please help with webservice problem

David

When I call a webservice with an ASP.NET application, I get the following
error:

"The underlying connection was closed: Unable to connect to the remote
server. "

With my brower, I can get the asmx page and get the expected output on the
page.

With a console application, I can call the webservice and retrieve from it
what I am supposed to retrieve.

Only when an ASP.NET application calls the web service, do I get the "the
underlying connection was closed: Unable to connect to the remote server"
error message.

The only relevent msdn page
(http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;819450) isn't very
helpful. It says MS has confirmed it as a bug, and says to contact them
for a fix!!!! And there might be a charge! ARE YOU KIDDING ME?

The last time I contacted them, it was like talking to a wall.

Thanks. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ken Cox [Microsoft MVP]

Hi David,

Is it possible that the ASP.NET account doesn't have permission to access
that Web service? IE and a console app would pass through your personal
authentication but not a process.

You might want to put the Web service in debug mode and set a break point so
you can step through and see just what the error message is.

Ken

bruce barker

the bug in the article is about .net not correctly supporting keep-alives in
verion 1.0. you can upgrade to 1.1 for free or if you must stick with 1.0,
turn keep-alive off for the web site.

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)

| When I call a webservice with an ASP.NET application, I get the following
| error:
|
| "The underlying connection was closed: Unable to connect to the remote
| server. "
|
| With my brower, I can get the asmx page and get the expected output on
the
| page.
|
| With a console application, I can call the webservice and retrieve from it
| what I am supposed to retrieve.
|
| Only when an ASP.NET application calls the web service, do I get the "the
| underlying connection was closed: Unable to connect to the remote server"
| error message.
|
| The only relevent msdn page
| (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;819450) isn't
very
| helpful. It says MS has confirmed it as a bug, and says to contact them
| for a fix!!!! And there might be a charge! ARE YOU KIDDING ME?
|
| The last time I contacted them, it was like talking to a wall.
|
| Thanks. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ken Cox [Microsoft MVP]

Hi David,

Are you using .NET 1.0 or 1.1? The article suggests it is a 1.0 problem.

At any rate, I'd phone MS Support and tell them you want the fix they are
advertising. You shouldn't be charged for a bug fix. Make sure you have the
KB article number handy.

Ken

David

I am using 1.1