please help with newsletter set up...

Discussion in 'HTML' started by eve, Sep 15, 2003.

  1. eve

    eve Guest

    Hello,
    I have a client, very much a beginner, that is getting a site designed by
    me. She has already been sending 'newsletters' to select customers that
    sign up for them, however, she is sending them like a regular e-mail,
    through her regular e-mail client. She has about 200 people already
    subscribed. Right now, she has to make the e-mail (looks like this- simple,,
    just a list of new products, events, etc.) and send them to 50 people at a
    time, a max of 100 a day. so to send one newsletter, it takes 3 days...
    pitiful! I am helping her set up a newsletter.

    I know there are many options, one I remember in particular, it was free and
    pretty user friendly, but I cant remember what it is. Basically, I need a
    free service, web based, that I can set up for her, import her list of
    subscribers, etc. and allow her to log in, fill in the blanks for the
    newsletter, in a template based setting (I want it to look like a real
    newsletter- 2 or 3 column, heading, etc. because she prints this out to have
    on her counter at the store for customers without e-mails)

    The one I remember had a well designed site, professional, etc. They did
    have a small ad at the bottom of the newsletters sent. but that is ok, she
    will probably upgrade in a while, once she recovers from the site design.

    I seem to be having a blank, I have searched for a solution, but cant find
    one... anyone know what site I am talking about, or a similar site that will
    fit my needs?

    If this doesn't work, she will just have to e-mail me every month and I will
    format it in newsletter form then mail it back so she can print and
    e-mail.... I do not want to have to do that....

    thanks!!
    eve

    eve, Sep 15, 2003

  2. eve

    Adrienne Guest

    Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "eve" <> writing
    in news:mSd9b.447936$YN5.303472@sccrnsc01:

    > Hello,
    > I have a client, very much a beginner, that is getting a site designed
    > by me. She has already been sending 'newsletters' to select customers
    > that sign up for them, however, she is sending them like a regular
    > e-mail, through her regular e-mail client. She has about 200 people
    > already subscribed. Right now, she has to make the e-mail (looks like
    > this- simple,, just a list of new products, events, etc.) and send them
    > to 50 people at a time, a max of 100 a day. so to send one newsletter,
    > it takes 3 days... pitiful! I am helping her set up a newsletter.
    >
    > I know there are many options, one I remember in particular, it was
    > free and pretty user friendly, but I cant remember what it is.
    > Basically, I need a free service, web based, that I can set up for her,
    > import her list of subscribers, etc. and allow her to log in, fill in
    > the blanks for the newsletter, in a template based setting (I want it
    > to look like a real newsletter- 2 or 3 column, heading, etc. because
    > she prints this out to have on her counter at the store for customers
    > without e-mails)
    >
    > The one I remember had a well designed site, professional, etc. They
    > did have a small ad at the bottom of the newsletters sent. but that is
    > ok, she will probably upgrade in a while, once she recovers from the
    > site design.
    >
    > I seem to be having a blank, I have searched for a solution, but cant
    > find one... anyone know what site I am talking about, or a similar site
    > that will fit my needs?
    >
    > If this doesn't work, she will just have to e-mail me every month and I
    > will format it in newsletter form then mail it back so she can print
    > and e-mail.... I do not want to have to do that....
    >
    > thanks!!
    > eve

    You might want to suggest Group Mail from http://www.infacta.com . It will
    do HTML or plain text email, and has very good membership management as
    well as mail merge capability. If she wants to send HTML email, she could
    possibly use a WYSIWG HTML editor to create the newsletter itself, then use
    Group Mail to send it.

    Now that I have said that, please note that I do not advocate HTML email,
    as a matter of fact I have my email client filter it. I also do not
    advocate WYSIWYG HTML editors, but until your client learns HTML markup,
    this could be a solution.

    --
    Adrienne Boswell
    http://www.arbpen.com

    Adrienne, Sep 15, 2003

  3. eve

    PC Guest

    I also recommend Group Mail (http://www.infacta.com) - there's a free
    version and two ones you have to pay for. I personally think that
    paying for the version with more features is worth it.

    The program does have a basic HTML editing add-on, but as was
    suggested earlier, I'd recommend that you use a good HTML editor such
    as the BestAddress HTML Editor (http://www.mmaus.com/bestaddress.html)
    and create a template that your client can use. Once you have a
    template set up, it should be easy from there. As for learning HTML,
    if you already establish a template for them, they wouldn't need to
    learn more than a couple of formatting tags.

    PC, Sep 16, 2003
  4. eve

    POKO Guest

    In article <mSd9b.447936$YN5.303472@sccrnsc01>, says...

    > Hello,
    > I have a client, very much a beginner, that is getting a site designed by
    > me. She has already been sending 'newsletters' to select customers that
    >snip
    > thanks!!
    > eve

    A simple fix:
    Have your client secure a domain. Design a web page about what service
    she offers. Your weekly newsletter can be written and given a distict
    file name which can be linked to from her web page.
    This "online approach" saves you a lot of bother and makes the
    newsletter available the same day to all.
    Best,
    POKO
    --
    P. Keenan - Webmaster, Keenan Consulting
    http://www.keenanconsulting.on.ca

    POKO, Sep 16, 2003