Please help with floating divs

Discussion in 'HTML' started by hithrustkick@gmail.com, Aug 21, 2007.

  1. Guest

    , Aug 21, 2007

  2. wrote:
    > Hi my website uses two divs for the navigation and the main body. The
    > left div pushes the content in the right div down below itself. Does
    > anyone know why? Nothing I try seems to help. Here is a link:
    >
    > http://www.detectivedavid.com/newlighthousewebsite/index.php
    >
    > Thanks!

    class 'flush' has clear:both clears the floated navbar so will move
    *below* #navbar... This is correct behavior correct clear property.

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

    Jonathan N. Little, Aug 21, 2007

    On Aug 21, 12:58 pm, "Jonathan N. Little" <>
    wrote:
    > wrote:
    > > Hi my website uses two divs for the navigation and the main body. The
    > > left div pushes the content in the right div down below itself. Does
    > > anyone know why? Nothing I try seems to help. Here is a link:

    > >http://www.detectivedavid.com/newlighthousewebsite/index.php

    > > Thanks!

    > class 'flush' has clear:both clears the floated navbar so will move
    > *below* #navbar... This is correct behavior correct clear property.
    >
    > --
    > Take care,
    >
    > Jonathan
    > -------------------
    > LITTLE WORKS STUDIOhttp://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

    That div is a separate div from the content area div, and I was
    wanting that one to go under the navbar, so that there would be a
    space between the footer. Removing that div did fix the problem with
    the left navbar pushing the content down, but now my margins are
    broken, and I'm not sure that was root of the problem, though it does
    look to be something with clearing. Any other ideas? Thanks again.

    , Aug 21, 2007

    Oh, oops. You meant the other class=flush divs. Taking those out
    solved the problem. Thanks a ton!

    , Aug 21, 2007
  5. wrote:
    > On Aug 21, 12:58 pm, "Jonathan N. Little" <>
    > wrote:
    >> wrote:
    >>> Hi my website uses two divs for the navigation and the main body. The
    >>> left div pushes the content in the right div down below itself. Does
    >>> anyone know why? Nothing I try seems to help. Here is a link:
    >>> http://www.detectivedavid.com/newlighthousewebsite/index.php
    >>> Thanks!

    >> class 'flush' has clear:both clears the floated navbar so will move
    >> *below* #navbar... This is correct behavior correct clear property.

    <snip signatures>

    > That div is a separate div from the content area div, and I was
    > wanting that one to go under the navbar, so that there would be a
    > space between the footer. Removing that div did fix the problem with
    > the left navbar pushing the content down, but now my margins are
    > broken, and I'm not sure that was root of the problem, though it does
    > look to be something with clearing. Any other ideas? Thanks again.

    Does not matter, a 'clear' clears *all* floated elements the precede the
    clearing element regardless if it is a direct decedent or not.

    Float your little pics to the right but for the paragraphs only
    *clear: right* not *both* so not to effect the navbar.

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------

    Jonathan N. Little, Aug 21, 2007
  6. wrote:
    > Oh, oops. You meant the other class=flush divs. Taking those out
    > solved the problem. Thanks a ton!

    GG strikes again! How to screw up a post on so many levels...

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan

    Jonathan N. Little, Aug 22, 2007