which line is 396 in your code? It's attempting to use a NULL object
somewhere. Possibly the database connection failed in
OnlineDBConnection. If this is production code, you should add some
exception handling and logging for the DB connection and execution
calls.

Also, why use a DataReader to execute an Update statement? An
ExecuteNonQuery() seems more appropriate in this case.

-Carl

Guest

Hi Carl,

Thanks very much for your reply.
I have updated my code with ExecuteNonquery().

Line 396 in my code is given below

Dim Trans As SqlClient.SqlTransaction =
DBConnection.BeginTransaction(IsolationLevel.ReadCommitted)

As given in my post, iam getting this error only once in a while which is
really confusing me.

Regards,
Majo

rogercnorris

We have hosted an asp.net application in a windows 2003 server machine. The
application runs well but ONCE IN A WHILE it comes up with the error, "Server
Error in '/CreditApplication' Application."
The error details are given below.

Did you ever resolve this issue? I'm currently experiencing something
similar. An ASP.NET application was running fine on a Windows XP
machine. But now that we've moved it to Windows Server 2003, it
*sometimes* gets the error that you described:

System.NullReferenceException: Object variable or With block variable
not set.
at Microsoft.VisualBasic.CompilerServices.LateBinding.LateGet(Object
o, Type objType, String name, Object[] args, String[] paramnames,
Boolean[] CopyBack)

This is while accessing a COM object. Once again, it's worked
flawlessly on XP for quite a while now, but seems to occasionally have
problems on Windows Server 2003 (maybe the operating system isn't the
main issue, but I don't know what other differences exist).

- Roger

Guest

Hi Roger,

I havent solved my problem yet.

I was wondering if it has something to do with database locks. I checked for
any locks, but couldnt find any at the time of the error.

I have no idea how to solve this problem.

Please let me know if you come across any solutions.

Thanks
majo

[...]

This time, I got a new Server Error

"Fill: selectcommand.connection property has not been initialized" in
another asp page. This also comes only ONCE IN A WHILE.

The error is coming in the line with "Fill" in the code given below

*-------------------------------------
DBConnection = OnlineConn.OnlineDBConnection(Database)

Sql = KeyWord

Dim SqlCommand As New SqlCommand(Sql, DBConnection)
Dim SqlAdapter As New SqlDataAdapter(SqlCommand)
Dim DataSet As New DataSet
SqlAdapter.Fill(DataSet)

*-------------------------------------

While linking this with my previous error " Object variable with block ... "
, I was wondering if this error has anything to do with the database
connection.

Will this happen if the asp.net page is refreshed frequently ?

Thanks in advance for your help

Rgds,
Majo

majo said:
[...]

I created a new virtual directory in IIS and xcopied the whole content
(which is giving me the server error)

Right at the moment when i got the server error in my initial application, i
tried the new application which was created by me and it WORKED WELL.

Does this mean, that this server error has nothing to do with database locks
or IIS ?
I think, it has something to do with concurrent connections.
Can anyone help me with the connection parameters which i should use.

Many thanks...