Please help this newbie with simple problem

Richard Fagen

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to DotNet and I'm trying to get ASPX pages to work but I'm
having problems. I suspect I haven't configured IIS or DotNet
frameworks properly.

I can open static pages (html) but dynamic pages are causing me problems.

Here's my configuration:
1) local PC running XP Pro & Dreamweaver MX 6.1 (fully patched)
2) remote PC running XP Pro, IIS 5.1, DotNet Frameworks 1.1
they are connected over a local peer LAN.

To configure a web site, here's what I did:
1) create a 'test1' folder under c:\inetpub\wwwroot for my application
(via Windows Explorer)
2) opened IIS, and right click on default web site and selected 'New
Virtual Directory...' to launch wizard
3) I gave it the same name (test1) and pointed to the
c:\inetpub\wwwroot\test1 folder
4) I left the defaults of 'read' & 'run scripts (such as ASP)' checked
This changed the icon in IIS

If I copy any HTML file to the folder, I can request the page over the
LAN and it works. Problem occurs when I try to reference an ASPX page.

- Is there some step I missed?
- Do I have to do anything in the DotNet 1.1 configuration applet? (I
left if alone for now)
- If I can open HTML files, can I assume my IIS is functioning properly?
- How can I test is with a small ASPX file?

Thanks for helping this newbie (to DotNet and ASP)

Richard

Kevin Spencer

LAN and it works. Problem occurs when I try to reference an ASPX page.

....and the Problem is?

Without any description of the problem, I can only guess that possibly your
ISAPI mappings in IIS aren't set up for ASP.Net. You can set them up by
running the command-line tool aspnet_regiis.exe -i

--
HTH,

Kevin Spencer
Microsoft MVP
..Net Developer
http://www.takempis.com
The more I learn, the less I know.

Richard Fagen

Hi Kevin,

You're right about me needing the aspnet_regiis.exe command, thanks!
While this solve one problem, it exposed another.

Here is what I am trying to do...
In the Dreamweaver tutorial, they include an Access database
(global.mdb) and have you create a document (customerComment.aspx) that
will read the database and display the records in a dynamic web page.

I created the ASPX file locally and uploaded it to the other PC (IIS
server with DotNet 1.1) and then I request the ASPX page in a browser.
Note the MDB file is on the IIS server in the same folder as the ASPX
file and I can view all the tables and records from my local PC via the
Dreameaver IDE. Instead of giving me the expected results, I get the
following....

Line #2 of my ASPX file is: (generated by Dreamweaver)

<%@ Register TagPrefix="MM" Namespace="DreamweaverCtrls"
Assembly="DreamweaverCtrls,version=1.0.0.0,publicKeyToken=836f606ede05d46a,culture=neutral"
%>

*** error below ***

to service this request. Please review the following specific parse
error details and modify you source file appropriately.

Parser Error Message: File or assembly name DreamweaverCtrls, or one of
its dependencies, was not found.

Assembly Load Trace:
===
LOG: Publish policy file is not found.
LOG: No redirect found in host configuration file
(C:\Windows\...aspnet.config
LOG: Using machine configuration file from
C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322\config.machine.config

====

Any ideas? Thanks again for helping out a newbie :)

Richard

MS News \(MS ILM\)

It looks like you are missing some assembly
did you upload the assembly file along with the aspx