Please help writing dynamic output to new window???

Bob Mariotti

G'day all;

I'm having the dickins of a time understanding this. Here is what I
wish to do:

User access URL which is php script
Athentication page is presented.
User keys in info
if NOT authorized script rewrites page with error message.
if ACCEPTED then script need to:
1) open new browser window
2) output dynamically generated content to that new window
3) exit

Perhaps there's a better way to handle this but here is the reason for
the 2nd window

It's history related.

If the user logs in successfully then visits multiple places within
the site then logs out (i.e.: returns to the login page) all the
history is still available.

If after authentication a 2nd window is opened then upon logging out
the 2nd window was closed, all the history goes with it and what's
remaining is the original login screen available to be used again.

Please, can someone please advise how to best handle this and/or
provide some examples of steps 1,2 and 3 above?

My web language is php 4.2.2 and perl 5.8.0 both on apache 2.0.40 and,
I believe, javascript is what much be used to accomplish what is
desired.

Thanks

Bob