    Netscape6+.

    Thanks,

    Paul
    Paul, Jan 22, 2004

  2. On 22 Jan 2004 09:39:20 -0800, Paul <> wrote:

    > I'd like to limit the number of selections a user can make in a
    > multiple select listbox. I have a note on the interface to say that
    > only x no. of items should be selected and I check the number server
    > side but I'd like to implement some javascript to do the same on the
    > client side.

    You'll need to provide some more information, namely, what should happen
    when a user selects a extra option? Should the user simply be alerted?
    Should some form of intelligent algorithm be applied to keep the number of
    selections within the prescribed limits?

    > Ideally I'd like the javascript to work in IE5+ and Netscape6+.

    Unless this is an Intranet application, I would hope you want it to work
    on my browser (Opera) and every other one in use, too. Move beyond the
    outdated 'two browser' world.

    Mike

    --
    Michael Winter
    Michael Winter, Jan 22, 2004

  3. Paul

    kaeli Guest

    In article <>,
    d enlightened us with...

    > > Ideally I'd like the javascript to work in IE5+ and Netscape6+.

    > Unless this is an Intranet application, I would hope you want it to work
    > on my browser (Opera) and every other one in use, too. Move beyond the
    > outdated 'two browser' world.

    Don't forget Safari. :)
    I hear it's getting very popular with Mac users...

    I myself use Mozilla or Netscape 7, depending on which computer I'm on.

    /glad I code for intranet apps these days

    ~kaeli~
    A midget fortune teller who escapes from prison is a small
    medium at large.
    http://www.ipwebdesign.net/wildAtHeart
    http://www.ipwebdesign.net/kaelisSpace
    kaeli, Jan 22, 2004
  4. [OT] Re: Please help to limit number of selections in multiple select list box

    On Thu, 22 Jan 2004 12:24:40 -0600, kaeli <>
    wrote:

    > In article <>,
    > d enlightened us with...
    >>
    >> > Ideally I'd like the javascript to work in IE5+ and Netscape6+.

    >> Unless this is an Intranet application, I would hope you want it to work
    >> on my browser (Opera) and every other one in use, too. Move beyond the
    >> outdated 'two browser' world.

    > Don't forget Safari. :)

    I didn't. :p

    "...every other one in use, too."

    > I hear it's getting very popular with Mac users...

    Really? Wonder why...

    > I myself use Mozilla or Netscape 7, depending on which computer I'm on.

    I personally can't stand the interface. There's something about it that
    just seems ugly to me. Other than that, their fine applications.

    Mike

    --
    Michael Winter
    Michael Winter, Jan 22, 2004
  5. Paul

    kaeli Guest

    Re: [OT] Re: Please help to limit number of selections in multiple select list box

    In article <>,
    d enlightened us with...
    > On Thu, 22 Jan 2004 12:24:40 -0600, kaeli <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > > In article <>,
    > > d enlightened us with...

    > >> Unless this is an Intranet application, I would hope you want it to work
    > >> on my browser (Opera) and every other one in use, too. Move beyond the
    > >> outdated 'two browser' world.

    > > Don't forget Safari. :)

    > I didn't. :p

    Oh, I know, I was referring to the OP.

    Sorry.

    > > I myself use Mozilla or Netscape 7, depending on which computer I'm on.

    > I personally can't stand the interface. There's something about it that
    > just seems ugly to me. Other than that, their fine applications.

    Oh, they ARE ugly.
    I use themes, specifically a really pretty blue one called Sky Pilot
    Classic. :)
    I tried Opera a while back and tons of sites didn't work with it (it had
    crappy CSS and DHTML support), but I loved the tabbed browsing and lack
    of popups. So, I got into Mozilla and liked it a lot. I haven't tried
    Opera again, but I think it's gotten way better since I last tried it,
    around V5.
    At work, only IE and NN are available. So, I use NN7 here.

    ~kaeli~
    A man needs a mistress... just to break the monogamy.
    kaeli, Jan 22, 2004
  6. Re: [OT] Re: Please help to limit number of selections in multiple select list box

    On Thu, 22 Jan 2004 13:46:28 -0600, kaeli <>
    wrote:

    > In article <>,
    > d enlightened us with...
    >
    >> I personally can't stand the interface. There's something about it that
    >> just seems ugly to me. Other than that, their fine applications.

    ^^^^^
    D'oh. That, of course, should have been "they're".

    > Oh, they ARE ugly.
    > I use themes, specifically a really pretty blue one called Sky Pilot
    > Classic. :)

    Glad I'm not the only one with that opinion. I'll be giving Mozilla
    another go once I re-install Linux. I didn't know you could skin it
    (didn't keep it around long enough to find out).

    > I tried Opera a while back and tons of sites didn't work with it (it had
    > crappy CSS and DHTML support), but I loved the tabbed browsing and lack
    > of popups. So, I got into Mozilla and liked it a lot. I haven't tried
    > Opera again, but I think it's gotten way better since I last tried it,
    > around V5.

    Opera's support for virtually everything is pretty good now. There are
    some sites that break with it though, but that's more than likely the
    short-sightedness of the web developer, not the browser[1].

    There are some things that need improving, such as XHTML support (scripts
    don't work in XHTML mode), but the list of items not implemented is quite
    small[2]. Certainly, everything in common use has been supported. If you
    want to take a look at the list, the address is
    http://www.opera.com/docs/specs/

    Mike

    [1] I usually have problems with these same sites using IE 5.5, so draw
    your own conclusions.
    [2] OK, it's not exactly 'small', but the bits missing are rather
    insignificant.

    --
    Michael Winter
    Michael Winter, Jan 22, 2004
  7. Paul

    kaeli Guest

    Re: [OT] Re: Please help to limit number of selections in multiple select list box

    In article <>,
    d enlightened us with...

    > > Oh, they ARE ugly.
    > > I use themes, specifically a really pretty blue one called Sky Pilot
    > > Classic. :)

    > Glad I'm not the only one with that opinion. I'll be giving Mozilla
    > another go once I re-install Linux. I didn't know you could skin it
    > (didn't keep it around long enough to find out).

    Well, there's not a whole hell of a lot out there, but there's a decent
    number over at the Mozilla site.

    Note for any NN users reading this - I just got NN7. I tried to skin it
    with the stuff from NN's site and got errors because all their links
    still point to NN6 and NN7 won't use the themes from NN6. Go over to
    Mozilla's theme site instead of Netscape's theme park and you won't have
    that problem.
    http://themes.mozdev.org/

    > Opera's support for virtually everything is pretty good now. There are
    > some sites that break with it though, but that's more than likely the
    > short-sightedness of the web developer, not the browser[1].

    Good to know.
    My main problem with it was a lack of .style support even though it
    supported getElementById. Almost no one checks for .style - they assume
    if a browser supports getElementById, it supports both. Also, there are
    way too many sites that still use browser detection instead of object
    detection, so they try to do IE-only things with Opera if I have it set
    to spoof IE, but do nothing if I leave it as Opera.
    Do you have that problem with the new version?

    ~kaeli~
    With her marriage, she got a new name and a dress.
    kaeli, Jan 22, 2004
  8. Re: [OT] Re: Please help to limit number of selections in multiple select list box

    "Michael Winter" <> wrote in message
    <snip>
    >... (scripts don't work in XHTML mode), ...

    <snip>

    That isn't strictly true. Opera 7 doesn't recognise script elements but
    it does recognise and execute intrinsic events. With a bit of work you
    can get quite a lot of code into an event handling attribute string (I
    think it is something like 64Kb).

    Combining the code in the onclick attributes of 4 <input type="button">
    elements (which I had to click in the correct order to properly
    initialise the script) I was able to get one of my DOM scanning scripts
    running on an XHTML page[1] in Opera 7, allowing me to verify that they
    have implemented more of the HTML DOM in their XHTML DOM implementation
    than Mozilla has.

    Richard.

    [1] A valid XHTML page served as application/xhtml+xml rather than
    text/html (which results in a normal HTML DOM).
    Richard Cornford, Jan 22, 2004
  9. Re: [OT] Re: Please help to limit number of selections in multipleselect list box

    kaeli <> writes:

    {Opera support of stuff]
    > My main problem with it was a lack of .style support even though it
    > supported getElementById. Almost no one checks for .style - they assume
    > if a browser supports getElementById, it supports both.

    What version of Opera was that? Or are you referring to Opera 6's limited
    DHTML capability (can't change display property etc.)? Because I can see
    style properties back to Opera 4 at least (document.body.style exists).

    Opera 7's CSS 2 support is almost perfect (on the same level as
    Mozilla's - only minor details are not absolutely correct).

    > Also, there are way too many sites that still use browser detection
    > instead of object detection, so they try to do IE-only things with
    > Opera if I have it set to spoof IE, but do nothing if I leave it as
    > Opera. Do you have that problem with the new version?

    They are rare, and usually say something like "We only support IE v4
    and Netscape v4 or better, click here to upgrade your browser" (which
    I mentally translate to "I am a clueless moron, please kick me").
    That is, they are easily identifiable.

    /L
    --
    Lasse Reichstein Nielsen -
    Lasse Reichstein Nielsen, Jan 22, 2004
  10. Re: [OT] Re: Please help to limit number of selections in multiple select list box

    On Thu, 22 Jan 2004 14:21:43 -0600, kaeli <>
    wrote:

    > In article <>,
    > d enlightened us with...
    >>
    >> Opera's support for virtually everything is pretty good now. There are
    >> some sites that break with it though, but that's more than likely the
    >> short-sightedness of the web developer, not the browser[1].

    > Good to know.
    > My main problem with it was a lack of .style support even though it
    > supported getElementById. Almost no one checks for .style - they assume
    > if a browser supports getElementById, it supports both. Also, there are
    > way too many sites that still use browser detection instead of object
    > detection, so they try to do IE-only things with Opera if I have it set
    > to spoof IE, but do nothing if I leave it as Opera.
    > Do you have that problem with the new version?

    I never spoof as IE and I've only had two sites that flat-out refuse to
    work:

    1) Mr. Morgenstern's ISKEET site (posted to this group - now been fixed)
    2) A site recommended by Netscape for DOM tutorials,
    http://www.getelementbyid.com/ [1]

    As for .style, Opera seems to support it quite nicely. Of course, if it
    didn't, I'm not likely to notice but a few sites have performed dynamic
    background colour changes on mouse movement, and the like.

    Mike

    [1] Obviously, if a site states, "Sorry, this site is optimized for
    Internet Explorer 5 and Netscape 6!!!" and it is supposed to teach how to
    script sites, it's not very good, and not worth my time. We'll see what
    Netscape thinks of such a practice: I asked them to remove the site from
    their list.

    --
    Michael Winter
    Michael Winter, Jan 22, 2004
  11. Paul

    Paul Guest

    Hi Mike,

    Thanks for the response. All I'm looking for is a simple alert when
    the form is submitted.

    Thanks,

    Paul

    Paul, Jan 23, 2004
  12. Paul

    Padam Jain Guest

    kaeli <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > In article <>,
    > d enlightened us with...
    > >
    > > > Ideally I'd like the javascript to work in IE5+ and Netscape6+.

    > > Unless this is an Intranet application, I would hope you want it to work
    > > on my browser (Opera) and every other one in use, too. Move beyond the
    > > outdated 'two browser' world.
    > >

    > Don't forget Safari. :)
    > I hear it's getting very popular with Mac users...
    >
    > I myself use Mozilla or Netscape 7, depending on which computer I'm on.
    >
    > /glad I code for intranet apps these days
    >
    > --

    Hi
    U can do it by calling a javascript function on client side also
    u just use this javascript function. call "limitOptions" function
    "onchange" event of the list box. like this
    onChange="javascript:limitOptions(this,5)". here 5 is the max number
    of selection u want to allow
    all the best

    function limitOptions(oSel, howmany)
    {
    var opt, i = 0, msg = '', thismany = howmany, toomany = new Array();
    while (opt = oSel.options[i++])
    {
    if (opt.selected) --howmany;
    {
    if (howmany < 0)
    {
    toomany[toomany.length] = opt;
    if (howmany < 0)
    {
    msg += 'The maximum number of selections allowed in this list is ' +
    thismany + '.';
    msg += '\n\nPlease observe this limit.\n\n';
    alert(msg);
    i = 0;
    while (opt = toomany[i++]) opt.selected = false;
    return false;

    Padam
    Padam Jain, Jan 23, 2004
  13. Paul

    kaeli Guest

    Re: [OT] Re: Please help to limit number of selections in multiple select list box

    In article <>,
    d enlightened us with...

    > As for .style, Opera seems to support it quite nicely. Of course, if it
    > didn't, I'm not likely to notice but a few sites have performed dynamic
    > background colour changes on mouse movement, and the like.

    It didn't when I tried it. Maybe I need to check it out again...
    I'm curious if my work apps would function in it now. heh

    > [1] Obviously, if a site states, "Sorry, this site is optimized for
    > Internet Explorer 5 and Netscape 6!!!" and it is supposed to teach how to
    > script sites, it's not very good, and not worth my time. We'll see what
    > Netscape thinks of such a practice: I asked them to remove the site from
    > their list.

    Well, I get your point, but there are some things that just can't be
    done in some browsers. I don't do those things for my internet stuff,
    but I do for my intranet apps. So, to me, scripts that only work in IE5
    +/NN7+ are just fine (and sometimes great) for some of my applications.
    I know the banking site I use requires IE5+ to work well. I've used it
    with Mozilla and it does fine, but I know it would crash the old Opera.
    The thing is, most bank customers use IE and they want all this dynamic
    stuff, so the bank tries to comply and they end up breaking the site for
    other browsers.

    In a perfect world, all the browsers would have a real standard that
    they all supported so we didn't drive ourselves crazy trying to code for
    them. I know we're getting there, but you can't ask that all sites still
    support archaic browsers, like NN4 and Opera 5, when the majority of the
    customers want the bells and whistles available in the newer browsers.
    Sure, anyone can learn to not *crash* old browsers by using object
    detection, but some things simply can't be done in them (one of my DB
    apps at work can't be done in NN4 for example, as the browser crashed
    repeatedly with the large amount of buffering that was required for
    large queries).
    /MHO only YMMV

    ~kaeli~
    When you choke a smurf, what color does it turn?
    kaeli, Jan 23, 2004
  14. Paul

    kaeli Guest

    Re: [OT] Re: Please help to limit number of selections in multiple

    In article <>, enlightened us
    with...

    > What version of Opera was that? Or are you referring to Opera 6's limited
    > DHTML capability (can't change display property etc.)? Because I can see
    > style properties back to Opera 4 at least (document.body.style exists).

    The former, and it was O5.
    A simple color change with .style failed in it.

    > Opera 7's CSS 2 support is almost perfect (on the same level as
    > Mozilla's - only minor details are not absolutely correct).

    Neat. After the comments here, I think I need to look at it again.

    > > Also, there are way too many sites that still use browser detection
    > > instead of object detection, so they try to do IE-only things with
    > > Opera if I have it set to spoof IE, but do nothing if I leave it as
    > > Opera. Do you have that problem with the new version?

    > They are rare, and usually say something like "We only support IE v4
    > and Netscape v4 or better, click here to upgrade your browser" (which
    > I mentally translate to "I am a clueless moron, please kick me").

    ROFL!!!
    I still see quite a few of those kinds of posts here, though, and even
    still see it in a few tutorial sites (probably not updated in ages, but
    how's a newbie to know that?).

    ~kaeli~
    If a book about failures doesn't sell, is it a success?
    kaeli, Jan 23, 2004
  15. On 23 Jan 2004 01:46:35 -0800, Paul <> wrote:

    > Thanks for the response. All I'm looking for is a simple alert when
    > the form is submitted.

    This function will check that the given SELECT element contains fewer than
    'maximum' selected options.

    function checkLimits( list, maximum ) {
    var options = list.options;
    var size = options.length;
    var numSelected = 0;

    for( var i = 0; i < size; ++i ) {
    if( options[ i ].selected ) ++numSelected;
    }
    if( numSelected > maximum ) {
    alert( 'You have selected more than ' + maximum + ' options.\n' +
    'Please deselect ' + ( numSelected - maximum ) + ' option(s) then
    try again.' );
    return false;
    }
    return true;
    }

    To call it directly from a form's onsubmit event, you could do:

    <select ... onsubmit="return checkLimits(this.listName, 2)">

    Mike

    --
    Michael Winter
    Michael Winter, Jan 23, 2004
  16. Re: [OT] Re: Please help to limit number of selections in multiple

    "kaeli" <> wrote in message
    >>What version of Opera was that? ...

    <snip>

    >The former, and it was O5.
    >A simple color change with .style failed in it.

    <snip>

    Opera 5 did (does?) have a style object, it only had about 20 properties
    (and those included the non-standard IE pixelTop/Left/Width/Height) so
    there was never much you could do even when the browser allowed it. But
    as I recall, for example, setting style.background to a color did change
    the background color of elements while setting style.backgroundColor did
    not.

    Richard.
    Richard Cornford, Jan 23, 2004
  17. Re: [OT] Re: Please help to limit number of selections in multiple select list box

    "kaeli" <> wrote in message
    <snip>
    >... , most bank customers use IE and they want all this dynamic
    >stuff, so the bank tries to comply and they end up breaking the
    >site for other browsers.

    <snip>

    Do the customers really want all this dynamic stuff? I would have
    thought that from the customer's point of view a safe, secure, reliable
    system that allowed them to transact the business that need to transact
    as quickly and easily as possible is the requirement. And that is easily
    done cross-browser (and without JavaScript).

    The client-side dynamic stuff can be layered on top, as an optional
    extra, as there is no need for it and probably little real demand. Who
    goes to their back when they are looking for entertainment, or would
    trust that bank with their money if they fond it upon arrival?

    Richard.
    Richard Cornford, Jan 23, 2004
  18. Paul

    kaeli Guest

    Re: [OT] Re: Please help to limit number of selections in multiple select list box

    In article <burgfl$bvb$1$>,
    enlightened us with...
    > "kaeli" <> wrote in message
    > <snip>
    > >... , most bank customers use IE and they want all this dynamic
    > >stuff, so the bank tries to comply and they end up breaking the
    > >site for other browsers.

    > <snip>
    >
    > Do the customers really want all this dynamic stuff?

    I would assume so, since the notice when they upgraded stated so and
    apologized for any inconvenience.
    *shrugs*

    I personally think the changes were great, but I use NN7 or Mozilla 1.4
    or IE6, so I don't have too many problems with most sites. I suspect if
    I was a Mac user with Safari, I might be a bit more disappointed (I'm
    not sure how that browser stacks up). I do know they do a lot of
    createElement type stuff that wouldn't work on old browsers and it
    wouldn't work (at least nearly as well) without javascript.
    I love it, though. I think the site is MUCH easier to navigate and more
    pleasant to use now.

    A small example from my own (intranet) experience - a form to ask for
    help. The form is created on the fly, with elements created based on
    previous choices. This saves my users a lot of typing and saves me
    having to ask them narrowing-down questions in mail replies or having
    the application submit to page after page depending on answers. I never
    did get it to work nicely in NN4 (tried document.write to layers, but it
    sure wasn't pretty). When we upgraded to NN6 here, I could do a lot more
    with my stuff and my users unilaterally loved it all. Another small
    example would be the ability to sort tables client-side. That was
    something I couldn't do until now, either. It used to be done with
    another request to the server. My users ADORE this addition.

    ~kaeli~
    Those who get too big for their britches will be exposed in
    the end.
    kaeli, Jan 23, 2004
  19. Paul

    kaeli Guest

    Re: [OT] Re: Please help to limit number of selections in multiple select list box

    In article <>,
    d enlightened us with...

    > I never spoof as IE and I've only had two sites that flat-out refuse to
    > work:

    [opera]

    Here's another one.
    The DHTML menu I use.
    I have no idea what it doesn't like, but it obviously has something to
    do with one of the changes I put in to make it work in NN7.0, since the
    original works fine.

    Is there a debugger for it, like "javascript:" in NN?

    ~kaeli~
    Hey, if you got it flaunt it! If you don't stare at someone
    who does. Just don't lick the TV screen, it leaves streaks.
    kaeli, Jan 23, 2004
  20. Re: [OT] Re: Please help to limit number of selections in multiple select list box

    On Fri, 23 Jan 2004 11:59:51 -0600, kaeli <>
    wrote:

    > Here's another one.
    > The DHTML menu I use.
    > I have no idea what it doesn't like, but it obviously has something to
    > do with one of the changes I put in to make it work in NN7.0, since the
    > original works fine.
    >
    > Is there a debugger for it [Opera], like "javascript:" in NN?

    The built-in JavaScript console can trace errors, identifing where the
    error originated (an onclick event, for example) and traverse up through
    the call stack to the statement that contains the error. It will describe
    the error, and show exceptions, too.

    If it doesn't pop up automatically[1], you can open it from Window >
    Special > JavaScript console.

    Be aware that the 'Clear' button only temporarily clears the window. If
    you close the console and re-open it, all previous errors will appear.
    Only closing the browser will permanently remove all entries. If you
    intend to use it to debug, open the console, clear it, then test. Also
    notice that it appears on the Taskbar, not as a tab.

    Mike

    [1] Set by File > Preferences > Multimedia > JavaScript options > Open
    JavaScript console on error

    --
    Michael Winter
    Michael Winter, Jan 23, 2004