Please help the newbie upload

KismetSwallowtail

I have designed a simple website for our organization at Western
Michigan University and followed their guidelines for uploading, using
FTP Explorer. However, every time anyone clicks onto the link for our
site, they get an 'index' containing a link to the page (and links to
graphics, etc.) instead of the actual web page. Can anyone tell me how
to fix this?

Thanks in advance-
KismetSwallowtail

Toby A Inkster

KismetSwallowtail said:
I have designed a simple website for our organization at Western
Michigan University and followed their guidelines for uploading, using
FTP Explorer. However, every time anyone clicks onto the link for our
site, they get an 'index' containing a link to the page (and links to
graphics, etc.) instead of the actual web page. Can anyone tell me how
to fix this?

Create a file called "index.html" or whatever your web server uses as
their default directory index file name (sometimes "default.html" or
something else).

PeterMcC

KismetSwallowtail said:
I have designed a simple website for our organization at Western
Michigan University and followed their guidelines for uploading, using
FTP Explorer. However, every time anyone clicks onto the link for our
site, they get an 'index' containing a link to the page (and links to
graphics, etc.) instead of the actual web page. Can anyone tell me how
to fix this?

Your home page should be in a file called index.html - it sounds as though
yours isn't. If that's the case, rename it as index.html - and you'll have
to rename the links that go back to the home page as well.