Please help with CSS problem!

Gavin

I have the code below in my html page:

<a onclick="P7_swapClass(1,'sub1','sectionon','sectionoff','div')"
href="javascript:;">On
Air...</a> </font>
<DIV class=sectionoff id=sub1><a href="main.php?page=onair" >On
href="main.php?page=onair" >On
Air 3</a> </font>

I have a CSS file saying what the menu tags should be formated like, but
when the new drop down menu appears it doesn't display any text or links?

The CCS file is below if needed.

Thanks

Gavin.

#sched a:link { text-decoration: none; color: #000000 }
#sched a:active { text-decoration: none; color: #000000 }
#sched a:visited { text-decoration: none; color: #000000 }
#sched a { text-decoration: none; color: #000000 }
#sched a:hover {
text-decoration: none;
color: #FFFFFF;
background-repeat: no-repeat;
}

#h1
{
font-family: Verdana;
font-size: 18pt;
text-decoration: underline;
font-weight: bold
}

#menu a:link, #menu a:active, #menu a:visited, #menu a {
color: #000000;
display: block;
text-decoration: none;
background-image: none;
width: 125px;
padding-top: 5px;
padding-right: 2px;
padding-bottom: 5px;
padding-left: 20px;
font-size: 11px;
font-style: normal;
line-height: normal;
font-weight: normal;
font-variant: normal;
text-transform: none;
height: 30px;
}

#menu a:hover {
color: #CCCCCC;
display: block;
width:125px;
padding: 5px 2px 5px 20px;
background-image: none;

}

..sectionoff {
VISIBILITY: hidden; FONT: 11px Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;
POSITION: absolute
}
..sectionon {
VISIBILITY: visible; POSITION: static
}

..sectionon A {
PADDING-RIGHT: 2px; DISPLAY: block; PADDING-LEFT: 15px; BACKGROUND-IMAGE:
none; PADDING-BOTTOM: 2px; FONT: 11px Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;
COLOR: #000000; PADDING-TOP: 2px; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cdbfde
}
..sectionon A:link {
COLOR: #000000; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cdbfde
}
..sectionon A:visited {
COLOR: #000000; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cdbfde
}
..sectionon A:hover {
BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cdbfde; TEXT-DECORATION: underline
}
..sectionon A:active {
COLOR: #000000; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cdbfde
}
..sectionoff {
VISIBILITY: hidden; FONT: 11px Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;
POSITION: absolute
}
#sub1 a {
font-size: 11px;
font-style: normal;
line-height: normal;
font-weight: normal;
font-variant: normal;
text-transform: none;
color: #00FF00;
text-decoration: none;

David Dorward

Gavin said:
I have the code below in my html page:

<a onclick="P7_swapClass(1,'sub1','sectionon','sectionoff','div')"
href="javascript:;">

Why is this an anchor?

Why doesn't the href point to anything useful?
On
Air...</a> </font>

You have a </font>, but no <font> (not that you should be using the font
element anyway - it *is* 2005 now).

You should probably pay a visit to http://validator.w3.org/
1</a> <a hre

Nothing between anchors except white space, this isn't a good idea. The
links will tend to blur into each other and be difficult to tell apart.

Since you appear to have a list of links, why doesn't your markup reflect
that? http://css.maxdesign.com.au/listamatic/

font-family: Verdana;

The trouble with Verdana is that it encourages authors to use very small
fonts. This wouldn't be too bad if you could be certain that every visitor
will have Verdana installed (its more readable then most fonts at very
small sizes), but you can't.
font-size: 18pt;

Browsers are not very good at knowing the correct DPI of the system, so the
point unit is highly inappropriate for use on screen. It also causes
additional problems in Internet Explorer since that browser provides no
convenient way to resize text specified in points.

http://css-discuss.incutio.com/?page=UsingPoints
#menu a:link, #menu a:active, #menu a:visited, #menu a {
color: #000000;

It isn't a very good idea to set visited and unvisited links to be the same
colour - you remove a very useful visual clue from the user by doing so.
font-size: 11px;

11px is very small (see my previous point about Verdana), and also suffers
from the resizing issue in MSIE.

http://css-discuss.incutio.com/?page=UsingPixels
I have a CSS file saying what the menu tags should be formated like, but
when the new drop down menu appears it doesn't display any text or links?

Since you have failed to provide a complete set of code to recreate this
problem, its rather difficult to tell. Try providing a URL to a live
example (URLs are much between then a bunch of files since whomever decides
to help would have to recreate your files, which takes time - and they
aren't being paid to help you).

I'd suggest you fix any machine detectable syntax errors though. (Some good
reasons for that can be found at
http://diveintomark.org/archives/2003/05/05/why_we_wont_help_you )

gavin

Thanks for all the info.

This:
was borrowed for a tutorial site. I just copy and pasted it!

I think alot of the problem is that all of this code has been imported from
frontpage (oooooo :() ) ! I am fairly new to dreamweaver and it is causing
me a few problems!

Thanks for all the advice though.

Gavin.